Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

Great updates coming to BG3:

b8ce7cdc83de6baa5819efe0d3498809a14ecf85
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hello all, Since launching last month, a lot of tweaks and updates can already be seen in Baldur's Gate 3. Over the past few weeks we've chased down bugs, polished up some cinematics, and used your feedback to help organize our thoughts and inform our plans going forward. The first major patch just launched, solving over 1000 bugs to hopefully make Baldur’s Gate 3 an even better experience. But it was still a patch designed primarily to...

The highlights are:

• They're expanding the epilogue for the characters, starting with Karlach who will get more epilogue info in Patch 2.
  • Performance improvements across the board, but in particular in Act 3.
  • They will be making it so if you start a coop game and then play without your friend, you can hide their character (in the most Larian way possible) and free the slot for a regular party member. Then if they rejoin later, you can bring their character back.

c51581c57948b36b2c70affc89306cd57bd056cb

7 minutes ago, legend said:

You trying to beat best at number of times you restart a game before finishing it? :p 

I had no desire to restart, but this is literally unplayable for me.

wiWiONV.png

If refuse to play my character like this and I want to keep playing. I have no idea if the bug will ever be fixed.

Like, I'm actually pretty fucking upset about it. I love my character.

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

wiWiONV.png

If refuse to play my character like this and I want to keep playing. I have no idea if the bug will ever be fixed.

Like, I actually pretty fucking upset about it.

Larian is one of the most responsive devs to feedback and even just adding huge new features for free. So if this wasn't a bug before, you can be near certain it will be fixed. But, yes, you would have to wait a little while for the next patch or two (depending on how early it was reported). If you weren't very far and just want to play, resetting might be fine. But if you were further along, maybe just wait a few days? Seems like it would be more annoying to start over and not get back to where you were by the time a fix is released and then reload your previous char save.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Larian is one of the most responsive devs to feedback and even just adding huge new features for free. So if this wasn't a bug before, you can be near certain it will be fixed. But, yes, you would have to wait a little while for the next patch or two (depending on how early it was reported). If you weren't very far and just want to play, resetting might be fine. But if you were further along, maybe just wait a few days? Seems like it would be more annoying to start over and not get back to where you were by the time a fix is released and then reload your previous char save.

I'm not far in, just about to start act 2, but I have a lot of hours put into the game. But I really want to play the game. If it gets fixed before I'm caught up, great, I can go back to my old character, but I have no idea how long that will be. This bug started with Patch 1 so it hasn't had a lot of time to make the rounds. I have seen very few people talking about it, and none of them even claimed to report it and I have at least reported it twice. And like, if it takes too long for them to respond, like a month plus and I didn't play the game at all, I would have just restarted anyway.

31 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

What exactly is the bug @Bacon?

Head 2 is bugged. In that image, you can see how dark the face is compared to the body.

8f1e32b4b1984717ae17a037cfee2744.jpg

The strange part about the bug is that it is camera relative. If you zoom out ALL the way, the bug goes away, but any cutscene or even just not-max zoom will have the head be darker.

f7930f89d3608ca436d7a6256f5d8df1.png0f27b638d4ea669f34ae6c4b079f3b25.png

I've seen another guy who used a darker skin tone and the bug resulted in him having a lighter skin tone on the head instead of darker.

e: I assume it's actually a lighting/shadow issue. I've heard that Head 4 has the same issue but I never tested it. Also, I know it is a game-wide issue as I have asked others to see if it was the same in their game or if it was just mine. If you were to make a half-elf character with head 2 and neutral skin tone 1, you would see the issue in the first cutscenes depending on the clothing, like this

UtWCjqJ.png

The bug is not exclusive to that skin tone it's just what I'm using.

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm not far in, just about to start act 2, but I have a lot of hours put into the game. But I really want to play the game. If it gets fixed before I'm caught up, great, I can go back to my old character, but I have no idea how long that will be. This bug started with Patch 1 so it hasn't had a lot of time to make the rounds. I have seen very few people talking about it, and none of them even claimed to report it and I have at least reported it twice. And like, if it takes too long for them to respond, like a month plus and I didn't play the game at all, I would have just restarted anyway.

I don't think it will take a month, but if you're itching to play and don't mind reverting back to your previous character, then sure, go for it I suppose!

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't think it will take a month, but if you're itching to play and don't mind reverting back to your previous character, then sure, go for it I suppose!

I hope it happens soon. The only benefit to my new character is that I can correct at least 2 mistakes. The first is actually declining the Hag eye. I neither denied nor confirmed the eye so my game is bugged with a marker that never goes away seeing as I can no longer interact with the hag. The second is remembering to piss off Halsin so he attacks me after I free him. I did not intend for him to live, but I hate killing people without a dialogue starting the fight. I know there is another way to kill him in the future, but I could have killed him much sooner.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Head 2 is bugged. In that image, you can see how dark the face is compared to the body.

The strange part about the bug is that it is camera relative. If you zoom out ALL the way, the bug goes away, but any cutscene or even just not-max zoom will have the head be darker.

I've seen another guy who used a darker skin tone and the bug resulted in him having a lighter skin tone on the head instead of darker.

LMAO

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Bacon said:

e: I assume it's actually a lighting/shadow issue. I've heard that Head 4 has the same issue but I never tested it. Also, I know it is a game-wide issue as I have asked others to see if it was the same in their game or if it was just mine. If you were to make a half-elf character with head 2 and neutral skin tone 1, you would see the issue in the first cutscenes depending on the clothing, like this

UtWCjqJ.png

The bug is not exclusive to that skin tone it's just what I'm using.

There was a version of Madden I played back in the day where Vinny Testaverde had a black head. Most enjoyment I got out of the Jets that season, digital or IRL. 

baldurs-gate-3-minthara-1693347738413.pn
WWW.IGN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 Patch 2 is almost here, and it will include some major fixes for Minthara, who accidentally had more than 1500 lines of dialogue blocked out by what director Swen Vincke calls a "very, very...

Speaking with IGN ahead of Patch 2's release, Vincke talked about how the scope of Baldur's Gate 3 can cause cascading reactions that can sometimes lock out content by accident. Such is the case with Baldur's Gate 3's drow murderess.

"The game is super reactive and there were a couple of bugs that caused some of the companions to not react as they should. And so that felt like the content was not showing up. So you weren't seeing it specifically with Minthara," Vincke explained. "So [lead writer Adam Smith] told me there's about 1500 lines of Minthara that weren't showing up as a result of a very, very stupid bug that we now isolated. So we're solving it."

Vincke said that the Minthara lines "worked" in previous versions, but that "something else caused them to not work anymore." Such is the challenge of making a complicated, interlocking RPG filled with thousands of tiny interactions.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
baldurs-gate-3-minthara-1693347738413.pn
WWW.IGN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 Patch 2 is almost here, and it will include some major fixes for Minthara, who accidentally had more than 1500 lines of dialogue blocked out by what director Swen Vincke calls a "very, very...

Well, this will make the BG3 subreddit happy. There’s about 10 “justice for Minthara” posts a day :p 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Patch #2 has been released
On 8/29/2023 at 5:23 PM, Bacon said:

wiWiONV.png

Like, I'm actually pretty fucking upset about it. I love my character.

You have just stumbled upon  the phenomenon known as "farmer's tan." In the southern US everyone looks like this (but 200lbs heavier).