When was the last time you were involuntary separated (fired, laid off, made redundant, etc.)?

AbsolutSurgen

When was the last time you were involuntary separated (fired, laid off, made redundant, etc.)?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. When was the last time you were involuntarily separated?

• Today
    • Last Month
    • This Year
    • During the last 3 years
    • During the last 5 years
    • During the last 10 years
    • More than 10 years ago
    • Never

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well tell us what the fuck happened. How ya going to just leave us hanging?

I used to work at a Fortune 500 company in middle management, that recently announced a restructuring.

As part of that restructuring, they were removing "layers" -- my layer was essentially eliminated.  They are separating me "without cause" after 18 years.  Fortunately, I am technically a Canadian employee (which isn't an at-will country), so the package they offered me is significantly better than if I was a U.S. employee.

My defined benefit pension is not worth much anymore -- so much for early retirement.

For the record, this is the second time I have ever been "fired".  In University, I used to service bank machines, and the bank outsourced the work to an armoured car company.

I also worked at a company that went bankrupt/ceased operations just before I went to grad school.

40 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I used to work at a Fortune 500 company in middle management, that recently announced a restructuring.

As part of that restructuring, they were removing "layers" -- my layer was essentially eliminated.  They are separating me "without cause" after 18 years.  Fortunately, I am technically a Canadian employee (which isn't an at-will country), so the package they offered me is significantly better than if I was a U.S. employee.

My defined benefit pension is not worth much anymore -- so much for early retirement.

That sucks. At least you got the severance package. Hope you find something soon that’s even better. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

That sucks. At least you got the severance package. Hope you find something soon that’s even better. 

If I find something "soon", I may be significantly better off financially (at least in the short term).

Just now, 2user1cup said:

Hope you do too and get double paid for a while. Go to their most threatening competitor.

I am thinking of switching industries.  I want to be the "disruptor" rather than being the "disrupted".  It would be nice to work at a company that has stock options that are worth something.  On the day I started (in January 2000), the stock was about $32, today its worth about $10.  (Tangent: Don't get me started on how they are treating the stock options they gave me TWO MONTHS AGO for strong performance.  Hint: they haven't vested yet, I get nada)

==========================================

For the record, the best thing you can have when something like this happens is a supportive spouse.  My wife has been awesome -- I just came home and told her that we have to sell the house (we bought a year ago) in the next two months, and have to move to a city (in a different country) with significantly more expensive real estate and buy a house/get a mortgage with no job.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

If I find something "soon", I may be significantly better off financially (at least in the short term).

I am thinking of switching industries.  I want to be the "disruptor" rather than being the "disrupted".  It would be nice to work at a company that has stock options that are worth something.  On the day I started (in January 2000), the stock was about $32, today its worth about $10.  (Tangent: Don't get me started on how they are treating the stock options they gave me TWO MONTHS AGO for strong performance.  Hint: they haven't vested yet, I get nada)

==========================================

For the record, the best thing you can have when something like this happens is a supportive spouse.  My wife has been awesome -- I just came home and told her that we have to sell the house (we bought a year ago) in the next two months, and have to move to a city (in a different country) with significantly more expensive real estate and buy a house/get a mortgage with no job.

Why do you have to sell the house?

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

(Tangent: Don't get me started on how they are treating the stock options they gave me TWO MONTHS AGO for strong performance.  Hint: they haven't vested yet, I get nada)

Yup, I've lost hundreds of thousands in unvested shares. I don't count them anymore, if they vest it's bonus, until then it's not real.

7 hours ago, johnny said:

I got fired when I was 19 on some BS. Like technically I broke a rule but everybody was breaking the rule and I was the fall guy. I blame management. 

The first job and only job i had in high school was at Funcoland which is like Gamestop. I fractured my knee on my first night in the first hour of work. A few months later work sent a letter telling me to return to work on a certain date. My manager didn't want me to return until i could completely bend my knee to reach lower drawers. They sent me a termination notice for not returning on that date and the manager said he couldn't do anything. Around the same time i started that job my dad was diagnosed with brain a tumor so work wasn't a priority.

My second job was a stocking job at Winn-Dixie grocery store in FL where i moved to after graduating high school. I worked that job for a few months until some friends and i decided to go on a road trip and we never went back to Florida. I called a few days later and quit and told them i wasn't returning to FL and we eventually wound up in Reno, NV.

I have been fired from day labor jobs that i was horrible at.

42 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

The first job and only job i had in high school was at Funcoland which is like Gamestop. I fractured my knee on my first night in the first hour of work. A few months later work sent a letter telling me to return to work on a certain date. My manager didn't want me to return until i could completely bend my knee to reach lower drawers. They sent me a termination notice for not returning on that date and the manager said he couldn't do anything. Around the same time i started that job my dad was diagnosed with brain a tumor so work wasn't a priority.

My second job was a stocking job at Winn-Dixie grocery store in FL where i moved to after graduating high school. I worked that job for a few months until some friends and i decided to go on a road trip and we never went back to Florida. I called a few days later and quit and told them i wasn't returning to FL and we eventually wound up in Reno, NV.

I have been fired from day labor jobs that i was horrible at.

You need to stop moving to shitty places

Never fired, but damn close. Just had a new contractor win the contract I'm working on.....fortunately they kept most of us around.   I had to take a 6K paycut.....but I do get better benefits including a 16K annual stipend for schooling which I should take advantage of.  

Never. But most of my life hasn't been typical jobs so it's not particularly meaningful.

My jobs were/are:

Teenager: Technical support and game QA

College: Research intern

Grad school: TA, RA, Instructor

Postdoc appointment

Adjunct Prof

Senior research scientist at an AI start up

You don't get "fired" or "let go" from most of those. I'm sure I won't get fired or let go from the start up I currently work at, but the start up might go under and that could count indirectly!

4 hours ago, legend said:

Never. But most of my life hasn't been typical jobs so it's not particularly meaningful.

My jobs were/are:

Teenager: Technical support and game QA

College: Research intern

Grad school: TA, RA, Instructor

Postdoc appointment

Adjunct Prof

Senior research scientist at an AI start up

You don't get "fired" or "let go" from most of those. I'm sure I won't get fired or let go from the start up I currently work at, but the start up might go under and that could count indirectly!

Just wanted to know if you’ve ever been fired or laid off. Didn’t need your resume. 

I got laid off from my last staff gig going on four years ago. I've been a freelancer/independent contractor ever since.

22 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Atlanta. Job market here is booming. And we could go out and have a beer. 

I split my time between New York and LA primarily for editorial work but I've been thinking about adding Atlanta to the mix.