Billionaire pledges to pay off College class student debt

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/billionaire-robert-f-smith-pledges-to-pay-off-morehouse-college-class-of-2019s-student-loans.html

A billionaire technology investor stunned the entire graduating class at Morehouse College when he announced at their commencement Sunday that he would pay off their student loans--estimated at up to $40 million.

Robert F. Smith, this year's commencement speaker, made the announcement while addressing nearly 400 graduating seniors of the all-male historically black college in Atlanta. Smith, who is black, is the Founder and CEO of Vista Equity Partners, a private equity firm that invests in software, data, and technology-driven companies.

RXVQLXHI5JDXZDMOHDSV5GDEVA.jpg

Robert F. Smith, left, laughs with David Thomas, center, and actress Angela Bassett at Morehouse College on Sunday, May 19, 2019, in Atlanta.

This is very awesome of him to do.

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Would the tax bill be bigger than $90,000 student loan debt?

No, but unlike if they'd had to keep paying off their loans, they're going to get hit with the tax bill on that $90k all at once. Good chance fresh college grads don't have $30k lying around.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, but unlike if they'd had to keep paying off their loans, they're going to get hit with the tax bill on that $90k all at once. Good chance fresh college grads don't have $30k lying around.

Maybe they could all go on Oprah, win cars from her, and immediately sell those prize cars to cover the taxes on the cars AND their tuition payoff? 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Unless I'm mistaken, gift taxes are paid by the giver, not the recipient. He would be footing the tax bill himself.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Unless I'm mistaken, gift taxes are paid by the giver, not the recipient. He would be footing the tax bill himself.

Then why did the Oprah car recipients have to pay the taxes on the car themselves?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Then why did the Oprah car recipients have to pay the taxes on the car themselves?

This is specific to things like student loan debt. It is also treated differently depending on the source, such as when your employer pays off part or all of you student loan that act is treat as compensation and you are on the hook for the taxes on that portion of your compensation.

The Oprah situation is treated like game show winnings, which the winner does have to pay taxes on.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

When I got stuck with tax debt (due to my former employer fucking up how my relocation expenses were filed) the interest rate was literally like 1%. As long as you work with the IRS it's really not that bad for a payment plan. 

Fortunately someone else whose spouse was an accountant (iirc) found this error and I had to file a corrected return and I got my money back.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

This is specific to things like student loan debt. It is also treated differently depending on the source, such as when your employer pays off part or all of you student loan that act is treat as compensation and you are on the hook for the taxes on that portion of your compensation.

The Oprah situation is treated like game show winnings, which the winner does have to pay taxes on.

When the government forgives student loan debt (for public service for example) the forgiven amount is treated like income. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@Jason haha bitch they're gonna be fully paid off and take care of their families now while pursuing a career you can't complain now suck my dick kiss my ass hoohah

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

@Jason haha bitch they're gonna be fully paid off and take care of their families now while pursuing a career you can't complain now suck my dick kiss my ass hoohah

You really are a Floridaman. :daydream:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

When the government forgives student loan debt (for public service for example) the forgiven amount is treated like income. 

This is correct.