Microsoft inexplicably announces Xbox One S All-Digital Edition for $250 (seriously?!?)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Cool. I finally got a 4k tv and was thinking about upgrading to the Xbox One X for 4k support but it's a bit much. I got the PS4 pro instead since Gamestop gave me 200$ for my old one but if this was as good as the X, I'd prob spring for it at that price.

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Cool. I finally got a 4k tv and was thinking about upgrading to the Xbox One X for 4k support but it's a bit much. I got the PS4 pro instead since Gamestop gave me 200$ for my old one but if this was as good as the X, I'd prob spring for it at that price.

Now is your chance for an X.

This all digital one is based on the S which isn’t really noticeably better than the launch Xbone, it’s nowhere near X performance.

22 hours ago, ByWatterson said:

Inside Gaming opened it up.

They literally just ripped out the disc drive, and that's it. 

Related image

That's... pretty much what MS said they did in the reveal video.

I have a theory though.. MS is playing the long game. The next gen looks like this:

Anaconda is the new premium console.

Xbox One X is the new "base" console.

Xbox One S is phased out completely.

Xbox One S All Digital Edition gets a price drop... becomes the flagship "streaming box."

In other words, instead of MS announcing a streaming box alongside Anaconda, instead it will be a hardware SKU that already exists on store shelves. (keep in mind this will likely be a year+ from now, so price drops will have happened. XBOSADE could very well be the $150 unit people were predicting.)

On 4/20/2019 at 10:25 AM, mikechorney said:

Their “streaming” box can’t be more than $100, and probably should be $50-$75. It really is a streaming stick (chrome cast or fire stick like) and a controller. 

It needs to be that cheap to draw people in. 

Ideally it it would be free with a subscription commitment. 

But it's not. I'm fairly certain MS has already stated (or maybe it was Phil Spencer in an interview) that the machine was going to have some degree of processing power and storage, and that some stuff would be done client-side in order to reduce latency. (though if it's being done on a phone, it can't be much). I'll see if I can find that quote somewhere.

EDIT: This article was written last month, but it backs up that quote I remember reading somewhere a long time ago.

Several reports now indicate that Microsoft plans to approach game streaming with a new hybridized solution, delivering a blend of both local and cloud-based processing. The system would see latency-sensitive aspects of a game handled locally, such as inputs and collision, while other parts, such as graphics-intensive outputs, would be backed by the cloud.

Like I said before, IF the XBO S is discontinued and replaced by the All Digital Edition, I could totally see a price drop to $99-$149, especially if MS is banking on the on-going revenue from the streaming service / Game pass ultimate subs.

43 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

But it's not. I'm fairly certain MS has already stated (or maybe it was Phil Spencer in an interview) that the machine was going to have some degree of processing power and storage, and that some stuff would be done client-side in order to reduce latency. (though if it's being done on a phone, it can't be much). I'll see if I can find that quote somewhere.

EDIT: This article was written last month, but it backs up that quote I remember reading somewhere a long time ago.

Several reports now indicate that Microsoft plans to approach game streaming with a new hybridized solution, delivering a blend of both local and cloud-based processing. The system would see latency-sensitive aspects of a game handled locally, such as inputs and collision, while other parts, such as graphics-intensive outputs, would be backed by the cloud.

Like I said before, IF the XBO S is discontinued and replaced by the All Digital Edition, I could totally see a price drop to $99-$149, especially if MS is banking on the on-going revenue from the streaming service / Game pass ultimate subs.

The key to a successful streaming service will be a low barrier to entry. It will be hard to get the cost of an XB1 down to $100 if it has a hard drive. I can’t see Stadia costing more than $50 for the controller- and it will probably be free with a subscription service commitment. 

Combining the cloud with local processing better have a big impact if they want to charge that much. 

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

The key to a successful streaming service will be a low barrier to entry. It will be hard to get the cost of an XB1 down to $100 if it has a hard drive. I can’t see Stadia costing more than $50 for the controller- and it will probably be free with a subscription service commitment. 

Combining the cloud with local processing better have a big impact if they want to charge that much. 

I get what you're saying, but what I'm getting at is that I don't think MS is gonna bank on those people that will only stream. I imagine it's going to be a supplemental service. I mean, if you're going to spend $100 on a streaming box, why not pay an extra $50 and get an Xbox One S that will stream, but also give you the ability to download and play games offline? They already have Game Pass, why dissuade potential customers from utilizing that in exchange for the xCloud service, when they could sell you both?

If their service is legit, and I can buy a game digitally, download it to my Xbox and play it locally, then stream it to my phone when I'm away from home using the xCloud service, using a persistent save file, that would be a pretty big advantage to have over Sony.

I'm just speculating, of course, but you never know. MS hasn't even clarified yet whether this streaming service will be subscription-based libraries, like Game Pass and PS Now, or if it will be based on our own purchases.

E3 is gonna be interesting, indeed.