LDS Church dumps its controversial LGBTQ policy, cites continuing ‘revelation’ from God

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/04/04/lds-church-dumps-its/

“Effective immediately, children of parents who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender may be baptized without [governing] First Presidency approval,” the faith said on its newsroom website, "if the custodial parents give permission for the baptism and understand both the doctrine that a baptized child will be taught and the covenants he or she will be expected to make.”

26 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Gay Mormons are still Mormons

To them I would ask the same question I have of homosexual/other non-heterosexual Catholics or those of other denominations with a significant anti-homosexual bias: why are you still Mormon/Catholic/whatever when there are many Christian denominations that are open and welcoming of them?

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

To them I would ask the same question I have of homosexual/other non-heterosexual Catholics or those of other denominations with a significant anti-homosexual bias: why are you still Mormon/Catholic/whatever when there are many Christian denominations that are open and welcoming of them?

Heritage.

Though it's still sad reading all the posts from self-loathing mormon homosexuals on /r/latterdaysaints.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, SaysWho? said:

3.5 years ago it was a revelation from God to declare homosexuals apostates and forbid their children from receiving the ordinances of the church. Yesterday it was another revelation that they are no longer apostates, just merely "living in sin", and that their children are totes cool now. The revelation came from God via SurveyMonkey showing data that many, many people were abandoning the faith over its archaic views on homosexuality. I'm sure that they'll all come back now that the mormon church's views have been updated from archaic to ancient.

Just now, Nokra said:

Lots of Mormons in your family? If so, I'd be curious to know what the people in your family think of it. :) 

Immediate and extended family are all LDS besides a handful of people.

I have a couple hunches on how my family will react, but it might not even get brought up.

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

Immediate and extended family are all LDS besides a handful of people.

I have a couple hunches on how my family will react, but it might not even get brought up.

It was my grandmother's birthday yesterday. We had a family gathering. And even my grandmother, an 86 year old woman who is a die-hard mormon, brought it up and said "that policy never felt right and it made me sad when I learned it." If your oldest and most loyal felt icky about it...

Old white dudes suck.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:36 PM, Nokra said:

Lots of Mormons in your family? If so, I'd be curious to know what the people in your family think of it. :) 

It wasn't brought up, at least not while I was home. 

I suspect my mother doesn't understand why this change was made. Shes a very traditional person and has a very hard time adjusting her point of view. 

My father probably doesn't care all that much, I was mostly curious as to what my brother and brother-in-law thought, perhaps I'll ask them some other time. 

19 minutes ago, Nokt said:

It wasn't brought up, at least not while I was home. 

I suspect my mother doesn't understand why this change was made. Shes a very traditional person and has a very hard time adjusting her point of view. 

My father probably doesn't care all that much, I was mostly curious as to what my brother and brother-in-law thought, perhaps I'll ask them some other time. 

Yeah, but what do your dad's other wives think about it?

• Haha 1