The country of Brunei begins stoning punishment today for LGBT people

15 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

I like to think that I am at least respectably well read and worldly, especially given the time I've been part of this mortal coil.

...and man, was I embarrassed to be off with respect to where I thought Brunei is located.

The name rang a bell be ause of HOI4. I usually play as either France, UK, or the USSR. I remember the name from the build menu and having to build infrastructure and improve the naval bases for supply. Have to defend it and the rest of British Malaysia from the Japanese. More so Brunei since the Dutch East Indes will more then likely fall to Japan.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

The name rang a bell be ause of HOI4. I usually play as either France, UK, or the USSR. I remember the name from the build menu and having to build infrastructure and improve the naval bases for supply. Have to defend it and the rest of British Malaysia from the Japanese. More so Brunei since the Dutch East Indes will more then likely fall to Japan.

Oh boy, look how damaging games are to people...:facepalm:

Outstanding, Zaku.  Thumbs up.

I'm done allowing people to pretend that "criticism of [Islam]" is some sort of value-neutral search for the truth. New atheists have moved from pointing out contradictions in Christian scripture and insisting that a literal reading of the Bible is inconsistent with their professed values to reading Muslim scripture and telling people with pluralistic values that their beliefs are incompatible with a literal reading of the text. Suggestion being that these are at all comparable even though they can both be described as critiquing the religion. It's nonsense and I won't indulge it any longer.

The new atheist who honestly points out contradictions in Muslim scripture to discourage religious fundamentalism is more of a fantasy than YHWH. It's all about how we should view Muslims as less than human and it makes me sick. It's just a bunch of dumbass motherfuckers chasing the sugar high they felt talking down to fundamentalist Christians, assholes that utterly lack the intellectual heft needed for honest critique.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I'm done allowing people to pretend that "criticism of [Islam]" is some sort of value-neutral search for the truth. New atheists have moved from pointing out contradictions in Christian scripture and insisting that a literal reading of the Bible is inconsistent with their professed values to reading Muslim scripture and telling people with pluralistic values that their beliefs are incompatible with a literal reading of the text. Suggestion being that these are at all comparable even though they can both be described as critiquing the religion. It's nonsense and I won't indulge it any longer.

The new atheist who honestly points out contradictions in Muslim scripture to discourage religious fundamentalism is more of a fantasy than YHWH. It's all about how we should view Muslims as less than human and it makes me sick. It's just a bunch of dumbass motherfuckers chasing the sugar high they felt talking down to fundamentalist Christians, assholes that utterly lack the intellectual heft needed for honest critique.

Lmao!  So much for “circa 2016”.  

You go get em!!  

One more edit: Please don't indulge any longer. 

13 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I've read this paragraph five times and it still makes zero sense to me. 

The "new atheists" point out that ANY pluralistic reading of both the Bible and Quran is inconsistent with the texts.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

4 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

The left is hitching their wagon to Islam? What?

What?

15 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The "new atheists" point out that ANY pluralistic reading of both the Bible and Quran is inconsistent with the texts.

The difference is in how the inconsistencies are wielded. On on the one hand, for Christians it's used to undermine the notion of faith by pointing out the illogic, for Muslims it's used to insist they're barbarians-in-waiting. To Christians they profess pluralism is possible without the Bible, to Muslims they profess pluralism is impossible with the Koran. Christians range from misguided to malicious and Muslims range from violent to not-violent-yet. And all the while it's not even religious fanatics that are shooting, stabbing and blowing us up. Not to the same level as white terrorists. So yeah, you can miss me with the "just critiquing the religion" bullshit that I would have expected you to be too smart to fall for.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The difference is in how the inconsistencies are wielded. On on the one hand, for Christians it's used to undermine the notion of faith by pointing out the illogic, for Muslims it's used to insist they're barbarians-in-waiting. To Christians they profess pluralism is possible without the Bible, to Muslims they profess pluralism is impossible with the Koran. Christians range from misguided to malicious and Muslims range from violent to not-violent-yet. And all the while it's not even religious fanatics that are shooting, stabbing and blowing us up. Not to the same level as white terrorists. So yeah, you can miss me with the "just critiquing the religion" bullshit that I would have expected you to be too smart to fall for.

Is this a serious post?  

On 4/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Anathema- said:

You're aware that many of the white extremists attacking people tend to identify as and/or have connections to white jesus christians/cultural christians, right?

14 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

You're aware that many of the white extremists attacking people tend to identify as and/or have connections to white jesus christians/cultural christians, right?

Of course I am, and seeing how fellow white Christians aren't taken to task (even by atheists) in the same way Muslims are for Islamic terror necessitates an other-than-neutral explanation.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Of course I am, and seeing how fellow white Christians aren't taken to task (even by atheists) in the same way Muslims are for Islamic terror necessitates an other-than-neutral explanation.

I don't know of any (not that there aren't any) atheists who give Christianity a free pass.  In fact, I see them criticize Christianity (ok) and even Christians (not ok), far more than they do Muslims (not ok) and Islam (ok).  I also find that it seems hard for some people to understand the difference in criticizing an ideology and a group of people.  AND I WON'T STAND FOR IT ANY LONGER  

1 hour ago, Boyle5150 said:

I don't know of any (not that there aren't any) atheists who give Christianity a free pass.  In fact, I see them criticize Christianity (ok) and even Christians (not ok), far more than they do Muslims (not ok) and Islam (ok).  I also find that it seems hard for some people to understand the difference in criticizing an ideology and a group of people.  AND I WON'T STAND FOR IT ANY LONGER  

I bet you were already sitting when you wrote that though.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

totally not a bigot

I thought it was pretty much public knowledge at this point that he clearly hates and has hated Muslims? 

Also, the white men "protecting their white women" trope is hilarious to me. We're not raping anyone, your white women want something different sometimes, sorry. Guess what, our minority women sometimes want something different to (other minority men/white men). I've hooked up with enough white women in my life that whatever campaign they are trying to do isn't working. Thanks white men for letting me sleep with your white women! Like, Jesus Christ. :p 

49 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

His fanboys are in denial 

I don't understand why we have to accept a person wholesale or not. Sam Harris is very right about some things and he's very wrong about other things. Forced fanboyism of anything is stupid. The evidence is obvious he hates Muslims, and has been there for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Wow. Not really related, but I have always hated Harris’ voice and speech pattern.

Thought I was in the 2020 thread and was gonna say, "I think Kamala Harris is a good speaker?"

When Hitchens died, I remember some of his fans (dunno how widespread, it could have just been one singular comments section I was reading) thought Harris might be able to carry the torch. I don't know really know if he did or not because I know Hitchens was pro-Iraq War and thought any religion "rots the mind," but I honestly didn't follow him closely enough to know if he was batshit crazy as Harris is.

Nor do I know if Harris has made an amazing analogy involving parties while comparing that to people's fear of dying.