PSN updates refund policy

Pikachu

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/04/01/sony-playstation-store-refund-policy/

PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, and Spotify Premium

You can cancel your purchase of a subscription to PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now or Spotify Premium service and request a refund to your PSN wallet within 14 days from the initial transaction date, even after you start using the subscription. The refund may be reduced pro-rata to reflect the use you have had of the service. This may show as two transactions in your account transaction history: a refund to your wallet of the full amount originally paid and then a debit of a charge for the period of the service you received.

This may be the work of Jim Ryan. He did start yesterday in an exec shakeup.

Here's a rundown of everything:

Games, game add-ons, season passes, in-game consumables and PlayStation™Video titles

You can cancel a digital content purchase within 14 days from the date of purchase and receive a refund to your PSN wallet, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming it.

Digital content that you have started downloading or streaming, and in-game consumables that have been delivered, are not eligible for a refund unless the content is faulty.

You can cancel your purchase of a season pass within 14 days from the date of purchase and receive a refund to your PSN wallet, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming any digital content (e.g. game add-ons) included in the season pass.

If you purchase in-game consumables on the PlayStation™Store, they will be delivered when you next launch the game, until then you will have up to 14 days from the date of transaction to cancel. If you purchase in-game consumables during gameplay, they will be delivered immediately so you will not be able to cancel the purchase. In-game consumables are items such as virtual currencies (e.g. FIFA packs or GTA Cash Packs), boosts and other items that are depleted during gameplay.

Pre-Orders
You may cancel a pre-order of digital content at any time before the release date and receive a refund to your PSN wallet. If the release date has passed, you can still change your mind and request a refund to your wallet up to 14 days after payment was taken for the pre-order, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming the content to your device.

If you have started to download the main part of the order, you will not be able to request a refund. Please be aware that downloads will happen automatically if Automatic Downloads are enabled in your system settings. To turn off Automatic Downloads, head to [Settings] > [System] > [Automatic Downloads] and untick the checkbox next to “Application Update Files”.

If you have not started to download the main product and your order included immediately-accessible extra content, this extra content will stop working if you cancel your pre-order and you will receive a refund to your PSN wallet. If no additional content was included, you will receive a refund to the original payment method where possible*.

*We are unable to do this for certain payment methods. In those cases, the refund will be sent to your PSN wallet.

You may have additional refund rights under applicable local law for pre-order purchases if the release date changes; nothing in the summary above or below limits any such rights under local law.

Subscription Services

PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, and Spotify Premium
You can cancel your purchase of a subscription to PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now or Spotify Premium service and request a refund to your PSN wallet within 14 days from the initial transaction date, even after you start using the subscription. The refund may be reduced pro-rata to reflect the use you have had of the service. This may show as two transactions in your account transaction history: a refund to your wallet of the full amount originally paid and then a debit of a charge for the period of the service you received.

If you take advantage of a free trial when you sign up to a service, the 14-day cancellation period will commence on the day we accept your order of the free trial and the duration of the free trial will be included in the 14-day period. For example, if you sign up for a free trial which lasts 7 days and your wallet is debited for the subscription at the end of the trial, you will have 7 days after your wallet was debited to cancel.

Note: When you purchase PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now or Spotify Premium subscription service, you agree to a rolling subscription with periodic billing (e.g., annual billing). You can stop making payments at any time by turning off [Auto-renewal] (click here for more information) but, beyond the initial 14-day cancellation period, you will not receive a refund for payments already made. When you turn off [Auto-renewal], your subscription will continue until the next payment is due, at which point it will end.

Change of Online ID
You cannot cancel or obtain a refund for your purchase of a change of online ID.

16 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Still crap compared to most refund policies right? 

No? This is a pretty similar policy to others like MS (requesting a refund), and refunding streaming services you've used and getting a prorated refund is similar to using Amazon Prime a little and then refunding it. I don't know how Switch/XBO operate post-release refunds, but this allows you to cancel a preorder if you haven't played the game within two weeks after release, which seems like a consumer-friendly policy.

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

No? This is a pretty similar policy to others like MS (requesting a refund), and refunding streaming services you've used and getting a prorated refund is similar to using Amazon Prime a little and then refunding it. I don't know how Switch/XBO operate post-release refunds, but this allows you to cancel a preorder if you haven't played the game within two weeks after release, which seems like a consumer-friendly policy.

Not if you haven't played it, if you haven't started to download it right?  Pretty significant distinction I'd think.

Xbox allows you to refund the item if its within 2 weeks of purchase, and you've played less than 2 hours of the game.  Or at least that's what it was, unless they've changed it.  Steam also allows you a certain amount of game time while still being able to request a refund I believe.

I don't use many other services, just knew of those 2.  I remember a few years ago when MS announced this people brought up it was nice they were catching up to steam, and I'm pretty sure that was 2/3 years ago now.  So hearing Sony allows you to cancel a preorder just now, was pretty shocking.

Bought a game a few days ago....

Check your refund eligibility
You can get an automated refund for digital games if:

You bought the game in the past 14 days.
 You (and any anyone else who played the game) played it for a total of no more than 2 hours.
 Your home console, PC, or any other device you installed it on is turned on and connected to the internet.
 The game isn't running on any of your devices.
In-app purchases, season passes, and bundled game editions aren’t eligible for an automated refund. If you bought any of these in the past 14 days, you can contact support with a refund request.

So yeah, MS has had an automated Refund that will let you refund within 14 days and 2 hours for like 2/3 years now.

I did just get $99.99 refunded to my account for Division 2 Gold Edition cause I wanted to upgrade to the Ultimate Edition.  

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Not if you haven't played it, if you haven't started to download it right?  Pretty significant distinction I'd think.

Xbox allows you to refund the item if its within 2 weeks of purchase, and you've played less than 2 hours of the game.  Or at least that's what it was, unless they've changed it.  Steam also allows you a certain amount of game time while still being able to request a refund I believe.

I don't use many other services, just knew of those 2.  I remember a few years ago when MS announced this people brought up it was nice they were catching up to steam, and I'm pretty sure that was 2/3 years ago now.  So hearing Sony allows you to cancel a preorder just now, was pretty shocking.

I don't really find it that significant just because a game doesn't necessarily click in two hours (not that I would mind that as an option). I also believe Xbox Live is strictly games, not downloadable content and season passes as is the new policy on PSN.

Everybody was catching up to Steam. PSN's been in the stone age in terms of digital pre-orders.