Streets of Rage 4 - Information Thread, update - "Mr. X Nightmare" DLC announced

Commissar SFLUFAN

I have some really fond memories of playing Streets of Rage with friends (specifically on the multi-cartridge that also had Shinobi and Goldenaxe) but I don't know if I can go for this much a sequel. Although, if they add some clever updates, I could be interested. 

• 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Streets of Rage 4

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Apr 30, 2020)
  • PC (Apr 30, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Apr 30, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Apr 30, 2020)

Developers: Dotemu, Guard Crush Games, Lizardcube

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 85 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

MonsterVine - 5 / 5 stars

Streets of Rage 4 is a near-perfect return for one of the most beloved beat-em-ups of all-time.

WellPlayed - 10 / 10

From start to finish, Streets of Rage 4 is a modern celebration of one of the best beat 'em up series of all time

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is wonderful. Everything from the combat to the soundtrack is crafted with a great respect for the originals, providing a fresh take on the popular series.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is an absolute masterclass in maintaining the essence of a classic but also in reimagining certain aspects of its design DNA for a contemporary audience.  Streets of Rage 4 is without doubt the best side scrolling brawler you can get on any system.

TechRaptor - 9.5 / 10

Setting a new standard for what a beat 'em up can be in 2020, Streets of Rage 4 captures the past and brings it up to speed with beautiful graphics and immaculate combat.

ZTGD - 9.5 / 10

I think DotEmu and Lizardcube knocked it out of the park yet again. Clearly there was importance on being truthful to the series while adding in new elements to make the game feel fresh and exciting. I can’t believe just over 26 years Streets of Rage has returned as good as it has. With the unlockables I just want to keep getting better at the game; everything is done in such a way that I never felt like I wanted to stop playing. Satisfying doesn’t seem strong enough of a word. I am thoroughly impressed by everything this game has to offer and I hope we see more SEGA classics tackles by DotEmu and Lizardcube.

Just Push Start - 4.6 / 5

Not only does Streets of Rage 4 live up to the franchise's legacy, but it also manages to be different enough to stand out in this genre. This is one game where you won't get far simply mashing punch and you need to make bold plays and smart combos if you want to succeed. Thankfully, the reward is high and there is a fair number of ways to try to be the best warrior you can be, even if most of the experience will be score runs. So, if you're looking for a good modern beat 'em up game, there really isn't many things better than Streets of Rage 4.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is an absolute triumph. It looks stunning, it sounds sublime, and it plays like a dream. SoR 4 delivers fistfuls of knock-down, drag-out action for fans old and new, all at a modest price. It's been a long wait for the Streets of Rage faithful, but comebacks rarely get much better than this. GRAND UPPAH!

GameSpew - 9 / 10

A sequel, but also a celebration of the series so far, Streets of Rage 4 doesn’t disappoint. That’s amazing considering the many years of anticipation and excitement leading up to it. Fans couldn’t have asked for more in a new entry in the beloved series. And even better, Streets of Rage 4 proves that there’s still life in it. It’s a tour de force of sumptuous art, mesmerising music, and trance-inducing action. Take nostalgia out of the equation, and Streets of Rage 4 is the best entry in the series yet.

Gamer Escape - 9 / 10

Simply put, this is the return that fans have been waiting for.

Gamers Heroes - 90 / 100

Following up a series as renowned as Streets of Rage with a new entry is no small feat, but Streets of Rage 4 hits hard with its signature frantic action and stylish audiovisual presentation.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Streets of Rage 4 proves to be a heavy hitter, paying homage to the beloved series while not being held back by what came before. The new art style shines, the soundtrack is as good as ever and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a game I'll be revisiting for a long time to come. Day one purchase worthy game.

Handsome Phantom - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is one of the best entries in a classic series in quite some time. With beautifully updated graphics and a soundtrack that you will be humming along with for quite some time, you’ll be reminded of how you felt if you played these types of games when they were first made popular.

Nintendo Life - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is the very best the series has ever been. Its hand-drawn graphics breathe new life into Wood Oak City and its inhabitants, the soundtrack is outstanding and the combat feels better than ever. Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games and Dotemu have managed to completely modernise the look and feel of Streets of Rage, expanding on the experience without losing sight of what made the original games so popular to begin with – and the handful of additions made to the action here serve only to enhance the classic core gameplay, resulting in one of the best side-scrolling beat 'em ups we've played in a long time.

NintendoWorldReport - 9 / 10

Both game's were led by development teams who had the challenge of continuing classic and beloved series. I'm happy to say that the dev teams creating Streets of Rage 4 have completely succeeded in making a new 2D entry in the series much like the Sonic Mania dev teams did. The utmost respect for the source material is clear throughout Streets of Rage 4 and I'm thrilled that we have this great new brawler in 2020.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

You wouldn't think that after so many years of rumors and waiting that Streets of Rage 4 would not only actually come out, but far exceed anything in the genre, but here we are. This is an absolute must-play for both fans and newcomers alike.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

It was a long wait to get here where Streets of Rage 4 was finally in our hands. Dotemu, Lizardcube, and Guard Crush Games played it so close to the chest through years of development, even as they continued to wow players left and right with the glimpses they were showing. Was it worth the wait after all this time? 1000 times over, yes. Streets of Rage 4 is a fantastic amalgam of visuals, sound, and function in a genre that doesn’t get near as much love as it used to see. Even though I thought I knew exactly what I was walking into, it still found ways to surprise and delight me constantly. Its challenge is unending and the ceiling for the best players will likely be raised for a good long time. If it’s the last beat’em-up game I play or watch others play for another five years, I can absolutely deal with that because I’ll still likely be having fun with it even then.

The Digital Fix - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage is an excellent and well made game. Whether your a fan of the series or a newcomer, it is fun and addictive experience. The developers did a great job of making it feel like the old games but also make it have a fresh and updated feel to it. Right i'm off to beat some more people upside the head with a pipe.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is a must for any beat 'em up fans, especially those with fond memories of the original trilogy. The fighting is great, the visuals are great, and the soundtrack is great.  Lizardcube and Guard Crush have managed to capture the essence of those classic games and upgrade it for the modern age.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is exactly how the franchise should have been handled in the 21st century. It features brand new visual upgrades, gameplay improvements, online multiplayer, and a killer modern soundtrack, but it still retains the charm and soul of the Mega Drive classics.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 doesn't reinvent the wheel, but honestly, that's okay. The game's dazzling visuals, silky-smooth action, varied level design, and sexy sense of cool more than make up for a few minor old-school irritations. Veteran Bare Knuckle brawlers will get the most out of Streets of Rage 4, but it should provide a satisfying thumb workout for players from all eras.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is the perfect love letter to Sega's fan favorite beat-'em-up franchise. It captures the spirit and soul of the games while adding great new mechanics and tons of style. At its heart, it's a short, sweet, and well-made game about punching criminals until you can punch the biggest criminals of all. The price tag might be a bit steep if you're not someone who loves beating things up with friends, but for Streets of Rage fans, it is everything it should be.

COGconnected - 88 / 100

In an era of remakes and remasters, bringing a new entry to a long dormant series is a bold and difficult thing to do. Streets of Rage 4 adds modern stylings to its classic aesthetic and gameplay to create a modern mash-up that is hard to put down. The story mode is a perfect length with a smooth difficulty curve. Controls are easy to learn and natural to master, with the inclusion of plenty of multiplayer options and a large variety of characters to make for some fantastic friendly brawling. While I would have preferred the inclusion of a dedicated grapple button or a dash ability, the experience we get perfectly encapsulates the arcade experience without compromising the integrity of the game or your own skills.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

If you didn't try the previous games, you will like this one. If you did try them, you'll absolutely love SOR 4.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.7 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is a comeback in style for a legendary saga. It offers a smooth combat system and hours of fun for those who still appreciate good old brawlers.

Easy Allies - 8.5 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 kicks the series out of hibernation with a passion for reinvigorating its legacy.

GameWatcher - 8.5 / 10

All-in-all, this is the most fun I've had with multiplayer these past few months, and I'd recommend this game to both newcomers and Streets of Rage fanatics alike. Not only is this a heartfelt throwback to the golden years of couch co-op, but it's also an extremely well-balanced and impeccably crafted romp through a city in need of saving.

Heavy - 8.5 / 10

Dotemu, Lizardcube, and Guard Crush Games have done a fine job with their handling of the latest installment in the Streets of Rage series. The new 2D animation looks incredible, the beat ’em up mechanics feel immensely satisfying, and there’s so much to do beyond your initial playthrough. From an audio standpoint, the original soundtrack has its moments here and there. But those brand new songs simply don’t measure up the far more superior tracks included from the first two series entries. The lack of a 4-player online co-op option is certainly disappointing. Yet Streets of Rage 4’s awesome presentation, fun combat, and clever Easter Eggs for series fanatics still make it worth a recommendation.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 becomes, in its own right, one more numbered SoR. Lovers of the genre will have a great time with a title that offers everything that made the beat 'em up of the 90s great. And also, it is seasoned with light but very functional novelties. It is fun, and even epic if we play together. And although it is a bit short, it offers a lot of replayability. Essential for fans of the saga and perfect to get started in the genre thanks to its multiple configuration possibilities.

Noisy Pixel - 8.5 / 10

It’s clear that a lot of love went into making Streets of Rage 4. The developers have taken this classic series and added just enough to make it there own while also building off of what makes this series so great. The length of the adventure may be an issue for some, but there are more than enough reasons to return to the streets for another round.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Fans of the Beat 'em Up genre will be pleased with what Streets of Rage 4 have to offer, the fights are challenging, the music is great and the art style is fantastic.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Streets of Rage 4 is a surprisingly decent return to form for a franchise that's been collecting dust for over 25 years.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Twenty five years after the last episode, Streets of Rage sure is back. Filled with love for the series, Streets of Rage 4 is a dense and rich experience, thanks to more complex mecanics, lots of beautiful levels, and so many game modes to play it again and again. Too bad the promised soundtrack does not reach the same hights, and that we will have to wait for a correct online experience.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 impressively combines classic arcade beat-'em-ups with modern day adjustments to create a fantastic sense of progression and reward in a retro setting.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Streets of Rage 4 doesn't do much to advance the formula of classic beat 'em ups and that's what makes it great. The game can be completed in roughly three hours, which is just enough for this type of game. Unlocking all the Easter eggs is a nice way to add to the nostalgia fix. Playing through with each character offers a slightly different game experience, but the real joy comes from playing these types of games with friends. Streets of Rage 4 is a must play for fans of retro beat 'em ups.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8 / 10

A dive into the past, of course, but which does not bask in simple nostalgia, trying to offer the best of side-scrolling beat'em up genre, not just the Streets of Rage saga. A quarter century later, walking around a city full of thugs has probably never been this fun.

Niche Gamer - 8 / 10

They don’t make them like they used to, except Streets of Rage 4. Those hoping to play it to completion only once need not apply, as the real meat is achieving higher scores, higher difficulties, and higher mastery. Throw in co-op and versus modes for online and local, and a fair entry price, you have a party.

If you’re looking for something that elevates the genre, you may be left wanting. Though going back to basics, and doing it very well, is sure to be a delight. It’s a classic American hamburger. Streets of Rage 4 looks great, will kick your ass, and you get more out of it the more you put in.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

Streets of Rage 4 is the surprise of the year. The grinding towards unlocking additional and retro character is a lowlight, the rest of the game is a highlight. The story is in-tune with prior games in the series, the artwork doesn't deviate from what you'd imagine this series looking like in 2020, and it's responsive and laser focused. Streets of Rage 4 keeps the history of the series in the rear view, yet moving forward by adding exciting and quality improvements to the series.

Slant Magazine - 4 / 5 stars

It's the best kind of retro throwback, reminding us how hard these kinds of games could hit.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5 stars

It took 23 years, but I'm happy to say that Streets of Rage is back and then some. The gameplay is reminiscent of games of the past while bringing in new mechanics that push the game further. Thanks to the insight from the developers, there's still plenty to do after the game has been beaten, which ensures players will be picking up the controls for a long time. I couldn't have asked for a better follow-up to the classic series. All that's needed now is for the online components to be fixed and this is will be perfect in my opinion.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Hopefully, the developers get another chance to expand on this foundation even further because they certainly earned it. Streets of Rage 4 a great game worthy of being the 4th main entry.

Priced at $24.99 or less, fans of the original have no excuse for not picking it up and reliving some cherished memories with a friend. And even nostalgia aside, it’s one of the most fun beat-em-ups I’ve played in years with a lot going for it

USgamer - 4 / 5 stars

Streets of Rage 4 is a small, concentrated hit of beat 'em up excellence. While its length and lack of extra modes might make this offering seem slim, it makes up for it with brilliant fighting, effusive style, and another solid set of tunes. If beat 'em up games are seeing a revival, Streets of Rage 4 is leading the charge.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

When the credits rolled, I felt better, gunning for action, as if life were a thing to rage through with a smile on your face. How often does that happen?

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Streets of Rage 4 delivers a powerful celebration of brawling nostalgia with a host of great modes and distinct characters.

PC Gamer - 76 / 100

Streets of Rage doesn't do much to innovate, but it's a beautiful brawler with just enough depth to stay engaging through multiple runs.

DualShockers - 7 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is a great continuation of the classic series, though it doesn't do anything revolutionary.

Game Informer - 7 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 is a fun stroll down memory lane, but it doesn't have enough depth to completely pull players in

IGN - 7 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 delivers a fun, traditional experience but prioritises nostalgia over any kind of modern reinvention.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Streets of Rage 4 makes a valiant attempt to drag the old-school franchise into the modern age. We've ended up with a beautiful beat-'em-up that's perhaps a little too loyal to the original games, but is ultimately a blast to play, especially with others. The appeal might wear off after a little while due to repetitive gameplay, but it's a huge amount of fun while it lasts.

Ars Technica - Ars Technica Approved

I'll leave it at this: I'm in love with my biggest gaming surprise so far in 2020. SoR4 is easy to share with friends and easy to get hooked on. Its levels are choreographed with tons of enemy types from across the series so that you don't land in the usual "ugh, same enemies again" fatigue that even the Genesis originals suffer from. And, heck, Lizardcube and Guard Crush were kind enough to bring back the cheesy two-player "battle" mode—and it's actually kind of legit, since it neatly implements the special attacks' new risk-and-reward proposition. If you're on board with the scant length and the game's urging that you replay it a few times for maximum value, I heartily encourage you to spend 10 satisfying hours with this beat-'em-up rebirth.

Eurogamer - Essential

Glorious artwork and a fan's eye for detail combine for a sequel that manages to best its forebears.

Expansive - Loved

Streets of Rage 4 is a monumental effort. It’s easy to fall into, compelling enough to keep you interested, and is a more than worthy sequel to one of the most beloved franchises ever made.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Make no mistake, as a returning biff ’em up Streets Of Rage 4 has some real Talking Heads energy. Ie. same as it ever was. For me, that makes it a one-and-done, rinse-and-never-repeat type of affair. After 26 years, I would have expected more radical changes than a refundable health bar and some superduper attacks. But even I can sense the solace a slick rehash like this will bring to old-school rage artists, given these are the perfect weeks (months (years?)) to mindlessly totter through a city of angry pedestrians with a friend or three, chatting nonsense and eating postbox tofu.

For anyone hoping it would bring a little modern fluidity to a long-stagnant genre, you might have to moonwalk upwards from this one. But for Ragers, it’s a sturdy score-attacking blowout to while away some hours, perfecting your flying knees and enflamed uppercuts, arguing over who deserves the trash salad.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

But Streets of Rage, as a series, is a time capsule from a different, simpler era. While it's blunt and repetitive, it also manifests a relaxing social space with ease. Call it video games as loitering. The music is as good as it's ever been in the series. The stages and characters are beautiful, reimagining the original trilogy's '90s locales and punk-inspired band of baddies in a way that stands up to those games without scarring modern eyes. The action itself is so simple that you can get lost in a conversation about, well, anything as you play.

• Thanks 1

Played the first two levels as Axel and a little bit of the first as Cherry and it was good times. The look of the game seems to flow a lot better than when I first saw it, looks great honestly. I’m enjoying the ability to do some more advanced combos, really adds variety. I do wish all characters had dash though, Axel doesn’t but Cherry does and while my first play through I’ll stick with Axel for old times sake, playing with Cherry does seem more fun with having dash. Though Axel’s special makes for more fun combo juggling. 

Anyone know how unlocking the old characters works? Mostly I need skate asap.

Played it with my sister yesterday. We beat it on normal, but will likely go back to tackle harder difficulties. 

the classic characters, like the streets of rage 1 versions feel a little handicapped as they only have their classic move sets. 

still it was really fun. Gave my sister and I those nostalgic feels of playing the originals on Genesis. I hope we see either DLC missions or a new game in the not too distant future (2021)

I decided i’d much rather play it on switch even though I had it on gamepass free, glad I did. I beat it once with Axel and played as some other characters in the first couple levels a few times and now have the original SOR cast unlocked, skate should be soon hopefully. It’s soooo good.

Edit: And I got an S ranking in level 2 with SOR Axel! He seems kinda OP since he hits so fast.

I gotta say unlocking seems pretty fair here, I was afraid it was going to be more of a grind or make you play difficulty levels I’m not good enough to beat. Just got Max and SOR2 Axel. I bet they make me unlock SOR2 Blaze next before I get Skate since they know that’s what the people want.

Also the retro filter actually works really well to give it a pixel art sort of look that makes the SOR1 characters blend in and not stand out so much. SOR2 characters really blend in that way as well but the quality of those are good enough thst with the added lighting to them I don’t mind just having it regular.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this earlier today, totally forgot it came out.

It's a ton of fun, I really like it. Some stages are out of control with those hyper-armor and super fast special moves on enemies but I think it's a matter of gitting gud.

I'm playing with the old school control scheme, couldn't get used to picking stuff up with not-punch. What do people recommend overall?

That art gallery stage was a super cool level so far, just cleared it. I really dig how challenging it is overall so far.

• 10 months later...