~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

On 8/28/2024 at 4:31 PM, SaysWho? said:

My current employer needs a partnership to be approved or else the business will likely be sold. I'm already on the job hunt again to be safe since leaving my last job in April. I did get an interview with another news station and am supposed to hear back, yay or nay, this week.

It's so anxiety-inducing. I was happy to have a job lined up after leaving my last one, and the one last was so toxic that a slight pay cut was well worth the mental health improvement. I'm incredibly happy at my current job, but business during the slow season has been hellishly slow, and now it's just been sad to see the owner as stressed as he's been.

I'm hoping the partnership works out because I feel at peace here, but if not, I hope the other job prospects shake out. Especially considering the wedding/honeymoon we've been saving and paying for.

Yeah, freaking sucks. He'd have posted plenty of times on the election OT if he were still with us, so it kind of sucks thinking about the posts which aren't there.

Want to give an update:

Long-short: I started work as a ballroom instructor after leaving my last job because the management consisted of dishonest shit stains. I've been loving it, but the place had an opening because another guy left and took his students with him. That put a big hole in revenue, as you'd imagine. And the boss is a good guy, truly. He doesn't want to sell the place, but it's been hard, especially since the summer is slow season as the snowbirds are gone on top of the loss of critical students.

The two who were an interested party for partners said no, unfortunately, because they compete a lot and didn't feel it was fair to ask to be paid if they're going to be gone for a period of each month. They're good peeps and I actually think they have a valid reason to not partner, even though I was hoping they would. However, there are now two more interested parties for partners. They're bringing their students to a party we're hosting in a week, and we're hoping they become partners now. Also, I've sold a bunch of packages this week, which has helped things financially.

I'm more optimistic now, but man, working in a small business now is a little more stressful due to this kind of financial stress. I've applied for other communications jobs that probably would pay more than my TV job out of the gate, but they're so different. I've danced here for a while and I've always wanted to see this place succeed even before I worked here. It's been nice to be a POSITIVE force for students and give them a fun time 1/2/3 times a week and see them grow and get excited about learning something, and even if life is being shitty on the outside, they can forget about it here. So fingers crossed things work out here because I'd like this place to do well enough and for me to continue to build a base. It's a job I never thought I'd have but I'm now hoping works.

• stepee 1

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Want to give an update:

Long-short: I started work as a ballroom instructor after leaving my last job because the management consisted of dishonest shit stains. I've been loving it, but the place had an opening because another guy left and took his students with him. That put a big hole in revenue, as you'd imagine. And the boss is a good guy, truly. He doesn't want to sell the place, but it's been hard, especially since the summer is slow season as the snowbirds are gone on top of the loss of critical students.

When I was single in 2016 a friend told me I should take ballroom dancing to meet tall Russian women. I never did. I've been in a great relationship for 6 years now, but I sometimes wonder what would have came from ballroom dancing. 

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, Vitalsign said:

When I was single in 2016 a friend told me I should take ballroom dancing to meet tall Russian women. I never did. I've been in a great relationship for 6 years now, but I sometimes wonder what would have came from ballroom dancing. 

A perfect place to meet Russian women in particular, yes! In Europe and especially eastern Europe and Russia in general, it's a popular sport. It has a different connotation for some folks in the U.S., although some of that has abated ever since Dancing with the Stars took off and So You Think You Can Dance? became popular for a while. 

My coach is from Moldova. She's short, though. The woman doing our wedding dance choreography is American but she's 5'11" so YMMV.

I’m not gonna be finishing all my ink this year sadly 

next session is next Sunday and that’ll knock out my left leg but have the entirety of my right leg left still. 

gotta bring the back piece down to the glutes too.

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I got a call earlier from someone about a position.  They were looking for someone with more networking and cybersecurity experience, but they were nice and said they would keep my resume on file.

I guess that's a positive.

Hack into their system and then ask them if that's enough network and cybersecurity experience. There's no way this can backfire.

• Haha 2