~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

My wife tested positive for COVID. This one seems pretty brutal. 

I had three nights in a row of not sleeping enough last week, starting with like 5 hours on Thursday night, so I'm really hoping it's just that catching up to me. Then I woke up in the middle of the night last night and was up for a solid 30 minutes so wasn't the best quality sleep either.

My current employer needs a partnership to be approved or else the business will likely be sold. I'm already on the job hunt again to be safe since leaving my last job in April. I did get an interview with another news station and am supposed to hear back, yay or nay, this week.

It's so anxiety-inducing. I was happy to have a job lined up after leaving my last one, and the one last was so toxic that a slight pay cut was well worth the mental health improvement. I'm incredibly happy at my current job, but business during the slow season has been hellishly slow, and now it's just been sad to see the owner as stressed as he's been.

I'm hoping the partnership works out because I feel at peace here, but if not, I hope the other job prospects shake out. Especially considering the wedding/honeymoon we've been saving and paying for.

6 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Fuck.

Yeah, freaking sucks. He'd have posted plenty of times on the election OT if he were still with us, so it kind of sucks thinking about the posts which aren't there.

• Hugs 3

36 years of gaming prepared me for this moment. As the first step to getting one, I had a 2 hour Jaco Arm demo today, it was so fucking cool. It was able to pick up a glass, fill it with water, and have a drink. I can open doors, brush my teeth, hit light switches, SCRATCH MY FACE. 

• stepee 3
  • Sicko 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 7

20 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

36 years of gaming prepared me for this moment. As the first step to getting one, I had a 2 hour Jaco Arm demo today, it was so fucking cool. It was able to pick up a glass, fill it with water, and have a drink. I can open doors, brush my teeth, hit light switches, SCRATCH MY FACE. 

Wow, that's awesome!

But...how soft are the robot hands? What I mean to say is...have you scratched another itch? That doesn't make you a robosexual.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wow, that's awesome!

But...how soft are the robot hands? What I mean to say is...have you scratched another itch? That doesn't make you a robosexual.

I... wouldn't try it. 

Me getting water:

• stepee 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

21 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I... wouldn't try it. 

Me getting water:

Holy shit that’s so cool. What is the experience like? Would you call it difficult to use, or does it feel intuitive? I had no idea this even existed.

43 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I... wouldn't try it. 

Me getting water:

That's pretty cool. Is there a slow max speed that it moves at when holding the joystick to the extreme position? Or, similarly, is there a kind of dampening/acceleration programmed in so it doesn't move in jerky motions? 

18 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

Holy shit that’s so cool. What is the experience like? Would you call it difficult to use, or does it feel intuitive? I had no idea this even existed.

It took my brain about 30 minutes to wrap my head around the controls, but it clicked pretty quickly. It uses my chair's joystick, it is just another mode. Once in the mode there are 4 sub modes. 1 is forward back left right. 2 is up down and twist the wrist. 3 is weird, it moves the hand to point the fingers. 4 is finger mode to open and close the fingers all 3 or 2. They added a button to cycle through the sub modes.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's pretty cool. Is there a slow max speed that it moves at when holding the joystick to the extreme position? Or, similarly, is there a kind of dampening/acceleration programmed in so it doesn't move in jerky motions? 

Proportional controls aren't a thing with it like my chair's driving modes, so yeah it is a little clunky. What they can enable is a timed acceleration so it's start slow and speed up if the input continues. Plus the tech didn't enable diagonal controls (left and forward at the same time) so it wasn't as smooth. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Well...this might be it for me living on my own.

I need to find a job before Halloween, given my current joblessness and financial situation.  Maybe the job market will be more generous after Labor Day, but I doubt it.  Otherwise, I'll have to move out of the apartment that I've called my home for 5 and a half years.

I don't know what will happen to me after that.

• Hugs 3

30 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Well...this might be it for me living on my own.

I need to find a job before Halloween, given my current joblessness and financial situation.  Maybe the job market will be more generous after Labor Day, but I doubt it.  Otherwise, I'll have to move out of the apartment that I've called my home for 5 and a half years.

I don't know what will happen to me after that.

It’s not the end of the world man, I lived on my own for eight years and then moved back in with my parents. It sucks but it will at least give you a stable safe place from which to get on your feet.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

36 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

It’s not the end of the world man, I lived on my own for eight years and then moved back in with my parents. It sucks but it will at least give you a stable safe place from which to get on your feet.

Same thing happened to me. I lived on my own for 15 years and now I'm currently living with my parents until things get sorted out. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

Our society tells us that we’re failures for moving back in with mommy and daddy; meanwhile the rest of the world has been doing it for forever and it’s seen as totally normal, even smart. In some cultures, things like family and community actually still matter!

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

I appreciate the words of encouragement, but none of it makes me feel any better.

When I was 18 and graduated from high school, I spent over a decade basically just wondering when my life would finally begin.  The first few years were some of the most miserable of my life, living with my parents, couldn't find an actual job, and working under my dad with his concrete business, and I hated every minute of it.

Then in 2013, I found a decent paying job at a call center.  It wasn't glamorous and I still had to live with my parents, but it was a step up.

Finally, in 2019, I got an actual real job at an insurance company.  One thar finally paid me well enough that I could finally move out and live on my own.  Sure, it took me until I was 30, but hey, better late than never.  I had my own place, adopted my own cat Beerus, and for once in my adult life, I was happy, content, and at peace.

...then my company drove a dagger into my spine earlier this June and laid me off.  Now I feel I'm just back to square one with nothing to show for it, and I'll never experience that happiness or contentment ever again.

• Hugs 1

I guess this is one way to let the cat out of the bag for one of "my" programs :lol:

THEDEBRIEF.ORG

Fisherman off the coast of Hawaii accidentally stumble across a classified DARPA drone with unique features.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I guess this is one way to let the cat out of the bag for one of "my" programs :lol:

THEDEBRIEF.ORG

Fisherman off the coast of Hawaii accidentally stumble across a classified DARPA drone with unique features.

“The PacMar Technologies system identified off the coast of Waikiki is a prototype designed to test energy-harvesting,” a DARPA spokesperson said. “Using ocean currents to generate renewable energy is a capability being explored as part of DARPA’s Manta Ray program.”

Yeah, okay guys. Sure.