~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

16 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I have nothing.  I feel nothing.  Just...emptiness.

I hate this.

At least you've still got a big dick, right? :] 

(Just trying to make you laugh, sorry :p )

Sorry man, it will definitely get better but I'm sure it feels awful right now. Try to remember that it had nothing to do with you and everything to do with the poor planning of some idiot higher up. And reach out for support (to me or anyone else in your life) if you need to. :hug:  You've got this! 

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I have nothing.  I feel nothing.  Just...emptiness.

I hate this.

Right there with you brother man. Let’s not kill ourselves and keep going together like real men.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Welp, I resisted getting term life insurance for years; now guess I better do it. Never thought I’d be seriously considering this 

Why??? I don't get it. I have life insurance, isn't it the responsible thing to do?

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Why??? I don't get it. I have life insurance, isn't it the responsible thing to do?

Has to make sure his harem is taken care of once all the juice catches up to him. 

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

Has to make sure his harem is taken care of once all the juice catches up to him. 

This is basically it honestly. So my nesting partner gets to continue to live the life she’s accustomed to.

Also no such thing as a harem in ethical non monogamy my guy. Harem implies coercion and power mismatches, my partners chose to play and stay on their own volition.

7 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

My goal has always been to stack as much cash as possible into equities so the assets can be transferred when I’m gone easy, my savings rate was over 50% until I bought here in the bay. I always found it better for the monthly premium I was quoted to be placed into a mutual fund as a result. Now with a lot of my net worth, nearly 60%, in non liquid assets it’s the smart thing to do for her. My investment/savings rate fell off a cliff and my recent net worth statement demonstrated the need.

56 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Also no such thing as a harem in ethical non monogamy my guy. Harem implies coercion and power mismatches, my partners chose to play and stay on their own volition.

No offense meant brother, just goofin. Apologies. 

Water turned off no notice in my apartment, unit downstairs from me needed some kind of plumbing work so the unit below and the unit above me all have our water turned off. My building manager said he knew yesterday evening this would need to happen and when I said notice would have been appreciated, he says in this exasperated tone of voice that he just didn't have any time to give notice. :silly: I'd understand if the unit was literally flooding and you needed to turn off the water to keep it from getting worse that you don't have time to give notice, but 12-18 hours in advance is more than enough time to send a fucking one-sentence email saying this will happen around XYZ time tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Water turned off no notice in my apartment, unit downstairs from me needed some kind of plumbing work so the unit below and the unit above me all have our water turned off. My building manager said he knew yesterday evening this would need to happen and when I said notice would have been appreciated, he says in this exasperated tone of voice that he just didn't have any time to give notice. :silly: I'd understand if the unit was literally flooding and you needed to turn off the water to keep it from getting worse that you don't have time to give notice, but 12-18 hours in advance is more than enough time to send a fucking one-sentence email saying this will happen around XYZ time tomorrow.

Depends on local laws, but that sounds illegal.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Depends on local laws, but that sounds illegal.

It does, this is the first time it's happened so I get stuck with the shitty choice of how confrontational do I want to get about this at this point. Because even if you're clearly right it inevitably starts an escalation. 

Well there was something else recently that I was dubious on the legality of too so without naming my landlord I sent an email to the relevant office in the city government asking about whether this qualifies as an emergency repair and thus qualifies for the emergency repair exemption from giving notice of the water shutoff. Plus sending the email checking if this is legal at least provides documentation that this happened since the only conversation I've had about it with my building manager was on the phone.

• Halal 2

35 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Still no word from anyone about a job.  I'm beginning to lose it...

My fiancé took 7 months to get her current job at Stanford, she was insanely stressed the whole time.

I feel bad for you all in the corporate world.

• Hugs 1

Yeah in my network it's taking ppl who were laid off about 6mo this year. It's just slow af.

I went through a layoff last year and it was crazy busy trying to connect for a new gig. I was working 40+ hours a week trying to tap into any resources I could find.

I'm on a 1yr contract that expires in a few mo. Depending on how renewal discussions go I'll either start the search again or start discussing working from not the USA.

I do think these layoffs are a manufactured way to squeeze well paid professionals so that corporations can maybe get Trump in there and get a tax cut next year. I hope that regardless of Nov's outcome they invest again, they can't get richer not moving their money around.

50 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I can't exactly wait 6 months for a new job.  I'm supposed to get severance pay on Friday and start collecting unemployment, but that's a finite resource.  I'd like to have a roof over my head by Thanksgiving!

Same bruv same

Don't you just love it when you waste a week preparing a presentation on a hypothetical architecture you've never done before for a provider you have so-so experience with that a recruiter told you to do only for you to get to the presentation, and the team is baffled why you didn't put together a presentation on a past architecture you built. Yeah.... I was so stilted during the call because I couldn't really give a technical breakdown of some of the choices. =/ At least the recruiter contacted me immediately to let me know the confusion was on them and the team will take it into account. Maybe I should just build another SaaS company rather than be an SA.

• Hugs 2