CBS Rejects Medical Marijuana Ad for Super Bowl

Acreage Holdings, a company that works to make marijuana available to adults for medical and/or recreational use where legal, is hoping to spark a haze of publicity by noting CBS declined to run a 60-second commercial it created to run in the network’s coming broadcast of Super Bowl LIII on Sunday February 3rd. The move is one of the latest in a series of promotional stunts various entrepreneurs have tried to enact around the Super Bowl each year.

“We put together a storyboard for an ad we planed on producing, ad we submitted it to the ad buying team at CBS through a media partner of ours. Very quickly after we submitted, we received rejection, and it wasn’t wholly unexpected,” says Harris Damashek, the company’s chief marketing officer, in an interview.” Most U.S. TV networks do not as a matter of course accept ads for marijuana products at present, because federal laws do not allow the products to be sold in all parts of the United States.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/marijuana-super-bowl-commercials-2019-cbs-1203113517/

53 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

When I was on vacation in Florida over Christmas, John Boehner kept popping up on TV for me to text him to find out how to become a "Marijuna Millionaire".

Yeah I see it appear a few times every hour on CNN. Would of been interesting to see the commercial and actual reaction of the people.

its been handy with me and my recent wrist surgery. Gave me Percocets for the pain but they don’t do too much for me, but grew my own stuff and works great combined. Sure I’m still in pain but a much more bearable pain then just using the Perc’s

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

CBS would be insane to run a marijuana ad while it's illegal at a federal level, and I'm sure this company knew that.

They knew it would be turned down. They are more interested in the free publicity tour for getting turned away. I doubt their marketing budget has the money for a 60 second super bowl ad. 

3 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I would rather not marijuana become so commercial that we have ads for it on TV. We really should be trying to reign in alcohol advertising, not allowing more ads.

They have ads for every other drug out there with a 30 second rundown of it makes your anus bleed and you should see your doctor if it does so. Why not marijuana?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They have ads for every other drug out there with a 30 second rundown of it makes your anus bleed and you should see your doctor if it does so. Why not marijuana?

We should legalize it, but we don't have to celebrate it. I remember the tobacco ads when I was a kid. Joe Camel looked like a badass. That stuff has an effect. Alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, and any other drug we can buy for general use should have ads restricted. If usage started spiking in teens, the movement towards legalization may end up falling apart. I would prefer smart, measured policies that regulate the stuff and keep ads off TV.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think this advertisement was going to be anything like this. In fact, here is the ad:

Yeah I'm not concerned with ads like that and should have been more specific that my concerns are more general. I am concerned with glorifying cannabis like alcohol is and tobacco used to be glorified.