Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallow's Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/05): "Get to Know Your Companions" (IGN First)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, it looked like a trailer for a MOBA more than an RPG, but I'll reserve judgement until after Tuesday's reveal. 

Yeah if you wanted that you'd be playing DOTA 2 with me instead!

(One can dream at least :daydream: )

• True 1

25 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, it looked like a trailer for a MOBA more than an RPG, but I'll reserve judgement until after Tuesday's reveal. 

I was gonna true you but I'm judging so fuckin' hard rn

• Haha 1

The more I think about this reveal trailer the more I hate it. It feels like like everything about it was designed by a suit. The marketing they're doing on twitter with phrases like "We're finally ready to reveal our most compelling companions yet in #DragonAge! Meet the #Veilguard 💜" paired with this awful trailer makes me hate it more.

It feels a lot like Rebel Moon where they are trying so fucking hard to have these cool quirky and light hearted heroes but it just fucking sucks.

I so hope all that is because the reveal was designed by a suit, but not the game. 

I'm tellin' you. It's the exact same BioWare that made DA:I and ME:A. Nothing is changed. Nothing was learned. Tho I get that DA:I was really popular with the unwashed masses so why would they change.

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm tellin' you. It's the exact same BioWare that made DA:I and ME:A. Nothing is changed. Nothing was learned. Tho I get that DA:I was really popular with the unwashed masses so why would they change.

This trailer looks substantially worse than anything in those games. Although I suppose its possible their reveal trailers were bad too. I can't remember.

Also, DA:I had an awesome theme. God the shitty modern cover music in TVG reveal was off-tone and bad.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

The more I think about this reveal trailer the more I hate it. It feels like like everything about it was designed by a suit. The marketing they're doing on twitter with phrases like "We're finally ready to reveal our most compelling companions yet in #DragonAge! Meet the #Veilguard 💜" paired with this awful trailer makes me hate it more.

It feels a lot like Rebel Moon where they are trying so fucking hard to have these cool quirky and light hearted heroes but it just fucking sucks.

I so hope all that is because the reveal was designed by a suit, but not the game. 

The hope I have is based on the fact that marketing is now skewing younger than us. So that means sassy characters, hash tags, emojis, and a general ego driven style over substance vibe is how they market now. So maaaayyybbbeee, the game itself won't be quite as douchey as the marketing? Maybe? Say yes! 

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, legend said:

This trailer looks substantially worse than anything in those games

Not wrong there. I just think they are being "honest" with their marketing this time.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The hope I have is based on the fact that marketing is now skewing younger than us. So that means sassy characters, hash tags, emojis, and a general ego driven style over substance vibe is how they market now. So maaaayyybbbeee, the game itself won't be quite as douchey as the marketing? Maybe? Say yes! 

God does this marketing work on the younger generation? Am I going to have my first cloud yelling moment?

21 minutes ago, legend said:

God does this marketing work on the younger generation? Am I going to have my first cloud yelling moment?

Do it! I see a cirrocumulus outside my window that is just begging for a vigorous dress down! :angry: 

• Haha 1

The thing it reminded it me of was last year’s D&D movie, which was a lot of fun. Dragon Age isn’t a series that ever meant a lot to me though, so I’m not really bothered by a different tone. 

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The thing it reminded it me of was last year’s D&D movie, which was a lot of fun. Dragon Age isn’t a series that ever meant a lot to me though, so I’m not really bothered by a different tone. 

It looks like it's trying to be that, but (1) failed and (2) is not what I wanted from DA.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

It looks like it's trying to be that, but (1) failed and (2) is not what I wanted from DA.

We're never getting another Dragon Age Origins from Bioware. I just wanted to pull that band aid off first. The best I believe we can hope for here is a decent action RPG. This is also doubtful. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

We're never getting another Dragon Age Origins from Bioware.

I just want it from someone, man. BG3 got close, but it didn't quite hit the spot.

Just now, Bacon said:

I just want it from someone, man. BG3 got close, but it didn't quite hit the spot.

Agreed, but I'm afraid that there is currently no one in the dev field with the interest/cash/skill to pull that off. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It means a lot to me and I've probably put a ton more hours into the series than most people here and I have no idea what was so objectionable about that trailer. It was a character introduction trailer introducing the titular Veilguard who we know nothing about. Some of the characters looked cool, some looked lame. Couple of things I noticed was the Warden character seemed to have a Griffen with him so I wonder if that will be incorportated in the game. In the Lore, They Grey Wardens rode griffens, but I don't think they were ever in the game.

The other thing that was a bummer to me is that it seems like each character will have their signature weapon and armor and that's it. One of the things I loved about the original DA:O was being able to kit out your companions however you liked with their weapons and appearance. They did away with that in the second game and brought back a limited version of it in the third I think. I get the impression from this they're sticking with that. Other than that, I didn't mind the tone of the trailer especially since Varric is the POV of the trailer. Admittedly, he's not my favorite character in the series but the tone of the trailer suits his sensibilites, with him being a storyteller and everything :shrug: Really hoping the nail the gameplay with this because the first game remains the best one in the series. All they need to to is do the first game with better graphics and more action-y gameplay and you're good.

• stepee 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The other thing that was a bummer to me is that it seems like each character will have their signature weapon and armor and that's it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the ME2/3 route with armor and weapons.

Honestly, I don't hate that.

49 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

We're never getting another Dragon Age Origins from Bioware. I just wanted to pull that band aid off first. The best I believe we can hope for here is a decent action RPG. This is also doubtful. 

My hope is that a post BG3 world will inspire more investment in classic RPG goodness. The new DA was far too far along in development when BG3 hit to be that, but my hope is more will. More likely though is we'll get a bunch of high budget games that investors think looks sufficiently like a BG3 game, but is not and then they'll decide it's still not a profitable genre.

• Hugs 2

I can’t express how much I’ve always hated Joss Whedon dialogue going back to Buffy.

It’s a fucking crutch that makes everything insincere with everyone a slightly different variation of the quippy smart ass.

I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

Tarantino is someone who actually knows how to write good heightened reality dialogue that sounds natural and doesn’t cop out on heavy or emotional scenes

32 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I can’t express how much I’ve always hated Joss Whedon dialogue going back to Buffy.

It’s a fucking crutch that makes everything insincere with everyone a slightly different variation of the quippy smart ass.

I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

Tarantino is someone who actually knows how to write good heightened reality dialogue that sounds natural and doesn’t cop out on heavy or emotional scenes

DA:O had similar dialogue especially coming from Alistair and Morrigan. Varric was introduced in the second game and he's PURE smart ass. This sensibility, at least as presented in this trailer, is nothing new to the series. Have you guys made up your minds about this game already and just decided it's going to suck? It might... but I'd like to know more about it personally besides a gimmicky marketing trailer and a title change personally :shrug:

• Halal 1

Having a single smart ass character is fine. Its when it becomes “the movie” is when it is terrible (with a few exceptions like Deadpool)

Also the biggest problem I have with Whedon style dialogue isn’t the smart assness but the self referential and meta aspects

The “He’s right behind me isn’t he” or “Hulk smash” type stuff

I am totally willing to change my mind if the trailer was just marketing team garbage that completely doesn’t understand the game or audience but man that trailer was straight depressing.