Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallows' Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (10/15): PC Requirements and Global Launch times

Commissar SFLUFAN

IGN First coverage:

WWW.IGN.COM

As our IGN First coverage of Dragon Age: The Veilguard continues, we dig into all the ways that BioWare's RPG evolves its signature approach to relationships.

As we edge closer to the release of Dragon Age: The Veilguard, there’s been an overwhelmingly positive reaction from those who’ve had the chance to preview the game. An exhaustive character creator, slick combat, and expansive scenery definitely left us excited to get our hands on The Veilguard this October. But if you’re a Dragon Age fanatic you may be wondering about one incredibly vital thing: who do we get to kiss? As part of our continuing IGN First coverage, we sat down with game director Corinne Busche to talk romance and relationships as vital parts of the game.

The Veilguard is a veritable candy shop with different flavors of romance. You want a buff gym rat? Taash. A heroic pet dad? Davrin. An elegant older fellow with an emotional support skeleton? Emmrich, of course. There are seven companions total and, yes, you do get to smooch all of them.

“We really did want to keep them relatable, more grounded. Some of them are quite sensual. Some of them are more physical, some are more romantic, some are more spicy,” says game director Corinne Busche of the variety of the game’s romances, “You may or may not wake up in a coffin.”

WWW.IGN.COM

Creative director John Epler dives deep into the lore of Dragon Age: The Veilguard, the emphasis on not contradicting previous choices, and more as part of our IGN First.

Somewhat famously, the fourth game in the Dragon Age series has gone through a lot of changes in the ten years since Dragon Age: Inquisition. What’s now known as Dragon Age: The Veilguard began development in 2015 and in that time, reports emerged of Dragon Age 4 going the live-service route, with a heavy multiplayer component.

The eventual confirmation that EA would let BioWare go full single-player with Dragon Age 4, keeping with the series’ history, led to a major sigh of relief from many fans. And when I got my hands on the game last month for our IGN First coverage (read my full preview here), I struggled to catch any whiffs of its multiplayer past in the gameplay, so I can only imagine the overhaul that was done behind the scenes.

But, interestingly, there was one thing that Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s creative director, John Epler, tells me never changed throughout the near-decade of development: “There was never a version of the story of Dragon Age 4 where Solas was not at the center,” he says. Basically, if you were worried that the name change from Dragon Age: Dreadwolf to The Veilguard would mean we’re not focused on Solas, think again.

WWW.IGN.COM

As our IGN First exploration of Dragon Age: The Veilguard comes to a close, we go inside BioWare to see how it was able to reset Dragon Age: The Veilguard after a tumultuous decade and finally get it to the finish line.

Anticipation was running high within BioWare when Andrew Wilson and Laura Miele, two of EA’s top executives, visited the studio in 2023. They were there to see the latest Dragon Age, which had been in development in one form or another for nearly a decade. It was a chance to show that after struggling through the releases of Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem, BioWare was finally back on the right track.

The story of their visit came up more than once in our visit to BioWare for September’s IGN First. Director Corinne Busche, who was conducting the demo, remembers rehearsing for “hours and hours” to make sure she got everything right.

“I knew the content like the back of my hand and everything was going so well. But of course we get to the live demo with Andrew Wilson and Laura Miele in the room, and as soon as I fight a Pride Demon I get walloped right off the edge and down into a pit and die,” Busche laughs. “And he turns and looks at me and goes, ‘Well, at least your load times are great.’”

It was an embarrassing moment for Busche, but in its own way, a victory. At that time, the game that would become Dragon Age: The Veilguard was less than three years removed from a major reset, shifting from the skeleton of a multiplayer game with repeatable quests, a tech base, and the outline of a story, to a full-blown single-player RPG. In that time, BioWare had effectively torn Dragon Age down to the studs, implementing a brand-new battle system along with a host of new content. It was a striking turnaround for a game that at one point looked like it might never release at all.

To cap off our IGN First coverage for Dragon Age: The Veilguard, we’re going to take you inside BioWare on the eve of a major milestone in its history. In the course of reporting on this story, I spent two days at BioWare, played hours of Dragon Age, and had a lengthy sitdown interview with Studio General Manager Gary McKay.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No DRM, perhaps the game will run well. 🤔

I just don’t trust EA. It’s not beyond them to leave the game DRM free for reviews and then patch it in day one or week one. Then patch it back out in 1-2 years and call it a performance patch.  

7 hours ago, legend said:

I'm not seeing DLSS? And those raytracing requirements suck for 4k if they don't have DLSS.

EDIT: Okay, googling says they do have DLSS support, in which case I really hope those are native performance estimates.

the fine print at the bottom says the performance estimates are with upscaling. What level of upscaling is not known. Could be Quality, could be Ultra Performance, but my money is on Performance. 

41 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I just don’t trust EA. It’s not beyond them to leave the game DRM free for reviews and then patch it in day one or week one. Then patch it back out in 1-2 years and call it a performance patch.  

the fine print at the bottom says the performance estimates are with upscaling. What level of upscaling is not known. Could be Quality, could be Ultra Performance, but my money is on Performance. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvNagbzrBH0iiY01t4XAQ

• True 1

55 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its worth at leas taking a wait and see approach with Veilgaurd, given the last 10 years.  

It's also that part of the ridiculous justification they gave for reneging the promises they made of fixing Anthem was that they needed focus on DA. 

• True 1