Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallows' Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (10/15): PC Requirements and Global Launch times

Commissar SFLUFAN

I think that the fundamental difference between reviewers (I expect decent to glowing reviews based on the "vibe" of previews) and those that don't end up liking this game will how much you accept moving to a ME2 structure. Basically, this looks like a solid fantasy action RPG. If it didn't have the DA title, I'm sure many would be fairly accepting of what it is offering. I'm still sad that DA:O was the only entry of its kind in its own series, but I can also acknowledge, and move on from the fact, that I won't be getting that type of game here. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I really enjoyed DA:I. DA2 was my least favorite of the series. 

I definitely like Origins and I think it's the best out of any of the games by a LOT (including the expansion pack). I thought DA2 was "fine" from a pure gameplay perspective, but the "everything sucks no matter what" style of story telling really brings it down and makes it my least favorite of the 3 main games for sure.

54 minutes ago, Best said:

Tbf, you litteraly hate 99% of games. 

I don't hate 99% of games. You can say I am overly critical, but I still end up giving most AAA games a 7/10 because it is hard for these massive studios to actually make something totally incompetent. The lowest score I have ever given a AAA title in recent years was with Dragon's Dogma 2. I gave it a 6/10. I'd actually give it a 5/10 now because I think this is a case of the devs actually failing to make something competent despite having a recipe for success.

I think most AAA games are like blockbuster crowd-pleaser movies. Stuff like Marvel or Star Wars. There are some real bangers there, but most are just pretty mid. That's how I view AAA games. Some great shit here and there, but most of the time it will be a 7/10.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't hate 99% of games. You can say I am overly critical, but I still end up giving most AAA games a 7/10 because it is hard for these massive studios to actually make something totally incompetent. The lowest score I have ever given a AAA title in recent years was with Dragon's Dogma 2. I gave it a 6/10. I'd actually give it a 5/10 now because I think this is a case of the devs actually failing to make something competent despite having a recipe for success.

I think most AAA games are like blockbuster crowd-pleaser movies. Stuff like Marvel or Star Wars. There are some real bangers there, but most are just pretty mid. That's how I view AAA games. Some great shit here and there, but most of the time it will be a 7/10.

I mean what would you give GOW Ragnarok? I know you played that. 

And I'm totally all for a ME version of Dragon Age. I love Mass Effect (not Andromeda). While I still want more DA:O at least it's not like DA:I. IMO, DA2 already felt like a more Mass Effecty version of Dragon Age.

21 minutes ago, Best said:

I mean what would you give GOW Ragnarok? I know you played that. 

Almost an 8

On 11/23/2022 at 10:09 PM, Bacon said:

I'll get platinum tomorrow. I agree with some of the stuff @TwinIon said, and also @Kal-El814 but I'm more negative and unforgiving. I really think I'm going to give this a 7.9 despite my enjoyment. Like, oh man, the "final chapter" got me hard while playing thru it, but the moment all the excitement ended I was left thinking how much better the actual ending could have been. The final chapter is a blast when you don't get time to think about it.

I never did change that score. I thought I gave it an 8, but the game just fell short I guess. I think if I played it now I'd give it that extra 0.1 point. I did give Wukong an 8 as well. Big difference is that Wukong nailed the ending whereas GoWR floundered a bit. I still think they kind of dropped the ball in the last act.

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Almost an 8

I never did change that score. I thought I gave it an 8, but the game just fell short I guess. I think if I played it now I'd give it that extra 0.1 point. I did give Wukong an 8 as well. Big difference is that Wukong nailed the ending whereas GoWR floundered a bit. I still think they kind of dropped the ball in the last act.

What's the highest rated game for you?

2000 - BG2
2002 - Neverwinter Nights
2003 - Kotor

2005 - Jade Empire

2007 - Mass Effect

2009 - Dragon Age Origins

2010 - Mass Effect 2

What a fucking 10 year run. Goddamn.  It’s hard not to mourn what they used to be. 

• True 4

3 hours ago, Brian said:

2000 - BG2
2002 - Neverwinter Nights
2003 - Kotor

2005 - Jade Empire

2007 - Mass Effect

2009 - Dragon Age Origins

2010 - Mass Effect 2

What a fucking 10 year run. Goddamn.  It’s hard not to mourn what they used to be. 

They used to be one of my favorite devs. During their era they were only rivaled by Bungie for me.

3 hours ago, Best said:

Back at it's release it was spectacular. It's probably aged horribly. 

The graphics are old, but the gameplay holds up, IMO. I replayed KOTOR 2 not that long ago (mainly because mods restored unfinished end game content) and still enjoyed it and I'm quite sure I'd still enjoy a KOTOR replay.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallows' Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/22): hands-on previews from 6 to 7 hours of playtime (beware of spoilers)
45 minutes ago, legend said:

They used to be one of my favorite devs. During their era they were only rivaled by Bungie for me.

The graphics are old, but the gameplay holds up, IMO. I replayed KOTOR 2 not that long ago (mainly because mods restored unfinished end game content) and still enjoyed it and I'm quite sure I'd still enjoy a KOTOR replay.

I think you're much more forgiving with visuals though. I couldn't get immersed in something that dated. 

4 minutes ago, Best said:

Yes. I'm strange I know. 

Maybe not. The further I get from some of those games initial releases the less I can get into them. I loved KOTOR and played it multiple times on the OG Xbox, but the last time I tried it I couldn’t even get to Dantooine. I don’t know if it is visuals or game design that feels slower and more dated compared to today’s. But I tend to feel like revisiting old games is more of a novelty. 

I may have only been able to replay ME1 in the Legendary collection because of the visual improvements and QoL updates. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallows' Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/24): "Blighted Dragon" gameplay trailer and "Mage Build Deep Dive" video
WWW.IGN.COM

Creative director John Epler dives deep into the lore of Dragon Age: The Veilguard, the emphasis on not contradicting previous choices, and more as part of our IGN First.

Somewhat famously, the fourth game in the Dragon Age series has gone through a lot of changes in the ten years since Dragon Age: Inquisition. What’s now known as Dragon Age: The Veilguard began development in 2015 and in that time, reports emerged of Dragon Age 4 going the live-service route, with a heavy multiplayer component.

The eventual confirmation that EA would let BioWare go full single-player with Dragon Age 4, keeping with the series’ history, led to a major sigh of relief from many fans. And when I got my hands on the game last month for our IGN First coverage (read my full preview here), I struggled to catch any whiffs of its multiplayer past in the gameplay, so I can only imagine the overhaul that was done behind the scenes.

But, interestingly, there was one thing that Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s creative director, John Epler, tells me never changed throughout the near-decade of development: “There was never a version of the story of Dragon Age 4 where Solas was not at the center,” he says. Basically, if you were worried that the name change from Dragon Age: Dreadwolf to The Veilguard would mean we’re not focused on Solas, think again.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallows' Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/25): "How the Game Grapples With the Series’ Wildly Expansive Lore (and Your Choices in It)" (IGN First)
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are all the Journal entries that I've been negligent in posting :p

WWW.EA.COM

A look into how Rook will discover the world

Hello everyone,

Today, we’re back to share more about the world of Dragon Age: The Veilguard (minor spoilers below). While the game is a crafted experience telling a rich narrative, there are many areas to explore. The Lighthouse, for example, is a central place for Rook to rest, spend time with Companions, and learn more about the world through conversation. The Crossroads allow the Veilguard to traverse Thedas in seconds, connecting the Lighthouse to more of the world than ever before. 

Throughout the story, you will go through many diverse areas, from the beauty of the lush Arlathan Forests to the busy streets of Minrathous. Veterans of the series have heard whispers in the past about each of these places in Thedas, but now you will actually be able to explore and experience them in-game. Each area has its own unique feel and style. There are several areas for exploration; each inviting you to delve deeper into the narrative and uncover the many mysteries Thedas holds.

WWW.EA.COM

Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s Composers Announcement

Hey everyone!

Today, we’re so happy to announce that two-time Academy Award® winner Hans Zimmer and GRAMMY® Award winner Lorne Balfe have co-composed the Official Soundtrack (OST) for Dragon Age: The Veilguard, the new single-player fantasy RPG experience coming to PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S and PC via Steam, EA App, and Epic Games Store on October 31, 2024. The legendary composers have collaborated on dozens of projects throughout their careers and have worked closely with the development team at BioWare to create a score celebrating the world of Thedas and its heroes.

Fans will be able to pre-order the Official Soundtrack album beginning October 18th on iTunes and Amazon Music, with the formal release to follow on November 1st via Lakeshore Records. Moreover, in celebration of the announcement, Dragon Age: The Veilguard Main Theme, has been released as the first single from the official soundtrack, and can be downloaded and streamed now on all major music services such as Spotify, iTunes, and more.

WWW.EA.COM

A look into Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s Gameplay Accessibility Options

Hey everyone!

Today, we want to share many of the Accessibility features in Dragon Age: The Veilguard. Regardless of skill level or ability, we want everyone to be able to enjoy the full experience and story of our game. There are several features and settings to customize the game to meet your individual needs; so let’s dig in!

WWW.EA.COM

A look into the Specs and Preload times of Dragon Age: The Veilguard

Hey everyone!

We’re back with another update, including the full specifications of Dragon Age: The Veilguard and preload times. We’ve designed our game with flexibility in mind, from the settings and accessibility options to your in-game Rook, the companions you take with you, and choices you can make.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallows' Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (10/15): PC Requirements and Global Launch times