Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallow's Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/22): hands-on previews from 6 to 7 hours of playtime (beware of spoilers)

Commissar SFLUFAN

28 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I thought DA 2 has some very good story telling and world building, just a shame it clearly carried the birthing scares of a more limited budget and scope. It would have been great as a "gaiden" style offering, but instead carried the burden of being presented to the public as a mainline entry. The game's scope flew in the face of the previous entries depth of customization and so many panned it for what it wasn't rather than what it was. I was one of those that panned it. I can now see retrospectively that it was a good game for what it was. I'm still disappointed at the direction they took the series.  

DA 2 was OK. My problem with it was that they simplified a very good foundation from DA:O. I remember being impressed with the interactions of the Dragon fights in DA:O and that was basically abandoned. They went for style over substance and it hurt the game, IMHO. Heck, even the name "Hawke" just screams trying to sound cool (which Kobra Kai effectively pokes fun at).

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dragon Age 2, despite its flaws, had a couple of memorable characters that the Dragon Age fandom have embraced. People LOVE Isabel, Anders and Aveline. For some reason Bioware has latched on to Varrick, a character I'm not that big a fan of and never have been. Some characters from Inquisition have even resonated with fandom as well despite those characters being the most forgetable for me personally so i think it's a bit of a stretch to say they haven't made memorable characters. Go to any Dragon Age specific fansite or forum and you will see the enthuisasm for characters outside of Origins. That said Origins DOES have the best cast of companion characters. 

As far as the game itself, I don;t see the comparisons to Avengers or Suicide Squad at all (both games I personally enjoyed btw) If anything it looked closer to Final Fantasy XV from a gameplay standpoint, except you can actually issue commands to your companions. Watching that gameplay walkthrough, I saw a decent combination of action and tactics in using the different companions to their best ability and I think that's really going to shine on harder difficulties where resistances and vulnerabilties come into play more. Like all of Bioware's previous games. Bioware has been moving Dragon Age in a more action direction since the first game and it's just been "passable" for the most part... I enjoyed Inquisition, but never bothered to replay it like I've done the other games because I just didn't enjoy it as much. This game looks like they've at LEAST finally nailed the action game part. Could the game flop hard? Sure. Anything is possible... but I think the game is shaping up pretty well. It's the only other game I plan on buying Day One this year besides Space Marine 2 and Ass. Creed Shadows.

Yeah the Inquisitor was pretty fucking bland... another reason why I never bothered to replay Inquisiton. Or Andromeda for that matter. It's ironic because Andromeda has the best moment to moment shooter Gameplay of ALL of the Mass Effect games but I've never felt a reason to revisit it. I don't really recall any "Choices" in the game that I would want to resolve differently. Weird.

I honestly didn't remember a single character beyond Varrick (who I also dislike) and the only reason I remember him is that they've seemed to want to feature him in every game. I looked up the other names and sort of remember them once I saw them but I hold by my statement that they were caricatures vs characters. They're far more defined by what they are than who they are (Isobel, pirate captain and duelist/Aveline: Devout guardian). Comparative to Morigan, a mage that wanted to be freed from her fate of being a vessel to Flemeth and Liliana who's trying to atone and hiding from her old spymaster. As for Inquisition... that game was just bloated. It felt like a MMO in a single player RPGs format with a lot of collect-athon quests. The characters were a big step up from DA2, but they still weren't as fleshed out in terms of their motivations to be part of the main quest.

As for Veilgaurd... I hope I'm wrong and it's great. Regardless of that, I hope you enjoy it if you get it. I just haven't been impressed in the slightest with what I've seen so far, but to re-iterate: I hope I'm wrong.

WWW.IGN.COM

Dragon Age: The Veilguard devs reveal new details about each major companion as part of our month-long IGN First, as well as some about Solas and Varric.

Friendships, romantic relationships, and everything in between have always been an integral part of not just the Dragon Age series, but of BioWare in general. From Mass Effect’s Garrus Vakarian to Dragon Age’s Varric Tethras, the characters – and how they get along with the player – are inseparable from titles from the studio.

But, perhaps more than any other BioWare game, Dragon Age: The Veilguard is leaning in heavily on this idea, as it’s already easy to see from the marketing material. For one, the name changed from Dragon Age: Dreadwolf back in June, with BioWare general manager Gary McKay telling us at the time that it was out of a desire to shift the focus to a “really deep and compelling group of companions.” That would be followed by a first official trailer at Summer Game Fest that put the focus squarely on seven new companions that will be tagging along with the player character, Rook, in The Veilguard.

With all that in mind, it’s little surprise to hear game director Corinne Busche talk about how these companions aren’t just central to the story of The Veilguard, but the gameplay and combat as well.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallow's Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/05): "Get to Know Your Companions" (IGN First)
WWW.IGN.COM

As part of our month-long IGN First, we spent hours of time with Dragon Age: The Veilguard. Check out our exclusive hands-on preview right here.

It’s been ten long years since Dragon Age: Inquisition and the expectations for the next game in the series, Dragon Age: The Veilguard, seem impossible. A full decade, a bevy of behind-the-scenes changes, cuts at BioWare, and a somewhat divisive start when its unveiling began in earnest in June made me a little worried for my most highly anticipated game of the year. But one of my biggest concerns was my impression, based on early previews, that it was headed in the direction of being a linear action game rather than its more open-world predecessor. While Dragon Age is known for changing its style with each installment, I hoped dearly that it wouldn’t lose too much of the DA DNA I fell in love with.

After hours of hands-on time spread across two days, I’m pleased to say I walked away with excitement and curiosity, but mostly, relief to wave many of my concerns goodbye. My time with The Veilguard covered a wide smattering of things: the incredibly expansive character creator (more on that later), the introductory quests, a faction mission, and a companion quest a little deeper into the game. But I was mostly pleased with my ability to just explore Northern Thedas in all its gorgeously designed glory, experiencing a setting in Dragon Age lore that we’ve really only heard about.

To be clear, The Veilguard isn’t the open-world playground that Inquisition was – as game director Corinne Busche has previously stated, it’s more “mission-based.” But what impressed me after the first few hours was how much exploration can still be done in the various regions, as well as the impact the player character, Rook, can have on those regions. Consider it something of a mix of Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition – the more streamlined approach of the former with the rich, geographically and sociopolitically diverse world of the latter.

Of course, some of the bigger artstyle, combat, and gameplay changes will be subject to personal taste. But after my time with Dragon Age: The Veilguard, I left feeling like these ten long years just might’ve been worth the wait.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallow's Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/12): "Hands-On Preview" (IGN First)

Lots of hands-on previews from about 7 hours of playtime (beware of spoilers)

WWW.CGMAGONLINE.COM

CGM got a very extended hands-on look at Dragon Age: The Veilguard, and it looks like BioWare has made good use of the last ten years.

I could go on for thousands more words, but I should save some for once I get my hands on the game for the full review. Right now, there is no doubt in my mind that Dragon Age: The Veilguard will be a contender for Game of the Year this year. With outstanding design, deep, expanded lore and combat that feels fast and exciting, I am waiting impatiently to head back to the world of Dragon Age this fall.

WWW.GAMEPRESSURE.COM

I had the opportunity to spend 6 hours with the new Dragon Age and it was noticeable that Bioware went back in time to the moment when their games were better according to many people. Then they modernized the formula into a quite interesting game.

Who is The Veilguard for?

The tricky question is, for whom is the latest Dragon Age installment actually targeted? I think I'm slowly starting to get it, although I say it only after a few hours with the game. First of all, Veilguard is NOT for people who expect a game in the style of the first installment of the series. This is not a tactical RPG with an active pause, in which you will manage your party - in the form of a mixture of classic RPGs with a slightly more modern approach. It's also not a game for fans of Baldur's Gate 3, which took the RPG world by storm. Specifically, it’s not a formula in which you get absolute freedom of action and a multitude of choices in a huge game, full of complexities and dependencies, which is the modern ultimate RPG that anyone can play however they like.

If you like the world of Dragon Age because of its previous installments, you will be satisfied. This game has a lot of the DNA of the series, just in a form that Bioware has not yet openly shown. It is dark in places, the Blight affects the world at times even more than before, turning these colorful places into ruins full of slime and hideousness.

This is also a game for those who like Bioware RPGs - which means games that are sometimes a bit naive, often full of pathos, putting at stake the events that can change the face of the world if we don't stand up to evil. There are not many shades of gray here, there is a lot of black and white, but the story is presented in such a way that you feel involved. It's a bit like a Call of Duty campaign dressed in fantasy RPG robes - not everyone will like it, but people who like simplicity and epicness will get something like this. It's like a really tasty hamburger.

WWW.VG247.COM

Leaning on companions? Borrowing from the structure of Mass Effect 2 and 3? References to Final Fantasy 10 and 12 for RPG systems? Pinch me.

There’s things that can’t be judged in a day’s hands-on, of course. The developer says it's proud to have structured the game around companions this time - they call them “load-bearing pillars” of the entire experience. The logic, it’s explained, is that BioWare is really good at doing companions - so why not structure the whole game specifically around them? It makes sense. It can’t be judged on just a slice of the game - but for what it’s worth, after a day with them I did begin to feel like this might be the best Dragon Age ensemble yet. The story had me intrigued, too.

The star of the show remains how the game plays, though. Combat feels good - the Rogue is ridiculous. The RPG systems have surprising depth. The entire game is just giving more than I expected.

In fact, the game’s biggest sin so far is simply that Jump and the Interact button are one and the same - a pet hate of mine. But I can forgive that. Especially if the rest of the experience lives up to this first extended hands-on. Roll on October.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Six hours with BioWare's next Dragon Age leave an encouraging indication that fans are in for a treat.

On paper, it can seem like The Veilguard might be doing too much, but in what I played, there was a focus and cohesion between everything; nothing felt superfluous. One of the decisions that I was happy to see work is the switch from open-world to a mission-based structure. BioWare seems to have pulled this off without making the world of Thedas feel any smaller. Instead, Rook and their companions venture out to the far corners of the world from the Crossroads, where a floating, ethereal boat operated by a mysterious Charon-like figure will ferry you to where you need to be. And those locations still have a grandeur to them; open enough to get lost and explore, but not so much that it feels like you're trudging through nothing for lengthy periods of time.

It all goes back to that sense of confidence that I mentioned. Dragon Age: Inquisition is a game I love, but can also recognize as being very messy, often poorly paced, and occasionally a bit of a bore to play. The disparate ideas and uneven execution made me feel like it didn't have a clear direction. Veilguard, from what I played, came across as the complete opposite; a game that looks to have found a strong identity, established clear objectives, and built around the core principles that elevated BioWare to the top of the role-playing genre.

WWW.IGN.COM

Even after hours of gameplay, we still felt like we could have played for many hours more.

As a longtime fan, The Veilguard felt like a homecoming of sorts. Just as much as seeing familiar faces in Solas and Varric, I was overjoyed to be back in the world of Thedas itself. Moving us north allows for that sense of discovery I got in Inquisition, and if I’d encourage anything it’s to really look at your surroundings. Not only are there small environmental puzzles to untangle along with small and effective moments of visual storytelling, but the horizon is full of breathtaking scenery that drives home the scale of these locations I’ve personally always wondered about. One new locale, for instance, is a gorgeous underwater prison called the Ossuary. I won’t spoil what you’re there to do, but the design alone makes it one of the most memorable moments I’ve had in any Dragon Age game.

Even after hours of gameplay, I still felt like I could have played for many hours more. I’m optimistic about The Veilguard and excited for it in a way I haven’t quite felt about another game in quite some time. If you’d like to see even more of the game, check out our exclusive IGN First coverage, which features even more gameplay and deep dives on Rook’s companions.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

There's a BioWare game I keep coming back to when I think about the several hours I spent playing Dragon Age: The Veilg…

I have a good idea of how The Veilguard plays, then, but it's not enough time to answer some of the questions that still nag me, such as how much depth overall there will be. Dialogue choices to me felt more like different flavours of the same answer rather than options for differing paths, and the overall thrust of the game felt similar: one path with deviations rather than distinctly different routes. There are big choices - there are choices that change the fate of entire cities - but these are main quest moments carefully written in. They're not the many smaller choices that make up a meaningful tapestry of our own.

I've only played one act of a three-act game, though, so there's a lot more I haven't seen, and what I have seen was condensed into action-packed missions and sequences, with the exception of the slightly more open-ended Crossroads area, which you will return to time and time again. I didn't see much in the way of downtime because there wasn't time for it, so I haven't seen the quieter moments of the game.

Regardless, I'm elated to see BioWare in this kind of form again. As a cinematic action game, The Veilguard roars with quality, and as a role-playing game it provides a welcome refreshment to the density of Baldur's Gate 3, which it will no doubt be compared against - though perhaps it would be better considered a complement to. Based on what I've played, I've absolutely no doubt The Veilguard will be an enjoyable ride. My only concern is how much of a memorable one it will be.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Dragon Age: The Veilguard won me over with its combat and polish, even if the story won't stop holding my hand.

The best bit is when my companions all get together. That artwork of all seven lounging around in The Lighthouse (above) is an actual scene. Initially, it's Rook sitting in an armchair while Harding and Neve share a sofa, all three discussing what to do after stopping Solas' magical Veil-tearing ritual. It feels lived-in and intimate, putting them in context together in a way I haven't quite felt in a Dragon Age game before. I suspect that setup will be a recurring one as more party members join the crew and larger discussions ensue. And now I'm getting completely into conjecture, but I wonder if my party members' poses in that scene will change as their relationships to me (or to each other) evolve.

Even after hours of gameplay, I still felt like I could have played for many hours more. I’m optimistic about The Veilguard and excited for it in a way I haven’t quite felt about another game in quite some time. If you’d like to see even more of the game, check out our exclusive IGN First coverage, which features even more gameplay and deep dives on Rook’s companions.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Hands-on preview | It's been a long time coming, but Dragon Age: The Veilguard feels like it's worth the wait

By the time I'd gotten to what seemed to be the final battle before the next act at the besieged Grey Warden stronghold of Weisshaupt, after several hours and what was clearly many more that were omitted, I was sprinting for the end. Not because I could cover it, as the initial embargo seemed to preclude me from doing so, but because if I did not reach the end a world would exist where many of my peers knew what happened next, and I did not, for nearly two months. That was, in a word, unacceptable. Ultimately, I finished with two minutes to spare and a sigh of relief – and a slowly calming heart rate due to the immense spike during the last battle. I don't know what all of that says about me as a person, but I do think it speaks to the strength of what BioWare has on its hands.

WCCFTECH.COM

Bioware recently invited Wccftech out to their California campus at Electronic Arts to get an early hands-on with Dragon Age: The Veilguard.

Any fears that Dragon Age: The Veilguard may be watered down in its combat were quickly washed away as I settled into the roles of Mage and later Warrior. Each class offered at least two different distinct playstyles depending on the primary and secondary weapons along with a relatively small list of equipable actions that almost all ran either on some sort of timer or required some energy to charge up in the case of Rook's ultimate attacks. The combat itself sits somewhere between Dragon Age II's action combat and a character action game. Dodges and evasive maneuvers are critical in combat with only a few healing options available to the character (players can bring three health potions at a time into battle, although I did find a piece of gear later on that would expand that with an additional potion slot) and only a very few actual healing spells across all of the various classes and specializations.

Assuming direct control of the Rook's party members is a thing of the past in Dragon Age: The Veilguard, with the crew actually playing relatively smart and synergizing automatically with the player's given playstyle with their own abilities. There is still a pause menu where players can issue specific commands and utilize combo attacks under the right conditions, but players will spend most of the time in combat assuming control of Rook to slash, cast, and roll their way through hordes of enemies. It's a change that will take some getting used to but I've rather enjoyed the evolution to role-playing combat that BioWare has devised in Dragon Age: The Veilguard.

WCCFTECH.COM

We recently interviewed two members of BioWare's development team to discuss Dragon Age: The Veilguard, out next month.

During our trip to San Francisco to play Dragon Age: The Veilguard for the first time, we had the chance to speak with two members of BioWare's development team: Francois Chaput, Missions and Level Design Director, and Matt Rhodes, Art Director, both of which delved into their respective areas of expertise.

WCCFTECH.COM

Here's the full roundtable Q&A with BioWare's Corinne Busche and John Epler, answering all things Dragon Age: The Veilguard at the preview.

As promised yesterday, following our Dragon Age: The Veilguard hands-on preview and exclusive Q&A, here's the full transcript of the longer roundtable Q&A that featured BioWare's Game Directors Corinne Busche and John Epler answering all sorts of questions from the assembled press on the highly anticipated single player action RPG.

WWW.CNET.COM

With spectacular visuals and incredible combat, I cannot wait for Veilguard to launch on Oct. 31.

I entered my preview session for Dragon Age: The Veilguard vaguely excited from what I'd seen back in June, but I left the session eagerly awaiting the game's full release. As someone who never fully clicked with the series, and specifically didn't care for the combat in the previous games, I've pretty much done a complete 180. The game looks extremely nice and the combat was easily the high point. I even left being excited for a character class I usually tend to avoid (a real benefit of getting to play a game early). 

As someone who deeply enjoyed Mass Effect, I'm anxious for another BioWare title to get me just as excited. Based on my early hands-on experience, Veilguard just might be it.

GAMERANT.COM

I spent roughly 6-7 hours playing Dragon Age: The Veilguard at a recent preview event, and it felt like I was back home in Thedas.

After this preview, I bought a Steam Deck for Dragon Age: The Veilguard.

I don't know what else to tell you. That's my final thought leaving the event: I can't wait to play and I don't want to stop playing the next time I can get my hands on it. I travel a lot, which means extended time away from my Xbox where I will mainly play it, and I don't want to go without it for a day. The fact that I still have to wait another month and a half is enough hardship. All in all, between the Steam Deck, two copies of the game, and my pre-ordered Collector's Edition...well, I'm not going to do the math but the money feels worth it to me. The last couple of times I spent this much money on a game was for Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3. I don't regret the investment in those, and I doubt I'll regret the investment here. Again, everything I experienced is in Act 1! I haven't seen much involving Elgar'nan, I need to know what's going on with Harding, the Dwarves, and Titans (I hope), and there's a Blight, a legitimate Blight happening. Like the Grey Wardens of Thedas, I feel the physical need to bring it to an end.

It might not be everyone's game. A game made for everyone is a game for no one, but it is clearly MY game. I've waited for it for ten years, and roughly 6-7 hours with it was enough to justify that wait and torture me over the last legs of this wait. Blight take me, I need it to be October 31 already.

GIZMODO.COM

io9 spent five hours playing BioWare's long-awaited action-RPG, and it shows a lot of promise ahead of its late October launch.

For me, the most surprising thing about Veilguard is how much confidence it exuded throughout the five hours spent with it. It didn’t peacock around like nine years hadn’t passed, and it didn’t try to exist as some kind of apology for the franchise being off the grid (at least, game-wise) for so long. BioWare’s newest title is very self-assured, and it might have the goods it thinks it does. We’ll find out for sure when Dragon Age: The Veilguard releases on Halloween for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. 

WWW.POLYGON.COM

We sat down for more than 6 hours of upcoming single-player RPG Dragon Age: The Veilguard, and the Inquisition sequel looked like BioWare at its best.

Nine years and 11 days ago, BioWare released Dragon Age: Inquisition’s final DLC, Trespasser, and pointed at the stands like Babe Ruth. As a dramatic score pounded, the Inquisitor literally stabbed a knife into a map of Tevinter, a country previously unseen in any Dragon Age game, and spelled out a specific setting, a specific antagonist, and even a specific set of characters to follow (i.e., brand-new ones) in the game’s sequel.

Over the intervening time, and following the many hurdles Veilguard vaulted to get here, I’d long ago released any expectations I had that the game’s plot would follow directly from that called shot. Out of kindness, if nothing else, it seemed too much to expect the creative folks behind the franchise to leash themselves so closely to Inquisition after so much time, turnover, and tribulation.

But I came out of my time with Veilguard nursing the miraculous-seeming hunch, “Mythal’enaste, I think those crazy fuckers might just have done it.” Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I’m right. Maybe I’ll turn out to be right, but only after the first-act rug pull. But either way, to my personal relief, I’m really looking forward to finding out.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

I played a lot of Dragon Age: The Veilguard yet I'm still not sure how to feel about it.

While I didn’t encounter any bugs or performance issues (and wouldn’t bring them up in an early preview anyway) I did find a few things about the way The Veilguard plays to be frustrating. For example, the interact button on the controller is the same as jump, meaning you will constantly leap over characters you want to talk to and items you want to pick up. This was so common I found myself needing to be really intentional about the position of my character and the timing of my interactions, which is about as far away from immersed as you can get.

You auto-mantle everything, even shoulder-high ledges. This created a lot of moments of awkward movement for me. Sometimes if you turn back towards a ledge after jumping off you’ll instantly scramble back up. In the heat of combat I often found myself accidentally leaping around while trying to position myself against the enemy. You also can’t jump when you’re carrying something, so once when I went the wrong way down a ledge, I had to put the object down, jump up, then shimmy close to the edge to try to find the interact prompt so I could pick it back up from the landing below me. These are little things, but little things add up, especially in a game as long as The Veilguard.

Ultimately my takeaway is that seven hours wasn’t nearly enough to get a full sense of The Veilguard. What I saw of the companions intrigued me, particularly Lucanis and his demonic dark passenger that gives him cool powers at the cost of his sanity. I barely saw any of Emmrich, Taash, or Davrin, and Davrin - the monster hunter with a pet griffon, is the companion I’m most drawn to, but know the least about.

WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Dragon Age The Veilguard brings Thedas to life in ways its predecessors could only dream of, but its combat and exploration are a letdown.

The missions I played also felt railroaded, and while level designer Francois Caput assures me that things “open up” as you progress, I spent much of my time going from one spot to another on a predetermined path. While it’s preferable to Inquisition’s MMORPG sprawl and grind, the world still feels a little lifeless. In the sections I played, there were no NPCs asking for help, no weird little creatures to hunt. It’s get from A to B, achieve your goal, then head back to The Lighthouse.

While its characters and narrative worldbuilding feel realized, Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s combat and exploration don’t quite sing during my preview. Perhaps, looking back at Origins and Dragon Age 2, that’s always been the case; a lot of us play for the story and forgive the moment-to-moment action. But there are flashes of greatness in the rogue that prove Bioware can do cool shit, and the world itself is stunning to behold but very ‘look, don’t touch’.

If your aim is to play through the story and romance your favorite Dragon Age: The Veilguard companions, then I think you’ll walk away satisfied. As someone who’s waited a decade, however, my expectations are now muted.

KOTAKU.COM

The decade since Inquisition has taught BioWare a lot about its past and future

From what I played, I believe that it will. I don’t think I would have believed that if The Veilguard had been a live-service multiplayer game. I have spent the past 10 years feeling cynical about Dragon Age, as I long feared it wouldn’t be able to deliver the conclusion I was looking for, and with each passing year my cynicism only grew. 2017’s Mass Effect: Andromeda brought me back home to my favorite world in video games, but was chasing open-world and live-service trends in the margins of what, with proper scaling, could have been a better game. Anthem confirmed my fears that a studio which had created worlds I’d spent thousands of hours in and thousands of hours thinking about had been devoured by the hunt for the next big live-service phenomenon. Now, The Veilguard feels both like a calculated return to familiar territory and a bold declaration of what the studio should have been making these past 10 years.

It’s a shame it took all this strife to get here, but playing those seven hours made me more confident than I’ve felt in years that this team has its head on straight again. Dragon Age: The Veilguard might not be the game some fans want, but it feels like the game BioWare needs.

NOISYPIXEL.NET

Dragon Age: The Veilguard brings BioWare back to RPG greatness with a refined combat system, compelling characters, and a focused mission-based structure. Set after Inquisition, players follow Rook through a journey filled with mythic betrayals and epic battles. Releasing on October 31, 2024, for PS5, Xbox Series, and PC.

Inquisition was, famously, so overloaded with distractions and things to do that BioWare put out a statement begging players to leave the starting area behind, even if they hadn’t finished everything there yet, because people were putting hours into the game without actually making any progress towards the exciting parts. This is a much more frequent style of game now, with massive worlds full of small content, but spending hours walking through picturesque woods and completing errands doesn’t do much to keep the tension of “the world is on the brink of disaster and you have to stop it as soon as possible”.

In The Veilguard, the world is quite literally in the process of ending because of Solas’ plan, so while there will definitely still be plenty of moments of levity according to the team, it makes a lot of sense to focus the play experience and increase the overall quality level of the content. I can understand that this may lessen the role-playing element people look for in Dragon Age titles, but from what I’ve played, I feel that the rest of the game has been bolstered to make up the difference, and the game as a whole is going to be a much better ride.

Where Dragon Age: Inquisition was the first major RPG title of the eighth generation (so early that it also released for seventh-gen consoles) and was basically uncontested until The Witcher 3 came out, The Veilguard is launching in an extremely big year for RPGs. Even so, from what I’ve played here, I have faith that it will manage to carry the series into the future and make a splash of its own. If nothing else, it’ll give us all seven new characters to flood the internet with fanfiction about, and really, isn’t that what counts?

COLLIDER.COM

Find out everything we learned during an day-long playthrough of Dragon Age: The Veilguard, including interviews with key creative team members.

I could have spent hours playing with the tiniest, most subtle, facial features; playing with Rook’s height and weight; tweaking muscle tone; and adorning her body with scars and tattoos and a Sephora-sized collection of make-up options. But for me, the most exciting aspect of the character customization menu was the hair. I scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled through the long list of luscious, bouncy, and diverse hairstyles that Veilguard has. The designers have put so much thought and care into every little detail—including a wide variety of Qunari horns (and decorations) and elven ears of a myriad of lengths and shapes.

GAMINGTREND.COM

It’s hard to know where to start for a preview for a game as big as Dragon Age: The Veilguard, as even with nearly 8 hours of gameplay, I feel like I’m just scratching the surface. We recently headed out to Electronic Arts for an opportunity to try to do just that. Like any good story, it starts in

By the end of my seven hours I’d gotten the hang of parrying and countering, spells and counterspells, and flitting through the air launching arrows from all directions. The three playstyles couldn’t be more different, and it’s amazing just how balanced and fun all three felt. Each of them felt like they had a place in the party, and feeling the progression over time in that massive skill tree made it clear that the skill choices I made mattered in the end.

As is often the case with a game that really grabs you, the day came to a close all too quickly. It’s a great sign when all you want to do is keep playing. From the excellent graphics, the fantastic new combat systems, and a return to writing form, it seems like Dragon Age: The Veilguard is firing on all cylinders. The tighter focus serves to keep the player heavily engaged and the storyline moving, bolstered by some compelling companions that are sure to be fan favorites. It’s been a decade since the last entry for Dragon Age, but Dragon Age: The Veilguard might be the best of the series so far! Thankfully we won’t have to wait too long to find out

WWW.GAMESHUB.COM

Dragon Age: The Veilguard has a steep hill of expectations to climb after ten long years. Thankfully, it's well equipped for the trek.

When writing up my initial feelings after the Dragon Age: The Veilguard preview, I made a point of sitting myself down and examining whether my love of the franchise was in any way clouding my judgement. I wrote up a list of cold, hard facts, separate entirely from my personal feelings about the story, the history, the lore.

Regardless of how I sliced it, no matter how removed I felt emotionally from the experience, I kept coming back to the same verdict: Dragon Age: The Veilguard seems incredibly strong. Extremely strong. After ten years of waiting, it feels like fans are about to get a solid reward for their patience, and despite my initial doubts that the Bioware team’s claims were setting themselves up for risk, they’ve so far hit those expectations and then some.

I’m not saying my experience was perfect by any means – there are some areas that feel tidier than others, and there’s always the caveat that previews like this have the game’s best foot forward for a reason. But if Dragon Age: The Veilguard can follow through on the promises that this preview issued, I truly cannot wait for this game.

WWW.INVERSE.COM

'Dragon Age: The Veilguard' feels drastically different from the rest of the series, transforming it into a new beast entirely. But that might be a good thing.

Before playing Veilguard, I had serious reservations about what this series would look like after ten years, and how it could stay relevant. That thought is now the furthest thing from my mind, as Veilguard feels like its own beast in every way. There’s clearly a vision and style the development team stuck with for this game, through thick and thin. Ultimately, there’s still a lot of unknowns on how the story will pan out, how well-written the companion’s arcs are, and if combat can remain satisfying and fresh for dozens of hours.

But at the very least Veilguard is unique, it’s a game doing its own thing that doesn’t care about what pre-conceived notions the player has. In a series that’s radically changed with each entry, that could just be the right approach — no matter the end result.

After hours spent with Dragon Age: The Veilguard, I’m feeling much more positive than I was going in. Many of my concerns about what a BioWare game looks like, in 2024, were quickly washed away. The Veilguard is BioWare as hell: it’s got compelling characters, enthralling worlds, and plenty of beef.

Yet this crew, formed of some familiar faces and some new ones, seems to be making their own mark on it too. I can sift out the pieces that feel like older BioWare, sure; the ones that spark familiar tones of past games. But there’s some new ideas too. I love the world state changes, the quest-specific zones and areas, and the recontextualization of so many Dragon Age norms thanks to our new, northern locales.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard seems like it could see BioWare reclaiming its spot as a maker of big, exciting RPGs, and that’s encouraging. Walking in, I was just looking to see if the game was real. Now, I really can’t wait to get back to it.

WWW.MMORPG.COM

Dragon Age: The Veilguard is just a few weeks away. Will it live up to the hype? Find out in our comprehensive preview.

Whether you're hyped about the story, combat, or you're just looking forward to returning to Thedas and getting lost in the crossroads, I think Dragon Age: The Veilguard has enough here for fans as well as plenty for the Dragon Age uninitiated.  Considering how well received Inquisition was 10 years ago,  and the fact that Veilguard surpasses it in nearly every way, it only stands to reason that Dragon Age: The Veilguard not only lives up to the hype, but will be a serious contender for Game of the Year. 

WWW.RPGSITE.NET

We take a deeper dive into the RPG progression and character builds of The Veilguard as part of a 7-hour in-depth hands-on session.

The difference to Mass Effect 2 & 3, I suppose, is in the role-playing. The Mass Effect games were quite soft RPGs on the whole - they were action games with branching stories and excellent character relationships. That’s here in The Veilguard, too - I see strong examples of deep story branching, and I think this charismatic cast has a strong shot at being the best ensemble the Dragon Age franchise has ever produced. Naturally, much of this experience will hinge on the story delivery and how great one’s sense of narrative satisfaction is as the credits roll. That’s par for the course for a BioWare game. Nevertheless, it’s the game’s structure which has grabbed me.

Basically, this has the structure of a linear action-adventure game, but the progression timbre and ambition of a full-fat RPG. These two streams don’t quite cross in this way all that often - and the result has seized my attention.

Of course, even a confidently-presented, wide-reaching, all-day preview event is never quite enough to truly judge an RPG of this scale and scope. The final test will be with the final game. What can seem deep at first blush can be less so on closer examination - but for now, I am more than cautiously optimistic. I’m actually rather pumped. I look forward to trying to joyously break this game’s systems next month - my personal hype is now higher than it’s ever been. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon Age: The Veilguard (f.k.a Dreadwolf/a.k.a "Dragon Effect" | All Hallow's Eve 2024) - Information Thread, update (09/22): hands-on previews from 6 to 7 hours of playtime (beware of spoilers)

”The Veilguard feels like the series' Mass Effect 2 moment”

Kermit The Frog No GIF by Muppet Wiki
Count Me Out GIF by Good Boys

Structurally, Dragon Age: The Veilguard most closely resembles Mass Effect 2 and 3. It features that same cadence, mission structure, and feel. That’s no bad thing, though, considering those are some of BioWare’s best.

What lolololol

Vince Vaughn GIF

The media acting like Mass Effect 2 was BioWare’s first game is fucking crazy to me. 

There's a horde of losers out there who think ME2 is the best. When in reality, the events of that game are so inconsequential that everyone but Shepard could die and ME3 could play out exactly the same. It is filler that people adore because people overvalue companions. It's still a great game, but it ain't ME1. Shit, outside of the last 20 minutes, I think ME3 is a better game than ME2.