~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

I've been trying to add some more anime to my watching list. I've been rewatching Ranma 1/2 through most of the year, think I'm about 2/3s of the way through the whole series. Not much to say there, it's still the same Ranma it's been for 30 years. Some of it surprisingly holds up over the decades. Others...not so much. But more holds up than you'd think. I'd love to see an updated Ranma that actually has a continuous story. It's very much a 'traditional television' show in which every single episode is almost completely disconnected from every other episode. There's very little in terms of actual continuity.

Couple weeks ago I started Log Horizon, I wanted to get into it since my FFXIV guild was watching it when it first came out, enjoying it so far. I'm enjoying it so far although I don't know what to say about it beyond that. 

And wanted to pick something up a lot more recent so finally watching Spy X Family tonight. I'm currently typing this up during the second episode. Enjoying it so far but obviously not far enough in to give much more of an opinion. I'm enjoying the balance of serious and goofy.

20 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I've been trying to add some more anime to my watching list. I've been rewatching Ranma 1/2 through most of the year, think I'm about 2/3s of the way through the whole series. Not much to say there, it's still the same Ranma it's been for 30 years. Some of it surprisingly holds up over the decades. Others...not so much. But more holds up than you'd think. I'd love to see an updated Ranma that actually has a continuous story. It's very much a 'traditional television' show in which every single episode is almost completely disconnected from every other episode. There's very little in terms of actual continuity.

Maybe if the remake takes off?

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe if the remake takes off?

I forgot about that announcement but I also have grown to barely pay attention to news of a Ranma Remake. It's one of those anime you hear about once every 1-2 years and then nothing comes of it. Glad it's actually happening and looks like there's a trailer that came out just a couple weeks ago. Gonna pause Spy X Family and go watch the trailer.

18 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Rebel Ridge had a great start but then it kind of slows down and felt a bit anticlimatic, was still good. I was just expecting more after that start. 

I think that was actually what impressed me about the film because I had the same feeling (but not in a bad way for me).

Spoiler

Our urges want the film to go in one direction (just like I'm sure the main character wanted to but clearly had become a pacifist at some point in his life) but the movie primarily goes in a different direction, not allowing the audience any real indulgence, just like for the main character. That's how I read the subtext of it anyway. I missed his post but also for @thewhyteboar. The point of the film was to pull its punches. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think that was actually what impressed me about the film because I had the same feeling (but not in a bad way for me).

Hide contents

Our urges want the film to go in one direction (just like I'm sure the main character wanted to but clearly had become a pacifist at some point in his life) but the movie primarily goes in a different direction, not allowing the audience any real indulgence, just like for the main character. That's how I read the subtext of it anyway. I missed his post but also for @thewhyteboar. The point of the film was to pull its punches. 

Spoiler

I don’t have a problem with him not killing anyone. I liked how his goal was to disarm and de-escalate. I just was kinda put off by the ending that seemed to say “look, there are a few bad apples, but there are still a lot of good cops too!!”

Still a really good movie though! 

• Hype 1

4 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Still a really good movie though! 

Yeah, I agree, the movie kind of gave cops a semi-good name, and as an ex-public defender first generation Pakistani-American who has never really trusted cops my whole life, I didn't like that aspect either, but I think the movie earns the benefit of the doubt.

• stepee 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Field of Dreams: 7/10

With the passing of James Earl Jones I decided I should watch more of his movies. Not only is the late Jones in this movie but also Ray Liotta. Kevin Costner plays Ray Kinsella, a guy who got to know his dad too late in life. Ray moved away and his father passed away while he was gone and then decided to start a farm in Iowa. Soon after you hear the famous line, "If you build it, he will come," uttered by an uncredited voice (a mystery to this day). Ray takes that as sign to demolish his corn field and build a baseball field there. The deceased Shoeless Joe Jackson appears on the field shortly after and then the film is kind of a quest to figure out how everything is connected. You can mostly infer the whole purpose of the film on Ray's return trip to Iowa. It's a somewhat whimsical lighthearted film with a touch of emotion. My biggest gripe with the movie is it should be called Field of White Dreams since there is no negro league representation. Something felt off just seeing a baseball field of white dudes.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Field of Dreams: 7/10

With the passing of James Earl Jones I decided I should watch more of his movies. Not only is the late Jones in this movie but also Ray Liotta. Kevin Costner plays Ray Kinsella, a guy who got to know his dad too late in life. Ray moved away and his father passed away while he was gone and then decided to start a farm in Iowa. Soon after you hear the famous line, "If you build it, he will come," uttered by an uncredited voice (a mystery to this day). Ray takes that as sign to demolish his corn field and build a baseball field there. The deceased Shoeless Joe Jackson appears on the field shortly after and then the film is kind of a quest to figure out how everything is connected. You can mostly infer the whole purpose of the film on Ray's return trip to Iowa. It's a somewhat whimsical lighthearted film with a touch of emotion. My biggest gripe with the movie is it should be called Field of White Dreams since there is no negro league representation. Something felt off just seeing a baseball field of white dudes.

Burt Lancaster's final movie!

If you want another James Earl Jones movie, watch Matewan. I just watched it. Chris Cooper is a union organizer in the coal fields of West Virginia, James Earl Jones is the leader of black miners brought in to break the strike. The movie is by John Sayles and it is incredible. Gripping and poetic, beautifully shot and just filled with insanely good performances. 

• Thanks 2
  • Halal 2