12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The weekend recap:

-Rebel Moon: Chapter One - Chalice of Blood (2024; dir. Zack Snyder): 5/10

-Rebel Moon: Chapter Two - Curse of Forgiveness (2024; dir. Zack Snyder): 5/10

-Mars Express (2023; dir. Jeremie Perin): 7.5/10

-Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000; dir. Ang Lee): 10/10

-No Country for Old Men (2007; dirs. the Coen Bros.): 9/10

-Genius Party (2007; dirs. various): 6/10

I always keep an eye on your reviews and the one thing I like about you are your scores. You keep them fair and consistent.

So to see a 10/10 for Crouching Tiger catches my eye!

I saw that 24 years ago at release but I litteraly don't remember anything other than the stunts being kinda revolutionary.

I might have to see this again. 

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, Best said:

I always keep an eye on your reviews and the one thing I like about you are your scores. You keep them fair and consistent.

So to see a 10/10 for Crouching Tiger catches my eye!

I saw that 24 years ago at release but I litteraly don't remember anything other than the stunts being kinda revolutionary.

I might have to see this again. 

I appreciate it! I used to write thorough reviews way back when but felt the amount of effort I put into the review vs. people who actually read them wasn't worth it so now I just stick to scores to give some indication. I definitely recommend a Crouching Tiger rewatch (in its native language), it still slaps hard. But yeah if something has a 7/10 that's a light recommend but not a high recommend, 7.5 and higher is always worth considering watching. A 10/10 is a must see. Thanks for checking my recaps out.

• Halal 1

spacer.png

[Blu-Ray]

In Search of the Lost Future: 6/10

Time travel is such a wild thing. If that is the case how did this show somehow manage to make it boring? This show centers around a group of high school students that are part of an Astronomy club. It seems rather ordinary until at the end of the first episode there is a tragic accident. A girl shows up who wasn't there the first time because she's from the future and at the school to change the fate of what happens on that day. But then to get back to that point we have to relive life from when she arrives to the accident which is like half of the series. So more than half of the episodes feel like a rather ordinary high school show. Then you sit there wondering  when the show is going to kick into gear. Then towards the end things get a little interesting but the payoff isn't big enough to overcome the ordinary first half. The ending is a little weird too, but not in a good way.

Also, why did no one think to:

Spoiler

Stop the bus? I know there's an alternate future where Kaori is saved from the bus but gets hit by a car. But there was never an attempt to stop the bus from getting there in the first place. Couldn't Yui have gone to the bus station and slashed the tires of the bus or something? Even a small idea like this could have spiced up the show.

The show is actually based on a visual novel with some raunchy cg illustrations which might explain some of the fan service elements in there, to throw those VN fans a bone. But is something that feels unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Almost like the OVA that is there to just show the girls in an onsen then in bikinis at the beach before the true purpose of the episode is to explain (but not) the existence of the mysterious cube. This was a show with a good idea but didn't deliver them quite well enough.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Kicking & Screaming: 7/10

Kicking & Screaming is the directorial debut movie from Noah Baumbach (Not to be confused with the Will Ferrell movie that came 10 years later) and for a debut movie feels very much like a movie directed by Noah Baumbach. A hard style to describe but I would describe it as a talkative, witty, intellectual type of style. The film is about college graduates that have a somewhat difficult time deciding on how to proceed post college. Some just hang out at home and others decide to just re-enroll while others take jobs they are overqualified for. In other words things haven't changed much in the past 30 years. It's got some humor to it, like that slightly glum but smart kind of way. It's a movie that feels a bit like Clerks. Overall simple but enjoyable.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

The weekend recap:

-Up in the Air (2009; dir. Jason Reitman): 9/10

-Maxxxine (2024; dir. Ti West): 7/10

-Kill (2023; dir. Nikhil Nagesh Bhat): 6.5/10

-A Quiet Place: Part Two (2020; dir. John Krasinski): 7/10

-A Quiet Place: Day One (2024; dir. Michael Sarnoski): 7.5/10

• Halal 2

13 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Cuckoo - OK so yeah. That was definitely a German film experience. Thank you Dan Stevens & Hunter for phenomenal performances in quite an experience. 

Just saw this and enjoyed it. Definitely a weird one, but strangely not the most messed up Hunter Schafer movie of the summer (I think Kinds of Kindness wins that).

As someone who was ALL about "Point of No Return", "La Femme Nikita" on USA, as well as Maggie Q's "Nikita" on CW, I never ever have watched the original Nikita. WOW! Hell of an enjoyment & in some ways, far more interesting & series than I anticipated it being in comparison to the rest of the iterations I've seen. Definitely a solid 7.5/10.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

As someone who was ALL about "Point of No Return", "La Femme Nikita" on USA, as well as Maggie Q's "Nikita" on CW, I never ever have watched the original Nikita. WOW! Hell of an enjoyment & in some ways, far more interesting & series than I anticipated it being in comparison to the rest of the iterations I've seen. Definitely a solid 7.5/10.

1. Half points are for cowards

2. Much too low of a rating for a movie with this song on the soundtrack

spacer.png

[Kanopy]

Road to Salina: 7/10

Road to Salina is a sort of psychological mystery. It recounts the tale of a guy who arrived at an isolated house to get some water but was mistaken for a woman's son. He wants to bail but gradually more people show up and recognize him as Rocky (the name of  the woman's son) and by the time the woman's daughter (or his "sister") shows up he decides to stick around. And if you saw her you'd probably decide to stick around as well. But you can't have too much of a good thing so the guy decides to look into why the original Rocky left and then that's when things take a turn. It's slow paced but captivating and a really nice looking movie despite it's age.

• Thanks 2

The weekend recap: 

-Four Lions (2010; dir. Christopher Morris): 7/10

-The Revenant (2015; dir. Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu): 9/10

-Twister (1996; dir. Jan de Bont): 7/10

-Twisters (2024; dir. Lee Isaac Chung): 6/10

-The Straight Story (1999; dir. David Lynch): 7.5/10

-Alien: Romulus (2024; dir. Fede Alvarez): 7.5/10

-The Hunt (2020; dir. Craig Zobel): 6/10

-The Cockpit (1993; dir. various): 6.5/10

• stepee 1
  • Hype 1

spacer.png

[Prime Video]

Crash Landing: 5/10

Part action movie part crash landing movie (?) this is what I'd call a watchable bad movie. Antonio Sabato Jr. plays Major John Masters a guy we only know from the opening scene as a guy who knows how to land a plane in an emergency. Two months after that incident he is tasked with being the lone security person for a rich man's daughter on a party flight from Chicago to Australia. Luckily for her he was on the plane because every flight attendant there is a hijacker that are attempting to kidnap her. So the first part is sort of action packed, and then after the attempt is thwarted John Masters needs to land the plane. But there is so much time left that it's mostly a lot of back and forth with the army and a bunch of cheesy one liners. Not exactly the most electrifying dialogue, the acting is uneven, and the story won't surprise you but it was entertaining enough to get through to the end.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Crash Landing: 5/10

Part action movie part crash landing movie (?) this is what I'd call a watchable bad movie. Antonio Sabato Jr. plays Major John Masters a guy we only know from the opening scene as a guy who knows how to land a plane in an emergency. Two months after that incident he is tasked with being the lone security person for a rich man's daughter on a party flight from Chicago to Australia. Luckily for her he was on the plane because every flight attendant there is a hijacker that are attempting to kidnap her. So the first part is sort of action packed, and then after the attempt is thwarted John Masters needs to land the plane. But there is so much time left that it's mostly a lot of back and forth with the army and a bunch of cheesy one liners. Not exactly the most electrifying dialogue, the acting is uneven, and the story won't surprise you but it was entertaining enough to get through to the end.

Just out of curiosity, what causes you to pick the movies you do? You pick a lot of random schlocky movies where your time could probably be better spent watching all the good movies you haven't seen. Do you need recommendations or anything like that? There's about a billion better movies than the Cube sequels, Crash Landing, etc. :p 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just out of curiosity, what causes you to pick the movies you do? You pick a lot of random schlocky movies where your time could probably be better spent watching all the good movies you haven't seen. Do you need recommendations or anything like that? There's about a billion better movies than the Cube sequels, Crash Landing, etc. :p 

Like I've mentioned before, I'm going through things that were in my Netflix disc queue. Good or bad I added things and I want to get through the queue or at least for what I can find that is from the queue. There are good movies in there too. Also, I wanted to watch a shorter movie and this happened to be an hour and a half.

• Halal 1

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Like I've mentioned before, I'm going through things that were in my Netflix disc queue. Good or bad I added things and I want to get through the queue or at least for what I can find that is from the queue. There are good movies in there too. Also, I wanted to watch a shorter movie and this happened to be an hour and a half.

There are good hour and a half movies. :p I do understand wanting to complete the disc queue but what made you put such crap in the queue in the first place?

spacer.png

[Viki]

Kill Heel (킬힐): 8/10

Kill Heel is a show about several women and the cutthroat business of a home shopping network. I was initially drawn to the show for Moon Ji-in who I liked on the previous show I had seen, Times. But the cast is filled with many seasoned actresses. It's headlined by Kim Ha-neul (from the hit film My Girlfriend is an Agent) and also stars Lee Hye-young (a woman with 43 years of acting under her belt) and Kim Sung-ryung (another long time actress and former Miss Korea winner from 1988).

The show begins as a series of gamesmanship between these three. Kim Ha-neul plays Woo Hyun a show host that seems to be on the decline finding a way to bounce back. In her way is Gi Mo-ran the vice president of the shopping network. In order for Woo Hyun to get back on the rise the VP tries to work out some quid pro quo deal for Woo Hyun to seduce the CEO of the company in order for him to create a subsidiary (to benefit the VP of course). On the flip side the VP's long time friend and also another show host, Bae Ok-sun, is a person that gets insanely jealous if anyone messes with her husband, and suspects that the VP did just that. So she's out for revenge and helps Woo Hyun to not get pushed over by the VP.

In any case a more accurate title for the show would be "Backstabbing Women" because the show is just a series of escalations as one person tries to sabotage the other. At a certain point it goes beyond the workplace and becomes personal. At the same time as the series progresses the twists keep coming to hook you. It's worth seeing to see how absurd it gets, almost Oldboy levels of plot twists. Certainly an unexpectedly intense show based on the subject matter. I enjoyed the ride.

• Thanks 2

The weekend recap: 

-Patlabor 3: The Movie - WXIII (2001; dir. Fumihiko Takayama): 7/10

-Metropolis (2001; dir. Rintaro): 10/10

-Genius Party Beyond (2008; dirs. various): 6/10

-Mulholland Drive (2001; dir. David Lynch): 8/10

-Inland Empire (2006; dir. David Lynch): 7/10

-The Paper Tigers (2020; dir. Quoc Bao Tran): 8/10

-Curse of the Golden Flower (2006; dir. Yimou Zhang): 8.5/10

-Red Cliff: Parts 1+2 (2008; dir. John Woo): 8.5/10

• Hype 1

spacer.png

[Kanopy]

Violent Cop (その男、凶暴につき): 7/10

Another film written and directed by Beat Takeshi. In fact his directorial debut. While the title is a little redundant the literal translation, "that man is violent," is also on the nose. Takeshi plays a police detective who, as you might of guessed, has some violent tendencies. He basically roughs up suspects to get what he wants. Then if he doesn't get what he wants he keeps going. The movie is basically Takeshi on the trail of a murder suspect that is also involved in drug dealing. It's a bit slow paced and deliberate. It works for the most part but falls apart a bit at at the end. This film predates Infernal Affairs but imagine an ending like that but for no reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

Reagan  - If you want to see over two hours of hero worship and  Reagan being portrayed as an infallible saint, this is your movie.

Hard Pass.

Anyway, I finally got around to watching Log Horizon. I had some friends into it back when it came out but just never got around to it myself. Always meant to and it just kind of sat on the backburner all this time. Put it on earlier today for background noise while I work. I'm on episode 10 and enjoying myself. I like the perspective it has of showing the players trying to figure out a familiar world in a whole new world.

In case anyone is unaware, Log Horizon is yet another 'Oh, no, we got trapped in an MMO world!' Which I'm firmly a .Hack// girly but, like I said, I think this offers an interesting take on the genre where (To me) SAO kinda felt too much like it was copying .Hack for me to ever get into it.

I'm also way behind on my anime if this is any indicator of just how far behind I am.

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Terminator Zero: 8/10

There has been a lot of good and band Terminator media and unfortunately a lot of it lands on the bad side. Instead of continuing to retread the story of the Connors this show brings us a whole new set of characters, in a new setting and basically a whole new story line. The show kind of takes a bunch of different ideas from the various other Terminator movies and combines them, but in a good way. Though it is animated it certainly does capture the feel and dread of Terminator 2. I was a big fan of the new setting because it feels like an alternate reality of a reality few of us got to experience. The story kind of wavers back and forth between action, story and philosophical stuff which may disappoint some who want to see balls to the wall action all the time but I thought it was a good mix. Not that it is a high bar but this is one of the better pieces of Terminator media. The animation is pretty good, Production IG continues to improve their CG. Something like GitSSAC from just 4 years ago didn't quite sell it's look but it has worked out the most part for this show. In any case I enjoyed it, if there are more if there aren't I'm satisfied.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Black Robe is a really interesting movie about the Jesuits in New France 400 years ago. It has a great First Nations cast, mixed in with a bunch of Canadian guys I’ve never heard of. It’s a joint Australia/Canada production. It deals with faith and martyrdom and the arrogance of missionaries, all set in some truly stunning scenery.  It would pair well with Silence of The Last of the Mohicans. @Commissar SFLUFAN I think it’d be right up your alley.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

Black Robe is a really interesting movie about the Jesuits in New France 400 years ago. It has a great First Nations cast, mixed in with a bunch of Canadian guys I’ve never heard of. It’s a joint Australia/Canada production. It deals with faith and martyrdom and the arrogance of missionaries, all set in some truly stunning scenery.  It would pair well with Silence of The Last of the Mohicans. @Commissar SFLUFAN I think it’d be right up your alley.

As a matter of fact, I saw Black Robe many, many years ago and thought quite highly of it!

A Silent Voice: 9/10

There are a lot of movies out there trying to hit similar notes but I think this one accomplished a lot. Specifically, I think very few redemption stories address the need to be prepared to forgive yourself and what a challenge that can be. I really appreciated Naoka's character since she isn't altogether wrong. Through the luck of the seating chart she was put in a role she wasn't willing or able to fill and, being a child, handled her resentment and frustration poorly. Because she was initially placed in an unfair situation having to accommodate Shouko she never really takes responsibility for her actions the way Shoya can, since he was just bullying because he was a shit, and never seeks forgiveness.

Strange Darling: 8/10

I didn't know anything about this movie at all going into it. I liked that the movie managed to feel quite original without doing anything too abstract.

Alien: Romulus: 7/10

They tried to make a good Alien movie and succeeded.

Oddity: 7/10

Was scary.

Sinister: 7/10

Also scary.

I Saw the TV Glow: 5/10

I wanted to like this movie, it was shot brilliantly and had some fantastic scenes and music but it was such a colossal bummer that I can't really recommend it. I understand that the whole thing is about being trans, but I would be especially hesitant to recommend it to my trans friends since the movie is so without a silver lining. I don't usually shy away from challenging and depressing movies, but this was especially bleak. The closest thing to a positive message I can drag from this movie is a warning not to waste your lift without living as you are, but ughhhh, still it's a rough watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

spacer.png

[Kanopy]

A Burning Hot Summer: 6/10

This film opens with one of the main characters, Frederic (an artist), attempting to kill himself by driving into a tree. The rest of the movie is a flashback to the events that lead up to that point. It's not much of a mystery. His wife is Monica Bellucci. She plays an actress, Angele, and Bellucci's whole acting talent is on display here. In an early conversation with his friend Frederic mentions that she is his only reason for living. So of course much of the movie is showing how the relationship deteriorates. The thing is this isn't anything you haven't seen before and done better. It's almost a cliche for the artist to be miserable and indifferent to everything. So it's easy to not really care what happens to this guy, or anyone else for that matter. To add to the confusion we are introduced to some guy, Roland, that looks a lot like Frederic's friend Paul. So when Angele and Roland hook up later in the movie you think to yourself, "is this Paul?" This is not a terrible movie but not a remarkable one either.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1