~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

On 6/1/2024 at 8:20 PM, EternallDarkness said:

Godzilla Minus One glad to finally get to see it again, was beginning to think it was never releasing over here.  Enjoyed it more of the big screen naturally but still a great flick.

Anyone But You...as a huge fan of Much Ado About Nothing I appreciated all the references and it was a cute enough flick but I don't why people flip over Sweeny.

white girl big tits basically 

4 hours ago, johnny said:

white girl big tits basically 

but there are plenty of those. Not seeing any special about her. Of course as far as I know I've only seen her in the above mention flick and Madame Web, nether of which showcased impressive acting skills. 

AIR 4.5/5

I really enjoyed this film. It wasn’t anything really flashy, but a good story with some very interesting people. Viola Davis can’t do anything wrong, as she can be intense without being her Amanda Waller character. The whole story was pretty stunning and can’t believe that it’s actually true. Affleck was pretty fun and seem to enjoy the role, and Damon was just Damon (with a great Barbie like speech) I highly recommend a viewing and I wasn’t for a change.  

On 6/12/2024 at 9:12 PM, EternallDarkness said:

but there are plenty of those. Not seeing any special about her. Of course as far as I know I've only seen her in the above mention flick and Madame Web, nether of which showcased impressive acting skills. 

I agree in the sense that peoples' strange obsession with her because of her body is weird because that alone shouldn't be enough in this day and age, you'd think. She's been in a lot of bad movies, I think her good projects have been mostly in TV in stuff like Everything Sucks, The Handmaid's Tale, Sharp Objects, The White Lotus and Euphoria. It's from those shows, especially Euphoria, where she garnered a lot of acclaim and fame. As for films, she's great in a supporting role in Big Time Adolescence (stars Pete Davidson), and she headlines Downfalls High (indie movie) and Reality (HBO TV movie), both of which she's also really good in. But beyond those TV and movie projects all the rest of her stuff is like Madame Web so far.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:55 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I agree in the sense that peoples' strange obsession with her because of her body is weird because that alone shouldn't be enough in this day and age, you'd think. She's been in a lot of bad movies, I think her good projects have been mostly in TV in stuff like Everything Sucks, The Handmaid's Tale, Sharp Objects, The White Lotus and Euphoria. It's from those shows, especially Euphoria, where she garnered a lot of acclaim and fame. As for films, she's great in a supporting role in Big Time Adolescence (stars Pete Davidson), and she headlines Downfalls High (indie movie) and Reality (HBO TV movie), both of which she's really good in. But beyond those TV and movie projects all the rest of her stuff is like Madame Web. 

Dang, she's been in a bunch of stuff then. And clearly I've seen none of it. :lol:

• Haha 1

spacer.png

[Prime Video]

My Friend Dahmer: 6/10

The Dahmer part of My Friend Dahmer does a lot of heavy lifting for this movie. This feels like a rather ordinary teenage / high school drama. It's about Jeffery Dahmer's high school years where he goes though being bullied, his parents' marriage on the rocks, sexual identity issues, fascination with dead animals, the list goes on. But it feels very ordinary. Sure there are times when he "spazzes out" but it just reminded me of my high school days and there was a kid who did the exact same thing. He didn't grow up to be a serial killer, however. So to me it felt kind of like a waste of time. Sure he's odd but who isn't odd growing up? The "ah ha" moment comes at the end of the movie but it takes a bunch of cliff notes to make it have any impact.

• Thanks 1

The weekend recap:

-Sausage Party (2016; dirs. Conrad Vernon/Greg Tiernan): 6/10

-Do Revenge (2022; dir. Jennifer Kaytin Robinson): 5.5/10

-American Honey (2016; dir. Andrea Arnold): 7.5/10

-Miss Sloane (2016; dir. John Madden); 7/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 7 - Super Android 13 (1992; dir. Daisuke Nishio): 5/10

• True 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

So Amazon Prime has Run, Lola, Run & I hadn't watched it before this past weekend. I am ASHAMED of myself for not having seen this prior to now. WHAT A FUCKING FILM!!!

One of my favorite movies, and I still have the soundtrack on CD.

• Hugs 1

The Flash- 5/10

The opening “big scene” with the hospital and babies really does a disservice to the start of the movie.. the effects arent so much the problem as is the “look” and framing of everything.. The ugly batflevk suit, the weird expression on Batmans face, all capped by a dose of Gal Gadots special brand of saying words.

There is a notable enthusiasm to the ideas and visuals when Keatons Batman is on the screen and a great look to Supergirl, shame her presence is something that had to be spoiled beforehand due to the despair of trailers trying to get fans to the theaters. The “bad” visuals to the end fight dont bother me since it has pretty interesting moments… that being said no special effects could hide how bored Michael Shannon was in this Lol..

No, to me the thing that ultimately legitimately fails this movie is Flash himself.. The skittish personality they gave Barry Allen was “ok” in small doses in Justice League but having it front and center here is annoying. This isnt so much a dig at Ezra Miller as he portrays that “quirk” fine.. its just annoying, so annoying that even the movie acknowledges it. Once Supergirl is rescued he tones it down for the most part but I wasnt invested in Barry/Flash by the time we get to that point..

Shame, but it falls into the same pool as most DC films.. a series of solid moments/sequences that never add up to a coherent whole

spacer.png

[Plex]

Born Into Brothels: 7/10

I think this one sounds more sinister at the beginning but actually offers a bit more hope than how it sounds. It's a documentary that follows Zana Briski as she teaches these kids in Kolkata photography. These are children living in the red light district and are children of prostitutes, not child prostitutes but obviously in dangerous territory of going down that road in the near future. It shows that the kids are smart and talented, more than you would think a kid that scrubbed pots all day instead of going to school would be. So Briski is scrambling to get these kids in a school so they can break the cycle and become more than a future prostitute or criminal. Also, no offense to anyone from India but it seems to be one of the few places that I would be terrified to visit. It seems like it's filthy and has no rules, my hearts go out to these kids. In any case it's an interesting documentary that shows a glimpse of hope though the ending isn't too surprising.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

Kong x Godzilla Fallen Empire

In a vacuum this is a crap movie, in a world where this trash and Minus One were made a essentially the same time it is an abomination. 

2/10

Fallguy

Honestly a really fun summer flick, enjoyed this way more than I was expecting

8/10

The weekend recap: 

-The Favourite (2018; dir. Yorgos Lanthimos): 7.5/10

-The Beekeeper (2024; dir. David Ayer): 5/10

-Project Wolf Hunting (2022; dir. Hongsun Kim): 6.5/10

-Bones and All (2022; dir. Luca Guadagnino): 8/10

-River (2023; dir. Junta Yamaguchi): 7.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 8: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan (1993; dir. Shigeyasu Yamauchi): 6.5/10

• Hype 1

spacer.png

[Netflix]

My Demon: 8/10

I mentioned in a previous post that a lot of these Korean dramas feel like the are becoming homogeneous. I had the same feeling with this show, however, the twist on the story was enough to hold my attention. The show is about a 200 year old "demon" named Jeong Gu-won that has supernatural powers and makes ten year contracts with humans to fulfill their wishes. The catch is after ten years they go to hell. He winds up crossing paths with a CEO of a company, Do Do-hee, and through an accident his powers (or more specifically the thing that allows him to use his powers, a tattoo) are transferred to her. So the demon needs to be around the woman to use the powers and the same time she needs him around her because there's someone out there attempting to murder her. The show has a unique power dynamic. Not only is Do-hee a CEO of a company but her friend / mother figure, Joo Cheon-sook, is the chairwoman of the company as well. So two women in a position of power, the guy is hot, most of the guys on the show are evil, you see what's going on here.

In any case there is a lot to unpack. The story goes deeper, everyone in the chairwoman's family has some desire for her position, bad things go down, etc. It's a romantic show, with some murder mystery things thrown in and some fun times as well. Also, all you people crying about the Acolyte budget should check out this show, amazing sets, great special effects and later on (without spoiling anything) it almost becomes a whole different show, it was very impressive. My only minor gripe is it become a bit preachy towards the end. I suppose when you're dealing with hell and demons and stuff like that it's inevitable but yeah it was just a different kind of preachy.

• Thanks 1

I recently rewatched Chinatown and it just confirmed for me that it is one of the greatest American films of all time.

The despair I feel when I watch this movie is like no other. The despair has dimension and weight and it is as inevitable as the tide. Cross will win, as men like him have always won and always will win.

Dunaway has never been better, nor Nicholson (though now that I think of it I might prefer him in The Last Detail). John Huston is the great American villain of our country.

Incredible. 100/10

I'm currently doing a big John Ford project. Some of this is rewatching, some of it is tracking down ones that are new to me.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

as an action flick it deserves a higher score....not to mention it has Mrs. Huxtable!

My problem was the action wasn't that good. The plot was meandering and boring and very easy to guess all the twists and turns. This felt like a quintessential dad movie like Affleck's The Accountant, which was also boring and bad. I watched it because it did well at the box office and audiences seemed to dig it but I was mostly bored. The fights in Boy Kills World were far better than anything this had to offer. It just felt like another Statham generic action thriller rather than one of his rare good one. Written by Kurt Wimmer and directed by David Ayer I expected a banger but this was incredibly disappointing. Also the plot is monumentally stupid. This felt like a poor version of Statham's Wrath of Man, a much better movie by Guy Ritchie than what this was.

spacer.png

[Prime Video]

Short Term 12: 8/10

Short Term 12 is a film about a group home for troubled youth. I suppose it's like a a foster home but not quite, or a step up from a foster home. In any case many of the kids have some sort of emotional trauma going on and the faculty, at least some of it, also have their share of troubled backgrounds. Grace, played by Brie Larson, is one such person and also happens to be the "ace" of the staff but at the same time has some repressed trauma of her own. But when a young woman named Jayden shows up, Grace is able to closely relate to many of her problems.

This is a very unforgiving look at something that the majority of people perhaps don't generally even think about. It's literally a roller-coaster ride full of many ups and downs. It's well acted and emotional. Not a movie I can personally relate to but I can appreciate the tale that's been told.

• Thanks 1

Batman 1989

It's still my favorite Batman movie of all time. It has a special place for me because of having such a wonderful movie experience when it released. I was 8 yrs old and in awe. 

• Hugs 1

Furiosa

Fury Road is an absolute masterpiece and easily top 5 action movies all time but there is something off about this movie and I can't quite put my finger on it. I think they may have leaned to hard into the weirdness and surrealism which in a Mad Max movie sounds like an absurd compliant. Also the fact that all the factions are actively badguys and not just people doing what they have to survive doesn't help, like I don't care if these people die or not. The first third of this movie is easily the worst part, once the war rig shows up it gets good until a rather anti-climatic ending IMO.

6/10 

ELEMENTAL (Disney+/Atmos) 4.25/5

This one beautiful looking movie with a very An American Tail/Zootopia mashup of a story. Story can be stereotypical but the way they approached everything made this feel like Pixar’s most mature story yet. It’s a beautiful love story and accepting change/immigration. Again the animation in this with especially Ember’s element/clothing puts Pixar them a whole different pedigree with their natural element. Plus the Thomas Newman score is beautiful and wish we got more from him with Pixar movie like Wall-E. the Atmos track has moments of awe but wish I got more life out of the track. Almost tempted to buy a 4K disc to enjoy the picture/audio the way they it should be. Better bitrate on the A/V would make this even more stunning with my setup. 

spacer.png

[Blu-Ray]

The Ambition of Oda Nobuna: 7/10

This show is like an isekai where the main character gets transported back to the Sengoku period but the twist is if all the major generals and leaders were cute girls instead. The guy who gets transported back, Yoshiharu Sagara, is saved on the battlefield by Nobuna and then he becomes her advisor because he has knowledge of the future. So it's actually somewhat history heavy (accurate or not I wouldn't know) with big feudal battles and such. Personally you don't see too much of this sort of thing so it was compelling to me. The character's have a unique look, a little strange but in a good way. The animation is quite good, it is a collaboration between Mad House and Studio Gokumi. The biggest disappointment is that it's only 12 episodes. I would have liked to see a lot more of this. It even kind of ends on a 2nd season teaser.

• Thanks 1

The weekend recap: 

-Borg vs. McEnroe (2017; dir. Janus Metz): 7/10

-Challengers (2024; dir. Luca Guadagnino): 7.5/10

-Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024; dir. George Miller): 7/10

-Mad Max: Fury Road (2015; dir. George Miller): 10/10

-Robot Carnival (1987; dirs. various): 7.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 9 - Bojack Unbound (1993; dir. Yoshihiro Ueda): 6/10

• Shocked 1

spacer.png

[Prime Video]

Taxi to the Dark Side: 8/10

You may or may not remember that whole 9/11 thing where the United States kind of just decided they wanted to torture any brown skin man in the Middle East. Well this is a very grim documentary of just that. The taxi in the title refers to an Afghan peanut farmer named Dilawar who decided to drive a taxi because he wasn't good at he farming. He then wound up in a US prison in Bagram where he was tortured to death. There's plenty of footage and diagrams of prisoners being tortured an humiliated so I would say this movie is not for the faint of heart. Beyond the torture probably the most infuriating part, which you probably already assumed, is that those in charge (George Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld) walked away scot free while, of course, the grunts took all of the blame. Certainly not a pleasant movie to watch but it was engaging and well made.

• Thanks 1

Twister - 4/5

Twister always had a special place in my heart because it's a big, dumb, loud, movie about driving a big red truck into a tornado and that connected with my pre-teen brain, but also because I had a personal experience with a tornado around the same time in my life. The nostalgia of the film has lived on in my brain, but even that memory was of a film that was really dumb but kind of fun. I hadn't actually seen it since the 90s, but it's on Max now and with the sequel coming out I had to revisit it.

I think Twister is actually kind of great. It is still dumb, but it's simple. The stakes are always clear, the romance kind of works, the action is loud and exciting. It's a film full of character buoyed by some increasingly faces that are certainly more recognizable now like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Alan Ruck, and Todd Field. Even the effects largely hold up pretty well. There's an opening shot of a satellite that looks like it's from a real time cutscene on a PS2, but the actual storm effects still work.

It's not a great movie, but it's everything a summer popcorn movie should be, and sometimes that's exactly what I'm craving.

• Halal 3

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Twister - 4/5

Twister always had a special place in my heart because it's a big, dumb, loud, movie about driving a big red truck into a tornado and that connected with my pre-teen brain, but also because I had a personal experience with a tornado around the same time in my life. The nostalgia of the film has lived on in my brain, but even that memory was of a film that was really dumb but kind of fun. I hadn't actually seen it since the 90s, but it's on Max now and with the sequel coming out I had to revisit it.

I think Twister is actually kind of great. It is still dumb, but it's simple. The stakes are always clear, the romance kind of works, the action is loud and exciting. It's a film full of character buoyed by some increasingly faces that are certainly more recognizable now like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Alan Ruck, and Todd Field. Even the effects largely hold up pretty well. There's an opening shot of a satellite that looks like it's from a real time cutscene on a PS2, but the actual storm effects still work.

It's not a great movie, but it's everything a summer popcorn movie should be, and sometimes that's exactly what I'm craving.

Twister is a great movie. It's also incredibly funny, with Hoffman saying things like: "the suck zone" of a tornado in the most ridiculous way imaginable. Movie is tops.

I was able due to the long holiday to get more movies in than usual, including finishing my marathon of Dragon Ball Z movies/OVA's (a reminder that Dragon Ball stuff is rated on its own scale/curve). The weekend recap:

-Creed I (2015; dir. Ryan Coogler): 7.5/10

-Creed II (2018; dir. Steven Caple Jr.): 7/10

-Creed III (2023; dir. Michael B. Jordan): 6.5/10

-They Cloned Tyrone (2023; dir. Juel Taylor): 7.5/10

-Poor Things (2023; dir. Yorgos Lanthimos): 7.5/10

-Neo Tokyo (1987; dirs. various): 7/10

-The Boy and the Heron (2023; dir. Hayao Miyazaki): 5.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 10 - Broly: The Second Coming (1994; dir. Shigeyasu Yamauchi): 4/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 11 - Bio-Broly (1994; dir. Yoshihiro Ueda): 3.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 12 - Fusion Reborn (1995; dir. Shigeyasu Yamauchi): 7.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Movie 13 - Wrath of the Dragon (1995; dir. Mitsuo Hashimoto): 7.5/10

-Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku (1990; dir. Mitsuo Hashimoto): 8/10

-Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks (1993; dir. Yoshihiro Ueda): 8.5/10

• stepee 1

I saw Twister in the theater because I've always had a fascination with tornadoes. I was about 14 years old at it's release and I really enjoyed it. I even bought it when it released to stores. 

spacer.png

[Netflix]

Sanctuary: 7/10

If you had said you could make a compelling show about sumo wrestling I wouldn't believe you, but somehow they did it. The show follows a guy named, Kiyoshi Oze (and later given his ring name Enno) who basically only began sumo wrestling for the money. He winds up breaking a lot of "traditions" of the sport and winds up pissing off a lot of the old heads. He's basically the equivalent of a heel in WWE or something, but a likable one. At the same time the show gives the impression it is important to break away from some of these traditions because a lot of Japanese conventions are kind of old and shitty. Like with a female reporter, Asuka Kunishima, that had been demoted to covering sumo wrestling after speaking her mind to a politician. But she's also a modern female, she sticks up for herself, she's not a doormat and she's educated. So she is breaking conventions as well. So we follow Enno's troubled life and he rises through the ranks. The sumo action is pretty good, even if you don't know a thing about it. It even has real sumo wrestlers in it (how could it not?) like Hiroki Sumi who was also in John Wick 4.

The show loses me a bit in the end though because it seems like the message has changed and it kind of becomes more of a sumo version of Rocky which feels counter to what the show was initially going for. That being said I still enjoyed my time with it.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

spacer.png

[Prime Video]

Cube: 7/10

Cube is another one of those movies I had heard positive things about but had never gotten around to seeing it. All 3 (4?) are on Amazon so I'll probably be checking them all out eventually. It's a horrorish, more psychological to me, film about people that get trapped in a giant cube. Each of them has a purpose for being there and the cube has a bunch of rooms some of them traps that they need to navigate through to escape. But being trapped in a cube with nothing to eat or drink with a bunch of strangers is bound to catch up with people and paranoia sets in. I think it's a novel idea, still to this day. The biggest claim to fame of this movie is it was shot on a low budget. Less than $400k Canadian that is like ten thousand US dollars right? I would say it's like Saw adjacent but less about torture. The acting is a bit hammy, probably the weakest part of the movie. It's not that it's bad but just a bit too over the top. Overall solid and enjoyable.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1