Your Five Most Anticipated Games of 2019

skillzdadirecta

As 2018 comes to a close (man this year flew by) I'm curious what games folks are looking forward to the most next year. Next year will probably see the end of the current gen of consoles and traditionally, we've often seen some of the best games come out at the end of a console generation. So... based on what we know so far, what are your top five most eagerly anticipated games of 2019 that have been announced? I'll start off with mine, in no particular order.

CYBERPUNK 2077

DAYZ GONE

ANTHEM

GHOSTS OF TSUSHIMA

SEKIRO

RAGE 2

That's six, I know :p

I didn’t realize KH3 has a confirmed date for January 29th, so I’ll add that too. But yeah, like cnut said there is just not enough confirmation yet of games for next year to really make a good list yet.

My top 5 could be Ghosts, Dreams, Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Animal Crossing. But who knows if those really come out next year.

Edit: Forgot Control for potential top 5. Metro Exodus and DMC5 can round out Anthem, RE2, KH3 for confirmed ones for me. 

Also LIS2 but it’s a cross year game so idk where to place it.

1. Psychonauts 2
2. Metroid Prime 4
3. Ori & the Will of the Wisps
4. Life is Strange 2 Complete

5. Days Gone

Honorable Mentions: Resident Evil 2, Wargroove, Final Fantasy VII remake, Biomutant, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Indivisible

There's plenty mores I'd like to be excited for, but want to beat earlier games in the series first.

We know the release dates for a fair amount of games next year... in fact of the games in my O.T. the only one without a release date is Cyberpunk 2077 and I'm willing to put money that it comes out later next year. In fact, I think most of the games we've heard of will come out next year because the following year, 2020, will see the release of new consoles and no one wants their AAA current gen game to be lost in the next gen shuffle. Yeah there's plenty of other games I could have named, Last of Us 2, Control, The Next Doom game etc. but I don't know their release dates so... I didn't. 

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We know the release dates for a fair amount of games next year... in fact of the games in my O.T. the only one without a release date is Cyberpunk 2077 and I'm willing to put money that it comes out later next year. In fact, I think most of the games we've heard of will come out next year because the following year, 2020, will see the release of new consoles and no one wants their AAA current gen game to be lost in the next gen shuffle. Yeah there's plenty of other games I could have named, Last of Us 2, Control, The Next Doom game etc. but I don't know their release dates so... I didn't. 

Yeah but for that list you had to put in Days Gone :P

Does Ghosts have a release date? I was pretty sure it doesn’t.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm actually looking forward to Days Gone... it would have been on my list regardless.

Well, I’m glad someone has some optimism for it. I’ll get it because Sony exclusives rarely do wrong these days and I like Bend’s previous games, but it’s hard to be impressed with what I’ve seen so far idk.

1. Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers

2. Kingdom Hearts 3

3. Death Stranding

4. Anthem

5. Ghosts Of Tsushima 

Honorable Mentions: Resident Evil 2, Sekiro, Metro: Exodus, Biomutant, The Division 2 and Shenmue 3. I would put Final Fantasy VII Remake as #3 bibutt i don't believe it will come out in 2019 or 2020.

1. Last of Us 2

2. Anthem

3. Rage 2

4. Ghosts of Tsushima

5.  Doom Eternal

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I really think Cyberpunk 2077 is a 2020 game -- and it's likely a next-gen game for console (possibly cross-gen).

I suspect that the vast majority of non-first party 2020 holiday games will be cross-gen.

1. Sekiro

2. Resident Evil 2

3. Devil May Cry 5

4. Metroid Prime 4 ('19?) 

5. Nioh 2 ('19?)

Resi 2 looks so damn good. 

Ghost of Tsushima would be on there but I have no faith in its combat system unfortunately. I think it looks fucking amazing and all but I'd need really engaging core gameplay to invest in another open world game at this point. I increasingly care less about quantity vs. quality and style vs. substance. 

I'm looking forward to playing Crackdown 3.  

I don't think it is going to be great, but after all the delays and buildup it will be interesting to finally play whatever it is they put out there.  

Others: 

Kingdom hearts 3

Anthem

Metro Exodus

Gears 5

Ori and the will of the wisps

Cyberpunk is #1 by a mile if it hits 2019

Then,

Doom Eternal

Rage 2

KH3

Ori

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

But this is mainly off the top of my head. Others might vie for control.

Oh and TLoU Part 2 if it hits 2019 would also be quite high, but that seems unclear.

10 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

I'm still playing 2015-2017 releases.

Hell, I just got around to Horizon Zero Dawn, lol.

Anyway, RE2 for sure.  About freaking time my favorite in the franchise got some love.  ANY over yet another release of REMake or RE4.

RE 4 already came out again recently. They need RE 3 to be released again.

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

1. Last of Us 2

2. Anthem

3. Rage 2

4. Ghosts of Tsushima

5.  Doom Eternal

I really think Cyberpunk 2077 is a 2020 game -- and it's likely a next-gen game for console (possibly cross-gen).

I suspect that the vast majority of non-first party 2020 holiday games will be cross-gen.

CD Projekt Red already said Cyberpunk is a current gen game   Maybe they will have a version for next gen consoles as well, but it will definitely be on the current crop of consoles.

Cyberpunk 2077 is targeting current gen consoles

Cyberpunk 2077 will be on current gen consoles

CD Projekt Red has yet to announce a formal Cyberpunk 2077 release date. However, there was a recent leak which suggested that it could be sometime in 2019; earlier than some previous estimates. If CD Projekt Red isn’t planning on waiting for the next-generation of consoles, a 2019 release could be all the more likely.

Other sources have reported similar estimates.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

CD Projekt Red already said Cyberpunk is a current gen game   Maybe they will have a version for next gen consoles as well, but it will definitely be on the current crop of consoles.

Cyberpunk 2077 is targeting current gen consoles

Cyberpunk 2077 will be on current gen consoles

Other sources have reported similar estimates.

They said they are "targeting current gen consoles" -- you would only use that language if you weren't  sure.  Given CD Projekt Red's history of delays (see Witcher 3), I can't seen it coming in 2019.

Anthem is a the top of my "actually releasing in 2019" list.

I'm pretty sure Stormland will be out next year, and if the locomotion doesn't make me physically ill, I expect good things.

If Ghosts Of Tsushima, Cyberpunk,  and The Last of Us Part 2 are actually coming out in 2019, they're on my list.