~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Convicted Felon/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I don't know what Anthony Hopkins's political views are, but I wish he would send a message to Trump telling him to shut the hell up.

Ah but he's the "late, great Hannibal Lecter" so unfortunately he won't be able to do that.

9 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I don't know what Anthony Hopkins's political views are, but I wish he would send a message to Trump telling him to shut the hell up.

This is the best I could find from 2018 so at the very least he doesn't care about him

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Alcoholism and ambition fuelled the actor’s rise to the top. He talks masculinity, fame – and why he’s finally ready to play Lear

We talk politics. He doesn’t care about Trump; he doesn’t vote. He takes a widescreen approach to politics, because focusing on the detail makes him too unhappy. “I don’t vote because I don’t trust anyone. We’ve never got it right, human beings. We are all a mess, and we’re very early in our evolution. Look back throughout history: you have the 20th century, the murder of 100 million people, barely 80 years ago. The 1914-18 war, the civil war in America, slaughter, bloodshed… I don’t know if there’s a design in it, but it is extraordinary to look at it and get a perspective. I think, ‘Well, if it’s the end, there’s nothing we can do about it, and it’ll blow over, whatever happens.’”

He remembers talking to his father on the phone during the Cuban missile crisis (“and I was a raving Marxist then”) and his father remarking that the bomb would be dropped on London, so Hopkins would be all right, “because the bomb will drop on you, so you won’t know much about it. But in Wales, we’ll suffer the fallout.” His dad also once said to him, about Hitler and the second world war, “Six years later, he was dead in a bunker. So much for the Third Reich”, which makes me laugh.

Now he avoids news and politics, for his peace of mind. “In America, they’re obsessed with healthy food,” he says. “They tell you, if you eat junk food, you get fat and you die. Well, television is run by money and corporate power and sponsorship. It’s junk food for the brain. Toxic.”

We talk a bit about the #MeToo movement. Hopkins says, about Harvey Weinstein, “I did know about the person you are referring to, about his sexual stuff. I know he is a rude man and a tyrant. But I avoided him, I didn’t want anything to do with people like that. Bullies.” And actually, despite his desire to live and let live, Hopkins often calls bullies out

So maybe on that last bit he will call him out one of these days. :p

Well well well, no wonder Trump doesn’t want this movie to come out:

WWW.WRAL.COM

Sunday, June 16, 2024 -- In 2017, when Donald Trump was frustrated Attorney General Jeff Sessions wasn't protecting him from the investigation into his Russia ties, he...

The movie shows him raping his first wife.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Coming after Philadelphia again after they were one of the main reasons you lost the last election. First bad things happen here, now we're one of the most egregious places anywhere in the world. The more he hates Philly, the more power he gives us. He does know Philly is the birthplace of the country in many ways, right?

giphy.webp

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Coming after Philadelphia again after they were one of the main reasons you lost the last election. First bad things happen here, now we're one of the most egregious places anywhere in the world. The more he hates Philly, the more power he gives us. He does know Philly is the birthplace of the country in many ways, right?

giphy.webp

I've been to Philly many times and only have fond memories of it. Every city has it's issues. BTW, Angelo's Pizzeria has the best cheesesteak and pizza in all of Philadelphia. Ever have that?

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, Best said:

I've been to Philly many times and only have fond memories of it. Every city has it's issues. BTW, Angelo's Pizzeria has the best cheesesteak and pizza in all of Philadelphia. Ever have that?

I have! It is fantastic. My favorite cheesesteak place in the city is Jim's Steaks though there are a couple of really good cheesesteak places, Angelo's being among them. Being from Philly, Philly used to be a shithole for the longest time but since 2010 the city has done a 180 and has become a great place to live and work in. It's a huge foodie city now, the city is the cleanest it's ever been downtown (obviously certain areas are still rough, like in any city) and there's more to do than there ever has been. A lot of reclamation projects finished which really helped to spruce up the city. It's started getting so nice that my NYC friends who have always shit on Philly started trying to adopt it as the "sixth borough" of NYC (being a Philadelphian I have immediately rejected this notion). :p So it's funny to me that now Trump is hating on Philly when it's not even true that it's a shitty place anymore. What's worse for him is that Philadelphians are very, very proud of their city so galvanizing them like this only hurts him. 

• True 1

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I have! It is fantastic. My favorite cheesesteak place in the city is Jim's Steaks though there are a couple of really good cheesesteak places, Angelo's being among them. Being from Philly, Philly used to be a shithole for the longest time but since 2010 the city has done a 180 and has become a great place to live and work in. It's a huge foodie city now, the city is the cleanest it's ever been downtown (obviously certain areas are still rough, like in any city) and there's more to do than there ever has been. A lot of reclamation projects finished which really helped to spruce up the city. It's started getting so nice that my NYC friends who have always shit on Philly started trying to adopt it as the "sixth borough" of NYC (being a Philadelphia I have immediately rejected this notion). :p So it's funny to me that now Trump is hating on Philly when it's not even true that it's a shitty place anymore. What's worse for him is that Philadelphians are very, very proud of their city so galvanizing them like this only hurts him. 

lmao, I was checking if the cheesesteak place Trump showed up at was the racist one and it's not but while looking I found this:

WWW.PHILLYMAG.COM

Last week, Eater Philly ran a photo of rapper Busta Rhymes hanging out at Geno’s Steaks in South Philadelphia. That was all well and good. […]

• Haha 1

I was in Philly this weekend and found it to be quite lovely. We ended up getting cheesesteaks at a place called Sonny's, but that was by convenience as opposed to being super intentional.

South Jersey, on the other hand, is trash and barely worth the trip for the dispensary across the border.

• True 1

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

lmao, I was checking if the cheesesteak place Trump showed up at was the racist one and it's not but while looking I found this:

WWW.PHILLYMAG.COM

Last week, Eater Philly ran a photo of rapper Busta Rhymes hanging out at Geno’s Steaks in South Philadelphia. That was all well and good. […]

Making a note to skip that place when I go to Philly

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Geno’s and Pat’s are both overrated trash anyway. 

They're just tourist traps. BUT, I wouldn't label them as "trash". They are decent cheesesteak's but the bottom of the barrel in Philly. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Calling them decent is a stretch, especially compared to Jim’s and Angelo’s.

That's why I said they are the bottom of the barrel in Philly. :p

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Right wingers thinking American cities are like the Hunger Games is completely fucking wild to me, 24 hour news poisoning the electorate against domestic cities is fucking psychotic.

I think the box art for Streets of Rage is still a great encapsulation of every American city:

MV5BYjg2MWI1MjYtYzZlMy00MDEzLWFlZjItYWY2

• True 1

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think the box art for Streets of Rage is still a great encapsulation of every American city:

MV5BYjg2MWI1MjYtYzZlMy00MDEzLWFlZjItYWY2

That’s a good representation of my commute is like 

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Geno’s and Pat’s are both overrated trash anyway. 

1 hour ago, Siebzehn said:

So I've heard. Might have gone for the kitschiness but I'll pass now

1 hour ago, Best said:

They're just tourist traps. BUT, I wouldn't label them as "trash". They are decent cheesesteak's but the bottom of the barrel in Philly. 

I think it's worth it for the kitschiness personally, but I agree with Best that they're decent, not like absolute bottom of the barrel. They are overrated though and Philly people will work overtime to correct this, me included. :p They are tourist traps but if you are an actual tourist I think you should experience Geno's/Pat's at least once. But then you have to make up for it by then going to a real cheesesteak place like Jim's or Angelo's. You've also got Cosmo's Deli, Cleavers, Campo's, etc. Saad's Halal Restaurant is worth considering for a badass halal cheesesteak option as well.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

What about black on black crime, I ask innocently...

Just asking questions, as one does.