~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Convicted Felon/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Screenshot_20240609_185735_NYTimes.jpg

So now the counter-argument to this is that it was taken out of context becuase... at the end he predicted the media would clip what he said?

But......he still said the thing. The truth masked as humor.

29 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Excuse me while I go scream into a pillow that this......man.....still has the support of half the nation for the position of the president of the US instead of being in a care facility specializing in dementia patients.

It really does show a lack of critical thinking. Sure if you're 100% certain you will die electricity will probably be the way to go. But if you're unsure you're going to die, take your chances with the shark.

Now give me an MIT degree please!

5 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Excuse me while I go scream into a pillow that this......man.....still has the support of half the nation for the position of the president of the US instead of being in a care facility specializing in dementia patients.

First that Trump verbal diarrhea was maddening. Second, I am similarly frustrated by the amount of support Donald Trump has as you are. I don't know if this will make you feel better (it will definitely show you how stupid the Electoral College is) but it's not really half the nation. America's population is approx. 333 million people currently. Of that, only approx. 240 million people can legally vote (obviously anyone under 18 can't, if the person isn't a US citizen, or if they have a felony that bars them from being able to vote). 

And this is the sad part, of the 240 million people who can vote, approx. 155 million actually turned out to vote in 2020 (I'm rounding with these numbers just a tad). That's a 62% turnout which is pretty much the highest it's ever been. What's sad is we're just leaving 85 million votes on the table, as if people don't understand just how important (and how hard fought through history) the right to vote is. I don't know if it's 85 million Democratic votes or Republican votes or a mixture but that's just a bunch of people not even bothering to exercise their right to vote. Turnout was approx. 55% in 2016 for comparison. 

Of the 155 million people who did vote, 74.2 million voted for Trump (46.8% of the total popular vote) and 81.2 million voted for Biden (51.3% of the total popular vote). So out of a country of 333 million where 240 million can actually vote, 74 million voted for Trump. That's just one third of the voting population. It's less than a fourth of the total population of the country. So it's less "half" the nation and more like around one fourth of the nation. Just one third of the voting population (remember, 85 million people aren't even voting that can vote).

So yes, while it was a close election in 2020 (and will be again no doubt) it's not half the nation, which I take some solace in. It even being almost a fourth of the nation is incredibly disheartening enough anyway. This should also indicate how unrepresentative the Electoral College is because how can less than one fourth of the population of a country almost win an election, just being short tens of thousands of votes in just a few particular states? That's some bullshit math in terms of equal representation, one vote one person, etc. But yeah, not sure that helps but important to try and remember when we talk about democratic republics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

First that Trump verbal diarrhea was maddening. Second, I am similarly frustrated by the amount of support Donald Trump has as you are. I don't know if this will make you feel better (it will definitely show you how stupid the Electoral College is) but it's not really half the nation. America's population is approx. 333 million people currently. Of that, only approx. 240 million people can legally vote (obviously anyone under 18 can't, if the person isn't a US citizen, or they have a felony that bars them from being able to vote). 

Now write 4 paragraphs about my electricity vs shark statement!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

First that Trump verbal diarrhea was maddening. Second, I am similarly frustrated by the amount of support Donald Trump has as you are. I don't know if this will make you feel better (it will definitely show you how stupid the Electoral College is) but it's not really half the nation. America's population is approx. 333 million people currently. Of that, only approx. 240 million people can legally vote (obviously anyone under 18 can't, if the person isn't a US citizen, or they have a felony that bars them from being able to vote). 

And this is the sad part, of the 240 million people who can vote, approx. 155 million actually turned out to vote in 2020 (I'm rounding with these numbers just a tad). That's a 62% turnout which is pretty much the highest it's ever been. What's sad is we're just leaving 85 million votes on the table, as if people don't understand just how important (and how hard fought through history) the right to vote is. I don't know if it's 85 million Democratic votes or Republican votes or a mixture but that's just a bunch of people not even bothering to exercise their right to vote. Turnout was approx. 55% in 2016 for comparison. 

Of the 155 million people who did vote, 74.2 million voted for Trump (46.8% of the total popular vote) and 81.2 million voted for Biden (51.3% of the total popular vote). So out of a country of 333 million where 240 million can actually vote, 74 million voted for Trump. That's just one third of the voting population. It's less than a fourth of the total population of the country. So it's less "half" the nation and more like around one fourth of the nation. Just one third of the voting population (remember, 85 million people aren't even voting).

So yes, while it was a close election in 2020 (and will be again no doubt) it's not half the nation, which I take some solace in. It even being almost a fourth of the nation is incredibly disheartening enough anyway. This should also indicate how unrepresentative the Electoral College is because how can less than one fourth of the population of a country almost win an election, just being short tens of thousands of votes in just a few particular states? That's some bullshit math in terms of equal representation, one vote one person, etc. But yeah, not sure that helps but important to try and remember when we talk democratic republics. 

There are a lot of people who completely tune out of political news between elections who won't start paying attention again until after Labor Day. Those people are going to be very surprised at just how much more blatantly demented Trump is even just compared to November 2022.

• Thanks 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

There are a lot of people who completely tune out of political news between elections who won't start paying attention again until after Labor Day. Those people are going to be very surprised at just how much more blatantly demented Trump is even just compared to November 2022.

I agree - but that almost one fourth who voted for him are all in. I do think kids who were under age of 18 in 2016 and 2020 who can now vote probably all almost universally hate him (except those "young Trumpers") which should only help I'd hope for this upcoming election. But almost one fourth of the country is fucked up.

• True 1

3 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

spacer.png

This is why people love Trump he just tells it like it is 

I liked this press release (pdf link) from the Legal Aid Society calling out Trump's special accommodations in his parole interview. 

(NEW YORK, NY) – The Legal Aid Society, The Bronx Defenders, and Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem issued the following statement in response to reports that former President Donald Trump is scheduled for a pre-sentencing interview on Monday that includes special arrangements – including a virtual interview and his attorney being allowed to attend the interview – that are not typically afforded to low-income defendants: “All people convicted of crimes should be allowed counsel in their probation interview, not just billionaires. This is just another example of our two-tiered system of justice. “Pre-sentencing interviews with probation officers influence sentencing, and public defenders are deprived of joining their clients for these meetings. The option of joining these interviews virtually is typically not extended to the people we represent either. “To ensure integrity and fairness, we call on the NYC Department of Probation to ensure that all New Yorkers, regardless of income, status, or class, receive the same pre-sentencing opportunities.”

• Halal 7

13 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

spacer.png

IMG-8960.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

You guys laugh at how insane he sounds but meanwhile the other candidate is doing shit like this: 

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

The rule could go into effect sometime next year, CFPB Director Rohit Chopra told ABC News in an exclusive interview ahead of the policy announcement.

Ill listen to ramblings about sharks if it keeps the wokeness away 

• Like 1
  • Hype 2

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

You guys laugh at how insane he sounds but meanwhile the other candidate is doing shit like this: 

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

The rule could go into effect sometime next year, CFPB Director Rohit Chopra told ABC News in an exclusive interview ahead of the policy announcement.

Oh wow, that's fantastic news!

• True 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Wow basically the same person

• True 2

I thought the way mining for Bitcoin worked is that the more it is mined, the more difficult it is to mine the remaining amount?  So you can't ever mine all of the theoretical total, and it becomes more and more energy intensive to mine anything left.

It's like trying to approach the speed of light.  Infinite energy input will never actually get you to c. 

28 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I thought the way mining for Bitcoin worked is that the more it is mined, the more difficult it is to mine the remaining amount?  So you can't ever mine all of the theoretical total, and it becomes more and more energy intensive to mine anything left.

It's like trying to approach the speed of light.  Infinite energy input will never actually get you to c. 

Spoken as though SOMEONE’s trying to mine more bitcoin himself, very sus.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:
WWW.CNBC.COM

Trump also talked about using tariffs to leverage negotiating power over bad actors, a source told CNBC.

Krugman said that his initial napkin math indicates that the average tariff rate would have to be 133%.

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This is a serious candidate

His followers will just hear the "eliminate income tax part" and ignore the part that will cost them more than income tax. Remember how happy they were to see an extra $7 in their paycheck?

40 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Jesus, if people thought inflation was bad before...

Practically all of Trump's economic policies would be very inflationary.

WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

Voters believe Trump would handle the economy better than Biden. Economists think differently.