Scientists finally confirm the Milky Way has a supermassive black hole.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/10/scientists-confirm-the-milky-way-has-a-supermassive-black-hole

Researchers used the European Southern Observatory’s sensitive GRAVITY instrument on the Very Large Telescope (VLT) to observe infrared radiation flares coming from the accretion disc around Sagittarius A* — the massive object at the center of our galaxy. Scientists think that most galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their center, but they’d never before had the data and observations to prove it.

I find it simultaneously extremely humbling that it took until 2018 to prove that this exists in our own cosmic backyard, while also finding it incredibly inspiring. 

Space, you so crazy. :daydream:

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

I always just assumed that all spiral-arm galaxies have a black hole at their galactic center.

Catch up to me, astrophysics!

Scientists think that most galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their center, but they’d never before had the data and observations to prove it. 

8 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Scientists think that most galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their center, but they’d never before had the data and observations to prove it. 

I did read that, however, it just seemed kinda "obvious" that this would be most clearly observable in a spiral-arm galaxy.  

16 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

wat

There is a radio telescope collaboration that ongoing that’s trying to produce an image of the black hole in the center of our galaxy. Because it’s so far away they need a telescope with the area of earth. That’s why they are using several radio telescopes spread across the globe. 

• Thanks 1