Just Beat Resident Evil 7 :spoilers:

The def star

I just beat Resident Evil and apparently I got the bad ending. My biggest complaint is that the ending is very cliché. Well as far as your choices go. 

I chose to save Zoe. Here are my reasons why. First she is the one helping you through out the whole time to get out of the house and find the serum. She is completely innocent as she is one of the ones that isn't trying to kill you. Where as Mia has been lying to you the whole time not telling you she is a secret agent. She is the reason why your in the mess. And also she chopped your mother fucken hand off! She has tried killing you multiple times! Fuck I'm not gonna save you. I'm gonna save the person that is helping me and trying to find a cure. 

So it's safe to say I don't agree that saving Zoe should be considered the bad ending. It's very typical that you would save your wife and consider that the good ending but I am a man of logic. I chose what was the right thing to do than to "follow my heart" decision. 

Well that's my short rant. Game was fun and I recommend it. This is from someone who doesn't really play SP games. What did you guys think of the endings in RE7?

I actually really enjoyed the bulk of RE7 overall but thought the last 1/4 or so was complete dog shit, including the ending and plot "twist"/revelation.

Granted, the series isn't known for great stories and I don't really care that much in general, but with it being relatively light on combat and some other aspects, the whole last section didn't sit well with me at all.

I got the good ending and I was fine with that. Zoe probably should have been the one to be saved, but this is RE and it's not puppies and rainbows. 

I really enjoyed the game, I played it last year right after it came out. I'm a longtime fan of the series and despite the first person view, it still really felt like a RE game. 

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I actually made a very quick and easy decision to save Mia with no regrets. The thing is, we have a relationship, whereas Zoe is helping me but I don't know her as well. Plus, I'm there trying to save Mia.

She tried to kill you many times over through out the game. If someone tried to kill me once in real life I would cut that person out of my life regardless if she was my wife or not :p

Zoe on the other hand tried getting me out of that God damn house!

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

She tried to kill you many times over through out the game. If someone tried to kill me once in real life I would cut that person out of my life regardless if she was my wife or not :p

Zoe on the other hand tried getting me out of that God damn house!

She wasn't really trying to kill me, though. That wasn't her.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

She wasn't really trying to kill me, though. That wasn't her.

I get that that wasn't her but she did try to kill you. I'm just using real world logic to make my decisions. But I think it's pretty dumb that saving the innocent isn't the good ending. Technically Mia is the bad guy in the game. Everything that caused the family to get infected is because of her and her ship. She works for Umbrella. 

6 minutes ago, The def star said:

I get that that wasn't her but she did try to kill you. I'm just using real world logic to make my decisions.

No she didn't and no you're not. You can't say "I know it wasn't her but she was trying to kill me!" One statement directly contradicts the other. Mia was never trying to harm you in any way, shape or form. She was, however, being controlled. What was controlling her was trying to kill you. The story makes it abundantly clear that most of the characters are not in control of their actions anyway. Zoe IS trying to help you, which I think was supposed to make picking her the actual "easy" choice, because you ARE going to think "well Mia's my character's wife, but as the one playing the game all I know her as is a liar trying to kill me, whereas Zoe is helpful."

I think it's fine, even though I vaguely remember being annoyed at is as well, I believe I picked Zoe because I figured picking your wife would be the bad choice because it was "obvious," so trying to game the system got me gamed.

In any case, I don't think it's that picking one or the other is the "wrong" choice, it doesn't really seem like that's what they were trying to convey. It's more like, the series of events for picking Mia just happen to lead to the "good" ending, rather than it being a reward for picking a smart or logical choice.

Also the ending isn't tremendously different either way, is it?

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

No she didn't and no you're not. You can't say "I know it wasn't her but she was trying to kill me!" One statement directly contradicts the other. Mia was never trying to harm you in any way, shape or form. She was, however, being controlled. What was controlling her was trying to kill you. The story makes it abundantly clear that most of the characters are not in control of their actions anyway. Zoe IS trying to help you, which I think was supposed to make picking her the actual "easy" choice, because you ARE going to think "well Mia's my character's wife, but as the one playing the game all I know her as is a liar trying to kill me, whereas Zoe is helpful."

I think it's fine, even though I vaguely remember being annoyed at is as well, I believe I picked Zoe because I figured picking your wife would be the bad choice because it was "obvious," so trying to game the system got me gamed.

In any case, I don't think it's that picking one or the other is the "wrong" choice, it doesn't really seem like that's what they were trying to convey. It's more like, the series of events for picking Mia just happen to lead to the "good" ending, rather than it being a reward for picking a smart or logical choice.

Minor chords right before the credit is the biggest difference. :p 

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

No I get that she was being controlled but if it wasnt for Zoe you wouldn't have been able to get out of the house and thus saving anyone let alone Mia.

The endings are the same in that you get out in the helicopter scene but the dialoge is different and if you save Mia she is with you on the helicopter. 

For me I'm just nitpicking at the choices. Zoe is the one that helps you get the cure in the first place and if it wasn't for her you would be dead most likely. So I the end your on a pick your wife over the person that's been helping you the whole time? I guess it's a morality dilemma. I would choose what's right over emotions I suppose in that scenario.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm sure you'd be totally rational and wouldn't let your emotions drivenypu if you'd been through the game in real life :p

If I was being chased by a wife that just cut my hand off and was trying to kill me I'm pretty sure I be willing to get as far and away from that house as possible. Also it's been 3 years since you have last seen her. She is totally a different person from the last time you seen her :p

I really enjoyed it and found it great fun to play with my partner, where she would watch and hide whilst I played.  It is a shame that it couldn't find a more interesting enemy variety and like everyone has mentioned, parts of the game are just poor.  I would be happy however with a similar style for RE8, with some expansions.  More the point, thinking about the game makes me think of the RE2make and how good that will hopefully be.