Will fall 2024 be a reprieve from the weak summer anime season?

While I did enjoy some anime this summer like Mayonaka Punch, it is no exaggeration to say the summer has been a bit of a disappointment. The only fresh feeling anime this summer was VTuber Legend...and that's about it. Let's see what we've got coming up this fall...

We have to start with Dragon Ball Daima. Toriyama wanted his own take on kid Goku before the end and this is what we get. His last original Dragon Ball story before his untimely death...

While I am very much looking forward to Daima, there's another anime that I've been looking forward to for years and I think has a very good chance of being the anime of the year. Dandadan. One of the few anime that will triplecast on Crunchyroll, Netflix, AND Hulu; by Science SARU, the studio behind The Night is Short Walk on Girl, Devilman Crybaby, and Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. To say that I'm hyped for this one would be an understatement...

Max, not looking to be outdone, have their own potential anime of the year coming up with the long awaited Uzumaki, which starts today actually. This anime is seriously gorgeous...

It's not just all new anime to get excited over. We've also got some new seasons or returning series to look forward to.

We've got yet another season of Blue Exorcist...

The final season of Beastars...

A Ranma 1/2 remake...

Some new Gundam...

More of the Kenshin remake...

More of Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War...

There are also a bunch of new anime to look forward to, because this season doesn't look packed enough as it is...

Shonen Jump's most popular romcom is finally getting its own anime series with Blue Box...

It's not the only romcom to look forward to. There's also How I Attended an All-Guy's Mixer, which surprised me by not being a gay romance, just a lot of women in drag...

Tying the Knot with an Amamagi Sister is your latest harem of sisters looking to marry Mr Self Insert...

Or, maybe Alaska sounds so awful you fake a marriage to avoid moving there in 365 Days to the Wedding...

Surprisingly, we don't have a bunch of isekai anime this season. Know what we do have a ton of? Nobles!

There's vampire nobility in Delico's Nursery...

A second season of isekai nobility in As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World...

Demonic nobility in Demon Lord 2099...

Dragon nobility in The Do-Over Damsel Conquers the Dragon Emperor...

Villainous nobles in I'll Become a Villainess Who Goes Down in History...

Commoners pretending to be a noble in Nina the Starry Bride...

...and I guess Lara Croft sort of comes from nobility...even if this isn't technically an anime, but Netflix is treating it like an anime, so I'll allow it...I guess...

...and I think that's enough for today. Yeah, this is quite a busy season and I can easily see myself watching many of these this fall. I'm definitely watching DB Daima, Dandadan, Uzumaki, Ranma 1/2, Gundam, and Kenshin. Let's see what else I pick up or drop as the season goes along.

Negative Positive Angler is another one I have an eye on. 

After a doctor gives Tsunehiro two years to live and debt collectors come knocking, he falls from a bridge; Hana and her crew spot Tsunehiro and pull him to safety.

• stepee 1

A series I didn't mention and that I'm really looking forward to even though it's not getting released anywhere outside of Japan is Murder Mystery of the Dead. The ONLY reason I'm looking forward to it is because the script is being written by the author of There's No Freaking Way I'll be Your Lover! Unless. I absolutely adore that manga and it's rumored to be getting an anime in the next year or two. It's the first harem romcom manga I've thoroughly enjoyed in years. I have no idea what Murder Mystery of the Dead will be like, but I'm willing to give it a shot for her writing.

I'm guessing it's getting skipped over because it's an adaptation of a game that has no release outside of Japan with not so great CG animation...

... that's a lot more forgivable than everyone skipping spring's Girls Band Cry, which had phenomenal CG and was legitimately great.

If anyone is interested; Blue Box will be running, I believe, for 25 episodes straight. That is not at all common for anime not named One Piece these days.

WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Series debuts on October 3 // The staff for the television anime of Kōji Miura's Blue Box (Ao no Hako) manga announced at a Sunday event for the anime that...

• Hype 1

First episode of Dandadan is a ride. Science Saru really knows motion. I didn't realize this was getting a simuldub, and a pretty good one at that. Dubbed and subbed episodes are up on Netflix and Crunchyroll. 

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, Slug said:

Dandandandan isn't a whole season at once? Boo. 

Edit: That was weird as fuck. 

I believe it's 12 episodes this season and then coming back for summer '25 with another 12 episodes. The band is still going strong, but a great reception of this anime could see is going for a lot longer. 

Also, you haven't seen weird until you've seen these two idiots fighting Mozart and Bach. I love this manga so much.

On 10/3/2024 at 11:41 PM, Ghost_MH said:

First episode of Dandadan is a ride. Science Saru really knows motion. I didn't realize this was getting a simuldub, and a pretty good one at that. Dubbed and subbed episodes are up on Netflix and Crunchyroll. 

I watch very little anime, but this one caught my attention, and I'm all in after episode one.

• Hype 2

Found my random anime of the season that wasn't at all on my radar to jump on. Crunchyroll chose a great clip from the first episode to convince me...

Romcom about a couple yakuza kids that find themselves in an arranged marriage. He's crazy. She's normal, but decides to out-crazy him. Hijinks. One episode in and I'm sold. I hope the rest of the season is as quality as the first episode.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...