Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area

Update:

I just got most loose objects from the backyard inside. Gotta get the front now, and my friend has offered to help after he finishes up at his house.

We are in Evac Level C, and after calling 311, we've been told we're under a mandatory evacuation. Even though we're far from the coast (it's a 30 minute drive to the beach), they're taking precautions for people on our level.

This has naturally freaked me out. I have GAD anyway, but this hurricane has put it to the test. My fiancée spoke with her supervisor and, as someone at the local sheriff's office, she cannot leave from our home county or county where she works since first responders are needed on Thursday. She's told me if I want to head to the east coast to my brother or parents, I can, but she can't leave.

Due to wind shear/dry air, I fully expect our house can withstand those winds easily, as strong as they are. The evac order, however, is what got me nervous because you're supposed to run from the water, hide from the wind. I want her and our cats with me; I want us together during this whole thing.

She's very understanding to my GAD because she has mental health issues from previous work. I'm being wrecked inside because I want to leave, but I don't want to leave her and lose communication. We could try a shelter, but she has probably processed some folks who seek shelter (no joke) and wouldn't feel comfortable.

I'm at a loss. I know she's given me her blessing, but I'd be worried sick about her. She does have a friend in Evac Level D, but I don't know how boarded up she is. Maybe we can do that? 

• Hugs 20

50 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Update:

I just got most loose objects from the backyard inside. Gotta get the front now, and my friend has offered to help after he finishes up at his house.

We are in Evac Level C, and after calling 311, we've been told we're under a mandatory evacuation. Even though we're far from the coast (it's a 30 minute drive to the beach), they're taking precautions for people on our level.

This has naturally freaked me out. I have GAD anyway, but this hurricane has put it to the test. My fiancée spoke with her supervisor and, as someone at the local sheriff's office, she cannot leave from our home county or county where she works since first responders are needed on Thursday. She's told me if I want to head to the east coast to my brother or parents, I can, but she can't leave.

Due to wind shear/dry air, I fully expect our house can withstand those winds easily, as strong as they are. The evac order, however, is what got me nervous because you're supposed to run from the water, hide from the wind. I want her and our cats with me; I want us together during this whole thing.

She's very understanding to my GAD because she has mental health issues from previous work. I'm being wrecked inside because I want to leave, but I don't want to leave her and lose communication. We could try a shelter, but she has probably processed some folks who seek shelter (no joke) and wouldn't feel comfortable.

I'm at a loss. I know she's given me her blessing, but I'd be worried sick about her. She does have a friend in Evac Level D, but I don't know how boarded up she is. Maybe we can do that? 

I am very sorry you are struggling with this. I know everything will ultimately be fine, but it is the moments in between where uncertainty lives and our brains are free to imagine all of the worst outcomes. Praying for calm for you, my dear friend ❤️

• stepee 1

57 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Update:

Are there any large parking garages near your fiancé’s office? Could always grab a bunch of food and water and hole up on an upper floor away from the perimeter. As long as you stay in your vehicle until the wind dies down you’d be pretty well protected.

Just spoke with her on the phone.

She's considering going somewhere else. I can tell this is weighing on her now, and I HATE to hear her sound less certain. She asked me, "Do you really think the water would get HERE?" And honestly, I never thought it would as we're far from the coast and storm surge has never been an issue. But the numbers we're seeing for the upcoming storm surge are wild, so I told her, look, I'm really not sure. I'm just worried since we're in an evacuation level now that's been asked to leave. It's bonkers that, best of my knowledge, no other county is evacuating level C besides Manatee and Sarasota, including Hillsborough County (home of Tampa).

I'm still trying to keep people updated online as I never stopped giving updates, but my capacity for stress has maxed out. And I hate that I'm causing stress for her, too. Just trying to be as safe as possible. I envy one of my friends who hauled ass to fucking Iowa to be with his mom.

• Hugs 5

She does not want to leave the area and says she can't, but she keeps telling me I can go to the other side of the state, no problem.

I just.... I'm really gonna miss her and I'm going to feel horrible, even with "permission." She's told me she's not judging me, but I'm still worried for her.

• Hugs 6

My 72 year old parents finally gave in last night and decided to leave Englewood (Charlotte County). They hit the road a couple of years ago, making their way to the East Coast in Fort Lauderdale. My Dad was being stubborn, buts finally relented. The water levels are pretty crazy. Their condo will probably be fine, but if someone has an emergency, there might be no power no support etc... Glad they're getting out of dodge, you just never know.

• stepee 1

37 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

She does not want to leave the area and says she can't, but she keeps telling me I can go to the other side of the state, no problem.

I just.... I'm really gonna miss her and I'm going to feel horrible, even with "permission." She's told me she's not judging me, but I'm still worried for her.

I’m sorry bud. Maybe a lil “does this rag smell like chloroform to you” and then she wakes up in Des Moines.

• Sicko 1

If Milton doesn’t kill my brother in law, my wife might. Hes so fucking stupid. 

First of all he’s at an Airbnb (!?!) in far western Osceola county just north of I-4 less than ~1000 feet from some small no name lake. The area is about 15 miles from an area with this warning from the NWS:

Prepare for life-threatening wind having possible devastating impacts
across southwest Lake County. Potential impacts in this area
include:
    - Structural damage to sturdy buildings, some with complete roof
      and wall failures. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Damage
      greatly accentuated by large airborne projectiles. Locations
      may be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
    - Numerous large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences and
      roadway signs blown over.
    - Many roads impassable from large debris, and more within urban
      or heavily wooded places. Many bridges, causeways, and access
      routes impassable.
    - Widespread power and communications outages.

And I know 15 miles is a long way away but also, it isn’t for a storm this big. Not even counting the rain and flooding forecasts for the area. So naturally my wife and the rest of her family are freaking out that he’s just not taking this seriously enough. He has some food, and water, and cash, and the house is a new development and allegedly has storm shutters (are they closed? Who knows! but it is new enough that google maps hasn’t gone through the area so I can’t confirm.) so hopefully it is safe enough. Very stressful and we’re worried about his dumb ass. 

Also just found out that my wife’s college roommate’s mother in law is in Ft Meyers and isn’t evacuating despite being in a mandatory evac zone as of right now. 🙃 I told her to just tell them to put their SSN and DOB on their torso and leave it at that. 

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Just before Helene struck, CNN actually posted that as one of its "tips" for those who weren't going to evacuate.

It just blows my mind that this woman who has at least one grandchild and another one the way at least won’t take the most basic and easy steps to being able to see them in the future and survive. 

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It just blows my mind that this woman who has at least one grandchild and another one the way at least won’t take the most basic and easy steps to being able to see them in the future and survive. 

Would their progeny even deign to see someone who got cucked by the weather?

I texted an ex-colleague who lives in Tampa, and she's is staying because she is 'not in a flood zone'; she also said it should also be a Cat 2 or 3 by landfall. That all seems incredibly suspect to me (because I'm pretty sure she lives in the city proper), but whatever!

1700 Eastern update from the NHC:

At 400 PM CDT (2100 UTC), the center of Hurricane Milton was located near latitude 22.7 North, longitude 87.5 West.  Milton wobbled earlier today, but the longer-term motion is toward the east-northeast near 9 mph (15 km/h).  A turn toward the northeast with an increase in forward speed is expected to begin tonight and continue through early Thursday.  A turn toward the east-northeast and east is expected on Thursday and Friday.  On the forecast track, the center of Milton will move across the eastern Gulf of Mexico through Wednesday, make landfall along the west central coast of Florida Wednesday night, and move off the east coast of Florida over the Atlantic Ocean on Thursday.

Satellite images indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 165 mph (270 km/h) with higher gusts.  Milton is a category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Fluctuations in intensity are likely while Milton moves across the eastern Gulf of Mexico, but Milton is expected to be a dangerous major hurricane when it reaches the west central coast of Florida Wednesday night.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 30 miles (45 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140 miles
(220 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 918 mb (27.11 inches)

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

looks like the trajectory moved down a bit? my mom is in ocala and google shows it’s not in the hurricanes path anymore 

I've never used this google hurricane tracker thing before so I might be using it wrong, but going through each day the hurricane has been projected, the path hasn't really budged an inch.

WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones accused Vice President Kamala Harris of having the ability to control hurricanes through so-called "weather weapons."Jones kicked off his...

Kamala should sue bullshit like this when he is claiming he has proof. What fucking ghouls 

• Guillotine 1