Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Probably move stuff to higher places in case of flooding?

Good idea.

*sigh*

As much grief as we give the state, I've loved living here despite the hot summers. But we are reaching the point where we don't know how many hurricanes we have left in the tank. Plus, we're getting married in March and hope the place we've picked makes it through this.

:pray:

This could very well be a bad but not earth-shattering storm for our area, but we just don't know yet, and when we do, it'll be too late to leave. Gonna do a lot of planning with her today.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Good idea.

*sigh*

As much grief as we give the state, I've loved living here despite the hot summers. But we are reaching the point where we don't know how many hurricanes we have left in the tank. Plus, we're getting married in March and hope the place we've picked makes it through this.

:pray:

This could very well be a bad but not earth-shattering storm for our area, but we just don't know yet, and when we do, it'll be too late to leave. Gonna do a lot of planning with her today.

However many hurricanes you feel you can handle, there will be so many more beyond that financial, emotional line. If you have any options, take them and get out of that place! 

17 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The reality hasn’t caught up with the people moving there in droves, unfortunately. Florida is the second fastest growing state post-pandemic 

My wife has a big family. 5 people on her side all moved to Florida over the last 2 years. They all love it but I couldn’t  deal with this stress every year.

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

My wife has a big family. 5 people on her side all moved to Florida over the last 2 years. They all love it but I couldn’t  deal with this stress every year.

I really don't get why people move there. It's warm...sure...but fuck most everything about that place.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I really don't get why people move there. It's warm...sure...but fuck most everything about that place.

It's warm, not as expensive as California, and has water. That's really about it. I think people just really underestimate how dangerous and deadly these hurricanes can be.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's warm, not as expensive as California, and has water. That's really about it. I think people just really underestimate how dangerous and deadly these hurricanes can be.

Being warm is overrated. Warm = bugs. 

If all the crazy wants to move to Florida though, let em. They'll need to find somewhere else to go once they realize they can't get financing on any of the houses. 

• Halal 1

1700 Update from the NHC:

Satellite data indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 180 mph (285 km/h) with higher gusts.  Milton is a  potentially catastrophic category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson  Hurricane Wind Scale.  While fluctuations in intensity are  expected, Milton is forecast to remain an extremely dangerous hurricane through landfall in Florida.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 30 miles (45 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 mile (130 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 905 mb (26.73 inches).

I'm...speechless.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 3

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

People need to get political ads and the general word out about how Project 2025, among other things, would put the National Weather Service and NOAA on the chopping block.

I've been saying that for ages and it's practically political malpractice that the Harris campaign has seemingly ignored that part of the plan.

That's something "tangible" that's an actual part of people's lives rather than some of the more "nebulous" aspects of Project 2025.

Recon’s latest VDM confirms an eyewall replacement cycle is well underway w/ Hurricane #Milton as they noted concentric eyewalls of 4 and 26 miles in diameter respectively.

We may see #Milton weaken slightly here as this eyewall replacement cycle takes place. 

Unfortunately, #Milton will likely come out the other side of this eyewall replacement cycle a much bigger storm. 

Also, #Milton will have a chance to grow even stronger later tomorrow into tomorrow night as it passes over the loop current & interacts with a jet stream over the SE US

From the FOX 35 Orlando meteorologist:

This is nothing short of astronomical. I am at a loss for words to meteorologically describe you the storms small eye and intensity. 897mb pressure with 180 MPH max sustained winds and gusts 200+ MPH. This is now the 4th strongest hurricane ever recorded by pressure on this side of the world. The eye is TINY at nearly 3.8 miles wide. This hurricane is nearing the mathematical limit of what Earth's atmosphere over this ocean water can produce.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 7
  • Hugs 1