Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area
10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@Dre801 @SaysWho? - please make all necessary precautions and evacuate as soon as you can!

All our preparation is complete. We are not in evacuation level that has been mandated, and it’s best to leave the road open for them. My fiancée might even have to stay at work, and we have five cats, so we were not planning to go anywhere.

3 hours ago, Brian said:
WWW.YAHOO.COM

(Bloomberg) -- House Speaker Mike Johnson said Hurricane Helene’s devastation doesn’t require immediate action by Congress to boost federal disaster relief funding because it’ll...

Fuck these ghouls 

They'll do the same with Milton, I'm sure.  In a sane world, that should cost them the election in those states impacted, but...sadly not.

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Does it appear that Orlando is a safe evac spot for Someone from Tampa? It’s what my BIL is planning on doing

No, Orlando doesn't appear to be safe at all as the storm is projected to cut directly across the central portion of the state, effectively  moving along I-4 from Tampa to Orlando.

My best advice would be take I-75 north to Ocala/Gainesville.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Does it appear that Orlando is a safe evac spot for Someone from Tampa? It’s what my BIL is planning on doing

Not really. This could very well go through Big Bend/Tampa/Pasco and over Orlando directly. Plus, you do not want to be in I-4 or I-75 traffic in that area.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

In general, I'd stay put in Cape Coral. But that's assuming you're not in an evacuation level mandated to leave. I hope that person isn't planning to stay in that area if that's where they live.

They're 14 ft above MSL and kinda on the "inland" part of Cape Coral (insofar as that maze of canals is inland). The barrier islands are what my buddy is banking on blunting the worst of it. 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Just got a notification that Evac Level C should evacuate. We're in C. Now my fiancee and I are trying to figure out what to do because she's not allowed to leave since she does forensic work and needs to stay put.

I'm no expert, but if I were given an evacuation notification on the one hand, and "wasn't allowed to leave" on the other, I'd be fuckin' GONE, bro.

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Your lives matter more than getting reprimanded by a shitty boss.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm no expert, but if I were given an evacuation notification on the one hand, and "wasn't allowed to leave" on the other, I'd be fuckin' GONE, bro.

What I mean is that she does forensics for the sheriff's office, so she can't not be out of town. We can try to go to a shelter in another evac level, but if I hightailed it to my parents in South Florida, she can't come with me. That's what makes figuring this out difficult.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

What I mean is that she does forensics for the sheriff's office, so she can't not be out of town. We can try to go to a shelter in another evac level, but if I hightailed it to my parents in South Florida, she can't come with me. That's what makes figuring this out difficult.

Tell her

bye bye bye justin timberlake gif GIF

And gtfo

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

You forgot hurricanes

Honestly, yeah, if a hurricane caused a death, she'd be needed.

Found out our evac level is voluntary, not mandatory, but.... yeah. I'm waiting to talk with my boss. We're closing up early and he's hauling ass to Georgia. 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Really living the American nightmare, aren't you guys?

Life first, job... some number distantly after that.

You're not kidding....

I appreciate all the advice. Believe me: I want to drive to my parents' house in Palm Beach today, but I know I'd be abandoning her. We're just going to have to talk and see what happens.