Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area

49 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I read somewhere that “mountain culture” is actually making it difficult to deliver aid to certain communities because they’re so insular, to the point where aid personnel are getting guns drawn on them just for walking through peoples yards.

I haven't heard about guns coming out, but this is a very real concern. 

This is one of the first disasters I can remember where most of what I've seen about it online is misinformation. AI images of weeping children, bullshit about aid and FEMA, hand wringing that money sent to Ukraine compromised the financial response to this, etc. Twitter is especially bad because of course it is, but it's still surprising to see just how fucking pervasive this is. I've seen some posts from local Republican officials lamenting this and telling people not to buy into the misinformation but I confess that I haven't looked into it to see whether or not those posts are ALSO misinformation. I know sane, intelligent people who live and work in NC that have bought into the bullshit. They're not chuds, they're not fools... they just have loved ones who are displaced and they're worried, angry, and frustrated.

Zuckerberg should be tried in the Hague for what Facebook did to print and local news media, and Ted Turner should be walked into sea at gunpoint. I just don't know that it's possible to get out of this, I feel like the event horizon has been crossed.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've seen some posts from local Republican officials lamenting and telling people not to buy into the misinformation but I confess that I haven't looked into it to see whether or not those posts are ALSO misinformation.

Those statements from local Republican officials pleading with people to not fall for misinformation are very much real.

WWW.CNN.COM

Local officials and relief agencies working in communities impacted by Hurricane Helene are urging residents to be careful

• stepee 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Those statements from local Republican officials pleading with people to not fall for misinformation are very much real.

WWW.CNN.COM

Local officials and relief agencies working in communities impacted by Hurricane Helene are urging residents to be careful

That's cold comfort. Sigh.

I saw that Helene also shut down some quartz mines that produce the quartz used in semiconductors, fiber optic cables, etc. but those are expected to be back up shortly, since they had minimal damage. 

As these natural disasters become more frequent and there's geopolitical uncertainty, diversification of supply chains is going to be more and more crucial. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I saw that Helene also shut down some quartz mines that produce the quartz used in semiconductors, fiber optic cables, etc. but those are expected to be back up shortly, since they had minimal damage. 

As these natural disasters become more frequent and there's geopolitical uncertainty, diversification of supply chains is going to be more and more crucial. 

Nah we gotta designate a single spot on Earth as the "super duper most safest" and move 100% of the production of everything there.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Ricofoley said:
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Tropical Storm Milton formed on Saturday as forecasters expect the storm to quickly strengthen into a hurricane and race toward Florida.

Newly formed Milton could be a Cat 3 straight into Tampa, which doesn't seem great

spacer.png

• True 2

I live in Tampa Bay(Clearwater).  Helene didn't really affect me much, I never even lost power here. I don't live on the water and I'm  far enough away to not really get hit with storm surge and it doesn't flood here, but this will likely be worse for me.  When I felt the affects of Helene, she was about 100 miles offshore.   Milton will make landfall here if it stays on this path.

• stepee 1

12 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I live in Tampa Bay(Clearwater).  Helene didn't really affect me much, I never even lost power here. I don't live on the water and I'm  far enough away to not really get hit with storm surge and it doesn't flood here, but this will likely be worse for me.  When I felt the affects of Helene, she was about 100 miles offshore.   Milton will make landfall here if it stays on this path.

The latest tracks indicate that it's shifted a bit to the south, taking its landfall closer to Sarasota.

17 minutes ago, Brian said:
WWW.YAHOO.COM

(Bloomberg) -- House Speaker Mike Johnson said Hurricane Helene’s devastation doesn’t require immediate action by Congress to boost federal disaster relief funding because it’ll...

Fuck these ghouls 

They're literally political, social, and economic arsonists.