Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area

24 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

How the fuck is anyone surprised by a federal disaster response when we heard about Flint not having clean water for like 8 years straight?

And Flint is just a symptom. Thousands of municipalities across the country still have lead water lines.

oh, and fuck Rick Snyder. 

• Halal 2

My friend in Hendersonville doesn't seem to have posted on Facebook about anything going on. Which isn't abnormal, she hasn't regularly posted to Facebook in 10 years but is still obviously active and does occasionally post a life update every 2-4 years. Hoping she's doing well. Henderson is only like half an hour South of Asheville but the quick aerial shots I saw of Hendersonville is looking a LOT better than Asheville (Although not without it's own massive flooding). 

I don't want to message her how she's doing just because I'm sure she has bigger shit on her plate right now than answering a concerned friend across the country. Including keeping up with messages with much closer friends and family in the area. Messenger said she was active an hour ago so I'm going to take that as a good sign that at least she's not a part of the bad statistic.

10 hours ago, TheShader said:

My friend in Hendersonville doesn't seem to have posted on Facebook about anything going on. Which isn't abnormal, she hasn't regularly posted to Facebook in 10 years but is still obviously active and does occasionally post a life update every 2-4 years. Hoping she's doing well. Henderson is only like half an hour South of Asheville but the quick aerial shots I saw of Hendersonville is looking a LOT better than Asheville (Although not without it's own massive flooding). 

I don't want to message her how she's doing just because I'm sure she has bigger shit on her plate right now than answering a concerned friend across the country. Including keeping up with messages with much closer friends and family in the area. Messenger said she was active an hour ago so I'm going to take that as a good sign that at least she's not a part of the bad statistic.

I’d message them as it lets them know they are in your thoughts and you want to make sure they’re ok. They might not have time to respond but when they do they’ll be happy you reached out.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

12 hours ago, TheShader said:

Missing people can be reported to 211 and County EOC will do a welfare check. 

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

Hurricane Helene made landfall on Thursday, one day after Gaetz voted against additional FEMA funding.

What garbage people. Not surprising though since Trump did same bullshit. 

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

The state asked for $929 million, but it's getting $6.1 million.

3 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Missing people can be reported to 211 and County EOC will do a welfare check. 

As far as I'm aware she's not missing and she has much closer friends and family than me that would be aware much sooner than I would that she's missing. And, like I said, Facebook shows her as active Ocassionally, she just doesn't post anymore. But i may still message her like @chakoosuggested. It's a good point about extending across well wishes. 

43 minutes ago, TheShader said:

As far as I'm aware she's not missing and she has much closer friends and family than me that would be aware much sooner than I would that she's missing. And, like I said, Facebook shows her as active Ocassionally, she just doesn't post anymore. But i may still message her like @chakoosuggested. It's a good point about extending across well wishes. 

It’d be good to check up on her to let her know more people are thinking about her and her wellbeing. They’ve deployed mobile cell towers and starlink access points, so cell service is starting to come back and I-26 is open to the SC border. But parts of that region in the mountains are still blocked off because the roads leading up to those houses don’t exist anymore. 

And if anyone wants to donate, there are several public and private places accepting donations like diapers, non-perishable food and water. One of my neighbors is flying his small plane every day to bring supplies to Boone and they’re accepting donations to pay for jet fuel as well. 

WWW.MSN.COM

- 470+ roads still closed in NC, number is growing as more of the area is accessed. 

- 6 weeks for municipal water to be restored.

- Buncombe County Schools Closed indefinitely 

- UNC Asheville classes canceled until at least October 28th 

- Buncombe County has 11,000 requests for welfare checks. 

- National Guard yesterday has finally been able to get into all 28 impacted counties and has a semi truck is going to deliver food daily to each county. 

- Mules are being used to move supplies over the mountain. 

- 28 shelters open. 

This is a two hour drive away from Asheville:

spacer.png

• Sad 1

Finally 

WWW.DEFENSE.GOV

Pentagon Press Secretary Air Force Gen. Pat Ryder issued a statement on DOD Support for Hurricane Helene response efforts.

At the request of FEMA, the Secretary of Defense has authorized the movement of up to 1,000 active-duty Soldiers to support the delivery of food, water, and other critical aid "over the last mile to the point of need" to communities impacted by Hurricane Helene.

These soldiers are part of an Infantry Battalion Task Force, formed from the XVIII Airborne Corps, to include members of the 82nd Airborne and other units stationed at Fort Liberty, NC. The task force includes a Forward Support Company with the necessary support structures (fuel, water, mechanics, etc.) to support FEMA in stabilizing critical lifelines and essential services for communities in North Carolina.

To streamline effectiveness and provide unity of command, the Secretary of Defense authorized and the Commander of U.S. Northern Command, Gen. Gregory Guillot, appointed Brig. Gen. Charles Morrison of the North Carolina Army National Guard as the Dual Status Commander for North Carolina. A dual-status commander is an officer who is allowed by law to command active duty and National Guard troops and serve in federal and state statuses simultaneously.

The death toll is near 200 (95 in NC alone) with the chances of finding more survivors in the areas impacted by flooding fading.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

At least 190 people are known to have died as a result of the carnage and destruction wrought by Hurricane Helene since it made landfall in Florida a week ago.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to All Waffle Houses in Tallahassee closing as Helene approaches, update (10/03): death toll nears 200
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

About 2% of residences in the hardest-hit counties were covered. In North Carolina, that number was 0.7%.

By the time many homeowners realize they need flood insurance, it’s too late. And for tens of thousands in North Carolina and across the Southeast, it’s too late.

Only about 2% of residences in the 100 counties hit hardest by Hurricane Helene-related power outages were protected by flood insurance, according to an NBC News analysis of Census Bureau data, PowerOutage.us data and National Flood Insurance Program policy data that the insurance company Neptune Flood collected. 

While many coastal counties have larger shares of residences with flood insurance, coverage in inland counties is rare. Less than 1% of the North Carolina counties hardest hit by Helene were covered — and in South Carolina, it was even less, 0.3%.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to All Waffle Houses in Tallahassee closing as Helene approaches, update (10/03): death toll passes 200
57 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

About 2% of residences in the hardest-hit counties were covered. In North Carolina, that number was 0.7%.

I am assuming that in a disaster such as this (which is usually what happens), the government will step in and insure these losses through some sort of catastrophic damage program? 

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am assuming that in a disaster such as this (which is usually what happens), the government will step in and insure these losses through some sort of catastrophic damage program? 

The flood insurance program is managed by FEMA and delivered by a network of 50 private insurance companies.

I don't see any government support for the losses beyond the usual disaster relief.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

It is worth noting that while these people don’t have flood insurance, homeowners policies in places that don’t have huge flood risk don’t necessarily have flood exclusions, so there are some who will be covered without participating in the NFIP.

Related: NFIP plans are insanely expensive, even with the subsidies! We live in one of the mandatory NFIP zones in Texas if you have an FHA backed mortgage. Often NFIP coverage runs in the neighborhood of 5% of the FMV of the dwelling annually in the zone I live in.

• Halal 1

51 minutes ago, TheBladeRoden said:

Do you suppose that exchange where Biden went "Do you need anymore help?" and Cooper went "No we don't, thank you tho" happened, or was it a fibbin?

Cooper is a really good emergency management Governor. I think part of the issue is these western counties have little no experience with major disasters, especially compared to those in eastern NC. The other issue I'm starting to gather is that help is getting into the major population centers like Asheville, but then are struggling to get out beyond that. 4 counties are in really bad shape and can't even establish LZs to land helicopters, air dropping into people's yards is still the best way to distribute supplies. Pack mules are also being used to move supplies over the mountains. One person I talk to today said the "our beautiful NC Mountain forests became a weapon of mass destruction". ALL the critical infrastructure is gone. 

Mountain culture is starting to become an issue as things go lord of the flies out there, a lot of people not trusting large groups of volunteers walking up to their home offering people, These are very insulated communities to begin with. 

The only thing I can think of would be to establish forward refueling points and bring in a ton of helicopters. But helicopters can only evacuate and sustain life. They've got to get the roads open, even then people are still going to have to hike at from their homes. 

I work in land surveying and I can tell you all from first hand experience that the FEMA flood map is pretty much worthless at this point, even in Michigan, and everyone in the construction industry knows it. And yet developers continue to insist on building shit right up to the fucking flood line. All over my state people are building McMansions next to rivers, ditches, depressions, swamps and wetlands, wherever they can get the fucking permitting

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

The close calls resulted from a spike in aircraft that included planes, helicopters and drones arriving in western North Carolina in the wake of Hurricane Helene.

There were approximately 30 mid-air close calls over North Carolina on Saturday, Sept. 28, as relief efforts ramped up in response to Hurricane Helene, a federal official briefed on the matter confirmed to CBS News Friday.

The close calls resulted from a spike in aircraft that included planes, helicopters and drones arriving in western North Carolina in the wake of Hurricane Helene. The federal official said the close calls did not involve commercial airline traffic.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the North Carolina Department of Transportation, say air traffic over Western North Carolina has increased by 300% due to relief efforts since the storm cleared.