Update (10/07): Hurricane Milton upgraded to Category 5, projected track indicates impact to Tampa Bay area

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The death toll from Helene now stands at 43.

I've covered weather a long time, and even in my new career, I'm still giving weather updates on my professional social media.

And yet, it still is eerie to me that, right before a major hurricane hits, some people who are currently alive will no longer be the next day. And that some folks won't be the day after since there are many deaths which come after a storm, such as driving into flooded waters or heat-related deaths due to a lack of air conditioning.

7 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Really glad I talked my parents out of moving to Western NC after living on the beach in Eastern NC, especially given they wanted to be away from hurricane risk. 

Without looking up numbers, I think this was excellent advice because while eastern NC might get a direct hit from a storm, you're likely to get tropical rains from a weakened hurricane that moves up the Gulf if you live in western NC, and I feel that happens more than a direct hit to the east coast of NC.

I don't mind the rain impacts from storms based on where I live, but some areas in rural western NC are probably more susceptible to that.

A post from ResetERA to describe how dire the situation in western NC well and truly is:

as someone who just escaped Asheville with a newborn it's a complete fucking failure of government and id appreciate not making light of it. I have not heard from several of my friends still but am hoping it's because of cell phone disruption

There is no food. There is no gas. There is no water. There is no power. There is no running water. Until yesterday there was no cell service. No one from the city or state has been in my neighborhood yet. We had to clear fallen trees off neighbors houses and roadways to make it possible for folks to get off the mountain.

Tunnel road not only has no power but there is a downed telephone poll in front of the tunnel so it wasn't safely navigable. The is a major artery and a lot of folks way to downtown where there are supposedly services and by that I mean dillbar is selling food for cash only and the moxy hotel has WiFi.

I'm literally getting in my car loading it up with food and water and driving round trips back from Athens today to make sure my neighbors without enough gas to get out of town have food.

No one has seen the national guard there is no water distribution there is no food distribution. It's bad bad. They have no timeline for any of this to be better either. We actually stocked up on food and water but after 3 days it was running low because we were sharing our water with neighbors. And we lived on beauxatcher mountain so we didn't have flooding just downed trees.

I've got friends in swananoa that I haven't heard from. I've got a rock climbing buddy in Bat Cave that I haven't heard from.

This isn't a political statement. I'm assuming big a D as you'll ever see but the federal response was piss poor. I know our roads were flooded and hard to pass but it's pretty bad when private pilots are flying into AVL with provisions and then a team of volunteers are getting the food from the airport to where it needs to go. And not the national guard. Breweries are doing more to get water out than the government.

I lived through the Texas ice storm and this response is just as bad as that was. Citizen volunteers are coming together because government ain't doing shit

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The one relatively minor "silver lining" is that North Carolina and the surrounding states do have quite a number of military assets that could be deployed to deliver supplies.

As far as I can see, no significant XVIII Airborne Corps or II MEF resources have been spun up, just National Guard. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to All Waffle Houses in Tallahassee closing as Helene approaches, update (09/30): NC sets up disaster relief fund

I have friends who live in the Black Mountain area outside of Asheville. I’ve been keeping tabs on them the last few days and thankfully they are alive and accounted but got a lengthy update from my friend this evening. According to my friend it’s much worse than the news is reporting on. Far more deaths, far more people missing. National guard isn’t letting any aid into their area. Right now it’s just neighbors helping neighbors. Really dire stuff.