Update (10/03): ILA workers return to the job until January 15 while final agreement is worked out/ratified

The International Longshoremen’s Association leader Harold Daggett has been critical of the Biden administration.

NEW YORK — A looming dockworkers strike threatens to shut down East Coast ports and snarl the national economy just before the election. Crippling the economy is not just a byproduct of a dockworkers strike — it’s the point, according to the crucial leader of the union threatening the disruption.

The decision to strike is largely in the hands of the mercurial and tough-as-nails head of the dockworkers union, Harold Daggett, a native New Yorker who’s been accused of having mob ties. Lately he’s been critical of the Biden administration’s labor record and provocatively asked where the president has been for his members.

In one video post, where he promised to hurt the economy if the union’s demands weren’t met, Daggett envisioned what will happen when his workers walk out: The first week, the strike will dominate the headlines. The second week, car dealers will start laying people off. By week three, malls will begin closing. Soon construction workers would lose their jobs.

“In today’s world, I’ll cripple you,” he said recently in a video post. “I will cripple you.”

A strike now appears increasingly likely and a major disruption to the supply chain could throw a wrench into Vice President Kamala Harris’ sunny economic message. The strike could be injected almost immediately into the presidential campaigns because it would begin the same day as Tuesday’s vice presidential debate.

Along his rise to power, Daggett has been dogged by allegations that he benefited from mob support in various ways. Two decades ago, federal prosecutors in Brooklyn accused him of benefiting from a mob conspiracy to elect him head of the ILA, which he was not at the time. He was acquitted.

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Not a union I’m cheering on at the moment. 

• Guillotine 2

Aren't we already dealing with a bit of slowing down due to what happened in Baltimore a few months back? Then there's the Canadian train workers union that's on strike as well, which will affect trade & commerce also. Fascinating times we live in folks.

4 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Then there's the Canadian train workers union that's on strike as well, which will affect trade & commerce also.

Vermont has better maple syrup so we’re good as long their supply holds, plus a Tim Horton’s opened like 20 min from me 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

If you are looking for a true USA maple syrup may I suggest 

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Menard Family Maple. 261 likes. We started making maple syrup in 2011and have been expanding over the years. We are on our way to becoming a small business and can't wait to...

This is my cousin.

There was the awesome 0 calorie syrup I was using from Walden Farms, but they recently changed the recipe because "reasons" and it tastes like utter trash now. All reviews on Amazon and wherever else is just people complaining about the new recipe over the past year. 

WWW.REUTERS.COM

NEW YORK, Oct 1 (Reuters) - U.S. East Coast and Gulf Coast dockworkers began a strike early on Tuesday, their first large-scale stoppage in nearly 50 years, halting the flow of about half the nation's ocean shipping after negotiations for a new labor contract broke down over wages.

The strike blocks everything from food to automobile shipments across dozens of ports from Maine to Texas, in a disruption analysts warned will cost the economy billions of dollars a day, threaten jobs and potentially stoke inflation.

Daggett praised the Biden administration’s efforts, in particular Acting Secretary of Labor Julie Su, whom he called “terrific.” “She’s knocking down doors. She’s trying to stop this. She’s trying to get us … fair negotiations,” Daggett said. “It’s the companies that don’t want to sit here and be fair. So that’s why we’re out here fighting for our livelihood.”

Even if the Biden administration did end the strike, it’s not clear if simply ordering the union members back to work would actually get the cargo moving over the docks.

WWW.CNN.COM

Nearly 50,000 members of the International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) are on strike Tuesday against the nation’s East and Gulf Coast ports, choking off the flow of many of America’s imports and exports in what could become the country’s most disruptive work stoppage in decades.

I really hope this can be concluded soon. Food is something you notice very quickly when prices fluctuate. In fact, I was happy to see bananas go down to 49 cents a pound here, which is below where they were in 2006 and 20 cents lower than earlier this year.

I have no qualms with longshoremen being paid well, but it's hard not to feel like this strike is mostly a political attack on the party that actually supports unions (however imperfectly).

Also, a ban on automation in docks is insane. The lack of automation in US ports is criminal and I hope that this speeds up that process more than it hinders it.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

We sure that’s his office and not Trump’s?

That’s a good point. Trump’s disheveled nature in that picture makes it seem like he went to the guy and not the other way around. Like he took a journey. But it makes more sense that it would be Trump’s office. 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

ILA Strke.jpg

Perhaps this is the right move assuming this is settled in days. In a couple of weeks, workers across the country are going to start feeling this strike, and there’s a lot more of them than just the members of this union.

The assumption may be that workers affected who aren’t part of the union will blame the company rather than the union, but everyone is hearing what kind of deal the union has in front of them. It seems like a deal most of us could only dream of. 

I appreciate the delicacy of all this and hope they know what they’re doing. 

The strike is over (for now).

WWW.CNN.COM

The International Longshoremen’s Association, the union that has been on strike since early Tuesday at ports along the East and Gulf Coasts, and the management group representing...

Striking members of the International Longshoremen’s Association will be back to work at the ports on Friday, two sources told CNN Thursday, as the union and the management group representing shipping lines, terminal operators and port authorities have reached a tentative deal on wages.

The sources who spoke with CNN said there is not yet a final agreement on the complete contract. But one of the sources said that the two sides had agreed to extend the contract that had expired Friday until January 15 and have the union members back on the job while the final details are worked out and the agreement is ratified by the rank-and-file.

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The strike is over (for now).

WWW.CNN.COM

The International Longshoremen’s Association, the union that has been on strike since early Tuesday at ports along the East and Gulf Coasts, and the management group representing...

Holy shit.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (10/03): ILA workers to return to the job until January 15 while final agreement is worked out/ratified