If they made a Back to the Future reboot, Marty would be traveling to 1994

Spork3245

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Didn’t need to catch it: how did it affect the story of the movie in a meaningful way that would change a modern remake?

I brought that up because your assertion and post were pretty weird and gave the impression that there’s been little societal change in the past 30 years vs the 30 years from the original movie.

This alt account and persona you made is fun.

Not saying the movie is about racism but it doesn’t ignore it either. It’s clearly a white only dance, and the only black guys there are the hired performers. You’re the one who brought up the black band, mistakenly thinking it was showcasing diversity, while completely missing the point that they were the hired help performing for a white only dance. How could you miss it?

I’m not an alt at all, buddy. I’m a long time lurker who finally decided to participate in the boys club that you have going on here.

If you wanna argue in 2024 that someone claiming to be a woman is not a woman then have fun being canceled. Until then, continue mansplaining to someone clearly more hot and intelligent than you.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Racism is the same now as it was in 1994. We went from Rodney King to George Floyd. The only difference is more people get the killings recorded.

I think we have had improvement in racism, but not as significant. There are other other bigger forms of bigotry that have have had more significant improvements though like homosexuality. In the 90s "gay" and the f-word as general pejoratives were extremely common and supporting gay marriage was political suicide. It was the era of "don't ask don't tell." "Coming out of the closest" was extremely risky for people and would up-end their life. We've since had gay marriage nationally legalized and politicians proudly announce their support of gay rights. Trans rights, while still having a long way to go, has entered into the social debate and the younger generation has made it clear this issue will continue to make progress if nothing else but by their will.

(EDIT: I see Spork is making the same case)

8 minutes ago, legend said:

I think we have had improvement in racism, but not as significant. There are other other bigger forms of bigotry that have have had more significant improvements though like homosexuality. In the 90s "gay" and the f-word as general pejoratives were extremely common and supporting gay marriage was political suicide. It was the era of "don't ask don't tell." "Coming out of the closest" was extremely risky for people and would up-end their life. We've since had gay marriage nationally legalized and politicians proudly announce their support of gay rights. Trans rights, while still having a long way to go, has entered into the social debate and the younger generation has made it clear this issue will continue to make progress if nothing else but by their will.

(EDIT: I see Spork is making the same case)

Yes but LGBTQ people still had major advancements between the 50’s and 80’s. See my post earlier. Stonewall Riots, Castro District, the birth of the NYC ballroom culture, etc. They still had a long ways to go in the 80’s but in the 50’s were basically invisible and hidden.

I recommend getting a sociology degree like I did if you wanna appreciate more just how significant the change was between the 50’s and 80’s.

Hell, even the owner of this board agrees with me, he liked my original post. Don’t deny I’m right just because I’m hot.

42 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Not saying the movie is about racism but it doesn’t ignore it either. It’s clearly a white only dance, and the only black guys there are the hired performers. You’re the one who brought up the black band, mistakenly thinking it was showcasing diversity, while completely missing the point that they were the hired help performing for a white only dance. How could you miss it?

I brought up the black band because black people were depicted in the movie without racism towards them in their depictions - regardless of if the school was segregated or not, it wasn't on display (in a meaningful sense beyond the observation one could make) nor did it affect the experience that the protagonist had in their time traveling, thus a modern remake of going from 2024 to 1994 wouldn't be affected by the differences in societal advancements either. 

I’m not an alt at all, buddy. I’m a long time lurker who finally decided to participate in the boys club that you have going on here.

If you wanna argue in 2024 that someone claiming to be a woman is not a woman then have fun being canceled. Until then, continue mansplaining to someone clearly more hot and intelligent than you.

I didn't say you're not a woman, I said you're an alt with a fun persona. It's quite amazing that all of a sudden these "lurkers" are posting regularly :daydream:

Yes, disagreeing with someone's take is clearly misogynist behavior. This is truly a winning argument from someone that can handle different opinions.

24 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Yes but LGBTQ people still had major advancements between the 50’s and 80’s. See my post earlier. Stonewall Riots, Castro District, the birth of the NYC ballroom culture, etc. They still had a long ways to go in the 80’s but in the 50’s were basically invisible and hidden.

I recommend getting a sociology degree like I did if you wanna appreciate more just how significant the change was between the 50’s and 80’s.

Hell, even the owner of this board agrees with me, he liked my original post. Don’t deny I’m right just because I’m hot.

Yes, of course there was progress. Similarly, racism wasn't gone in the 80s, it was still quite prevalent despite some significant legal advances. Just like homophobia isn't gone now even though there have been significant changes.

I'm more than willing to entertain that in some dimensions one gap was bigger than another because no changes in time are going to have the same exact measurable progress in all dimensions. The issue is you're the one who has advocated unequivocally that the social changes from the 50s to 80s are "bigger" and that is not a clean and easy claim to make so certainly. There are a huge number of variables here with different kinds of progress and change in each. If you want to wave your sociology degree around to justify your absolute unequivocal claim, then maybe try making an argument like an actual expert. How about you start by operationally defining how you measure progress and which variables you specifically want to restrict your claim to.

If you can't be bothered to do that, then sorry, you don't get to claim the fruits of expertise and authority.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I brought up the black band because black people were depicted in the movie without racism towards them - regardless of if the school was segregated or not, it wasn't on display nor did it affect the experience that the protagonist had in their time traveling, thus a modern remake of going from 2024 to 1994 wouldn't be affected by the differences in societal advancements. 

I didn't say you're not a woman, I said you're an alt with a fun persona. It's quite amazing that all of a sudden these "lurkers" are posting regularly :daydream:

Yes, disagreeing with someone's take is clearly misogynist behavior. This is truly a winning argument from someone that can handle different opinions.

If you think showing black people being hired to perform for an all white dance isn’t racism then I really don’t know what to say to you. That is racism pure and simple, the idea that black people only exist to serve white poor and make their lives better. It’s like how racist people claim they aren’t racist because they like Will Smith movies, or a homophobic person may think they aren’t homophobic because their hairdresser is gay.

Bigots believe that people different than them exist to serve them and make their lives better. If you think depiction of these minority groups serving the group that is

in power isn’t racism then then I don’t think you’re able to acknowledge basic reality for me to have this conversation with you.

Turn off the Daily Show and open a book on sociology and actually learn something about the world rather than learning from whitey.

8 minutes ago, legend said:

Yes, of course there was progress. Similarly, racism wasn't gone in the 80s, it was still quite prevalent despite some significant legal advances. Just like homophobia isn't gone now even though there have been significant changes.

I'm more than willing to entertain that in some dimensions one gap was bigger than another because no changes in time are going to have the same exact measurable progress in all dimensions. The issue is you're the one who has advocated unequivocally that the social changes from the 50s to 80s are "bigger" and that is not a clean and easy claim to make so certainly. There are a huge number of variables here with different kinds of progress and change in each. If you want to wave your sociology degree around to justify your absolute unequivocal claim, then maybe try making an argument like an actual expert. How about you start by operationally defining how you measure progress and which variables you specifically want to restrict your claim to.

If you can't be bothered to do that, then sorry, you don't get to claim the fruits of expertise and authority.

You just hate acknowledging when a woman knows more than you.

You even acknowledged that the change between the 50’s and 80’s was greater. You already admitted I was right. If you wanna try to turn a fun internet thread into an academic debate in order to discredit the experts one of the the few woman posters on

here then go right ahead. But I’m still hotter than you, and no amount of arguing will ever change that.

11 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

You just hate acknowledging when a woman knows more than you.

lol Many of the academic advisors I've had over the years were women, including my doctoral advisor. I'm sorry, the issue is you're not acting like a serious academic and you don't get to claim expertise merely because you received a "degree" in something. You get to claim it by actually demonstrating expertise.

11 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

You even acknowledged that the change between the 50’s and 80’s was greater. You already admitted I was right. If you wanna try to turn a fun internet thread into an academic debate in order to discredit the experts one of the the few woman posters on

here then go right ahead. But I’m still hotter than you, and no amount of arguing will ever change that.

Yikes. You have some pretty bad reading comprehension. Doesn't inspire confidence that you know what you're talking about.

12 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

If you think showing black people being hired to perform for an all white dance isn’t racism then I really don’t know what to say to you. That is racism pure and simple, the idea that black people only exist to serve white poor and make their lives better. It’s like how racist people claim they aren’t racist because they like Will Smith movies, or a homophobic person may think they aren’t homophobic because their hairdresser is gay.

Bigots believe that people different than them exist to serve them and make their lives better. If you think depiction of these minority groups serving the group that is

in power isn’t racism then then I don’t think you’re able to acknowledge basic reality for me to have this conversation with you.

Turn off the Daily Show and open a book on sociology and actually learn something about the world rather than learning from whitey.

There's a lot to unpack here, but it seems mostly like a rant to continue to avoid answering my question in the most bad faith way imaginable. 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, they have a degree and we just hate women.

You misgendered me by labeling me as a they/them when I clearly stated I’m a woman. You can’t even acknowledge I’m a woman. Clearly misogynistic behavior. You rather listen to men like Jon Stewart than expert women like myself. When a woman knows more than you, you deny her womanhood by misgendering them because you can’t admit that you know less than a woman. And a woman much hotter than you at that.

• Haha 1

Just now, ihavebigtitties said:

You misgendered me by labeling me as a they/them when I clearly stated I’m a woman. You can’t even acknowledge I’m a woman. Clearly misogynistic behavior. You rather listen to men like Jon Stewart than expert women like myself. When a woman knows more than you, you deny her womanhood by misgendering them because you can’t admit that you know less than a woman. And a woman much hotter than you at that.

You're an extremely sensitive alt, seem a bit insecure when people don't agree with you too. Are you okay?

6 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Both of the men you are speaking to are two of the kindest intelligent men on here. They are anything but sexist and are legitimately trying to have a conversation with you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sicko 1

Just now, Best said:

Both of the men you are speaking to are two of the kindest intelligent men on here. They are anything but sexist and are legitimately trying to have a conversation with you. 

I appreciate this! But she's gone into full troll mode at this point, so I'm going to bow out from the discussion from here.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Best said:

It wasn’t very kind of Spork to refuse to acknowledge my womanhood by misgendering me.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I appreciate this! But she's gone into full troll mode at this point, so I'm going to bow out from the discussion from here.

When a woman dares speaks her own mind you call her a troll.

Trolls are ugly, hideous creatures. Do you not understand how offensive it is for a man to compare a woman to a troll? You need to learn how to talk to women better, especially women as hot as me.

Let’s be real, BttF only works if Marty acts like a moron the entire time who somehow forgets he’s in the 1950’s at every possible moment.  It has nothing to do with actual cultural differences and everything to do with pop culture references.  Marty has almost no problem with the cultural norms of the time other than wrongly assuming his mom wasn’t calamity tier horny.  The main fish out of water things he goes through are shit like certain sodas not existing and no one understanding his modern slang.  

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

It wasn’t very kind of Spork to refuse to acknowledge my womanhood by misgendering me.

Well I'm not going to comment on that. But I think you're being a bit unfair to both gentlemen.

Overall I think you made good points in this thread. 

• Hugs 1

I use “they” to refer to anyone/everyone pretty regularly, it has nothing to do with gender when I’m using it generically. I also never said you weren’t a woman, you just keep assuming that and arguing completely made up nonsense while constantly saying you’re super intelligent. 

28 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Let’s be real, BttF only works if Marty acts like a moron the entire time who somehow forgets he’s in the 1950’s at every possible moment.  It has nothing to do with actual cultural differences and everything to do with pop culture references.  Marty has almost no problem with the cultural norms of the time other than wrongly assuming his mom wasn’t calamity tier horny.  The main fish out of water things he goes through are shit like certain sodas not existing and no one understanding his modern slang.  

This is what I’ve been arguing. Societal racism wasn’t depicted in the movie in any meaningful way that affected the protagonist’s experience or the story. Advances in such things between now and the 90s vs the 80s and the 50s are unlikely to affect a remake.

I love BttF and its overall aesthetics are great, but perhaps it's in everyone's best interest to not go beyond skin deep when discussing a movie whose protagonist comes up with a plan that involves gaslighting his mother into thinking that he's going to sexually assault her because surely her trauma response will be to fall in love with her savior which turns out to be very convenient when she is ACTUALLY sexually assaulted / almost raped and reacts the way Marty planned.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I love BttF and its overall aesthetics are great, but perhaps it's in everyone's best interest to not go beyond skin deep when discussing a movie whose protagonist comes up with a plan that involves gaslighting his mother into thinking that he's going to sexually assault her because surely her trauma response will be to fall in love with her savior which turns out to be very convenient when she is ACTUALLY sexually assaulted / almost raped and reacts the way Marty planned.

I think they can pull off the same idea in the 90s, idk

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I know that no reboot is actually being planned or whatever, but perfect movies--which Back to the Future is and I will hear no argument about it--should not have remakes.

TBF, the point of this post was to make you fucks feel old :p 

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is what I’ve been arguing. Societal racism wasn’t depicted in the movie in any meaningful way that affected the protagonist’s experience or the story. Advances in such things between now and the 90s vs the 80s and the 50s are unlikely to affect a remake.

You’re so hung up on the racism aspect of it but my point was so much than that. Back to the Future was a response to the Regan fueled 50’s nostalgia, the misconception that the 50’s was a more morally pure decade than the 80’s, and a moral purity that the country needs to return to. Zemeckis shows the 50’s as a decade that it a repressed but still has a seendyness undernearh. Marty catches his dad spying on his mom changing and stops Biff from raping his mom.

The relationship the 80’s had with the 50’s is so much greater than the 90’s does with the 2020’s. There is 90’s nostalgia certainly, but it’s not nearly as prevalent in our media as 50’s nostalgia was in the 80’s, nor does anyone really view the 90’s as an era of moral purity we need to return to.

Also, as far as the band is concerned I think they were trying to not be racist by having a black band there. Having a black band perform Chuck Berry songs and Earth Angel is more appropriate than having a white band play it. It's one of the reasons my dad never liked Elvis or the Rolling Stones, because they just ripped off the music from black people. Now having Michael J Fox sing it is a different story.

4 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

The relationship the 80’s had with the 50’s is so much greater than the 90’s does with the 2020’s. There is 90’s nostalgia certainly, but it’s not nearly as prevalent in our media as 50’s nostalgia was in the 80’s, nor does anyone really view the 90’s as an era of moral purity we need to return to.

I think this is largely correct and it's because Gen-X turned out to be a bunch of conservative sell-outs.

I wish BttF was more racist and more sexist. Why didn't they go back to the 1800s where Marty met Master McFly and there was an MJ Fox in blackface that Master McFly seemed to dote on and the boy's mother also seemed to have a higher status than the other slaves? That would have been so kino.