If they made a Back to the Future reboot, Marty would be traveling to 1994

Spork3245

Instead of saving "I have two TVs" and the mom saying he's teasing because nobody has two TVs, he'll say he watches everything on his phone and computer.

Instead of saying he watched a rerun, he'll say he streamed the episode last week.

Instead of 'Who the hell is John F Kennedy' it'll be "Who the hell is Barack Obama?"

Heck, if they made a 2019 version, the who's the president conversation with Doc will be basically the same as "Ronald Reagan? THE ACTOR?!" Hell, he'll probably say, "AND I GUESS VINCE MCMAHON IS THE SECRETARY OF STATE?" and he'll be close to correct.

• Halal 4

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Instead of saving "I have two TVs" and the mom saying he's teasing because nobody has two TVs, he'll say he watches everything on his phone and computer.

Instead of saying he watched a rerun, he'll say he streamed the episode last week.

Instead of 'Who the hell is John F Kennedy' it'll be "Who the hell is Barack Obama?"

Heck, if they made a 2019 version, the who's the president conversation with Doc will be basically the same as "Ronald Reagan? THE ACTOR?!" Hell, he'll probably say, "AND I GUESS VINCE MCMAHON IS THE SECRETARY OF STATE?" and he'll be close to correct.

I really like this post!

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Instead of singing Johnny B. Goode ahead of his time at the dance, he'd sing The Real Slim Shady.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I want it.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Instead of singing Johnny B. Goode ahead of his time at the dance, he'd sing The Real Slim Shady.

Make it Get Low and I'm in. Timeline wise, yeah, it's a little later in relation to Johnny B Goode and 1955 but I think it would better suit the idea that the song is supposed to represent the next major change in musical trends that might be lost on a high school dance in the mid 90s. High schoolers in the mid 90s would have absolutely been down for Slim Shady just a couple years early (albeit maybe a little confused because who tf is slim shady at that point). 

Back to the Future works as well as it does because it came out at the exact right time, right at the fulcrum point of culture changing rapidly in a way it rarely does. The cultural difference between the 50’s and 80’s is FAR greater than the difference between the 90’s and 2020’s.

The relationship between the 50’s and 80’s is also important to not. 50’s nostalgia was huge in the 80’s and a lot of it was fueled by Regan conservatism. The movie pokes fun at the belief that the 50’s was a more morally pure time that America needs to return too. Zemeckis wanted to show the Reaganites that the 50’s were still seedy as hell.

There is 90’s nostalgia today because nostalgia typically goes in 30 year cycles, but it’s not as prominent as the 50’s nostalgia in the 80’s, and it’s nowhere near as politically charged. The movie came out at the exact right time and can’t be repeated. That’s why the director Robert Zemeckis and co-screenwriter Bob Gale refuse for it to

ever be remade as long as they’re still alive.

• Halal 3

5 hours ago, ihavebigtitties said:

The cultural difference between the 50’s and 80’s is FAR greater than the difference between the 90’s and 2020’s.

I'm not so sure of that. I might posit that if you're as old as I am that it merely feels that way because you lived through it.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'm not so sure of that. I might posit that if you're as old as I am that it merely feels that way because you lived through it.

If you disagree with that statement then you might be a white person. So much changed in just the 60’s alone. Period. End of discussion.

• Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

If you disagree with that statement then you might be a white person. So much changed in just the 60’s alone. Period. End of discussion.

Because you think I'm discounting racism? If so, do you think general acceptance in various forms of bigotry is roughly the same as it was in the 90s? Because if so, I might not be the one with blinders on.

50 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

You’re not wrong, but I think you’re ignoring a ton of stuff from 1994 to 2024 just because we were alive to see most of it.  The internet, social media, 9/11, the war on terror, COVID, the Trump era, 24 hour cable news, the list goes on.  

People for forget what a huge difference the past 30 years have brought.  My generation is one of the only generations I can think of where NONE of the stuff I grew up with was still around for my kids to see and know about.  When I was a kid, the touchstones of the previous generation were still around, and not in a derelict way, but in a still viable technology way.  I used a rotary phone, a record player, a typewriter, the card catalog at the library, a black and white tv, all that stuff.  My kids have never seen a TV that wasn’t flat, a phone that wasn’t a camera, a computer that couldn’t pull up every song you’ve ever heard of instantly, none of it.  They click on floppy disk icons to save without any idea what it is and say rewind because that’s just a word and not a physical description of an action.  

The world has changed massively in 30 years, we’ve just been stuck on the roller coaster.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

You’re not wrong, but I think you’re ignoring a ton of stuff from 1994 to 2024 just because we were alive to see most of it.  The internet, social media, 9/11, the war on terror, COVID, the Trump era, 24 hour cable news, the list goes on.  

People for forget what a huge difference the past 30 years have brought.  My generation is one of the only generations I can think of where NONE of the stuff I grew up with was still around for my kids to see and know about.  When I was a kid, the touchstones of the previous generation were still around, and not in a derelict way, but in a still viable technology way.  I used a rotary phone, a record player, a typewriter, the card catalog at the library, a black and white tv, all that stuff.  My kids have never seen a TV that wasn’t flat, a phone that wasn’t a camera, a computer that couldn’t pull up every song you’ve ever heard of instantly, none of it.  They click on floppy disk icons to save without any idea what it is and say rewind because that’s just a word and not a physical description of an action.  

The world has changed massively in 30 years, we’ve just been stuck on the roller coaster.

Yeah there is always gonna be a lotta shit that happens I’m 30 years, not ignoring that. All that is technology and shit, where the humor really works is showing how the society changed. Things were far more conservative and uptight in the 50’s, that’s why it’s such a big comedic premise for him to to a culture they don’t fit into. Someone from 2024 would able to fit in a lot easier in the 90’s than Marty was able to in the 50’s.

I don’t recall the OG movies touching on racism much if at all… But, if civil rights differences is the bar for a time traveling movie like this and you don’t think there’s a large difference between 1994 and 2024, it’s probably because you’re ignoring the difference in LGBTQ+ rights from then to now.

• Halal 1

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City came out in 2002. It was retro-inspired by 80's culture. The game takes place in 1986.

If that same game with that same concept came out today, it would take place in 2008. Referencing such retro media as The Dark Knight and (ironically) Grand Theft Auto 4.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City came out in 2002. It was retro-inspired by 80's culture. The game takes place in 1986.

If that same game with that same concept came out today, it would take place in 2008. Referencing such retro media as The Dark Knight and (ironically) Grand Theft Auto 4.

Since Vice City was inspired by 80s culture, it would still be placed in the 80s, though. :p 

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

Stop being obtuse you twat, you get what I'm saying.

I actually don’t, because it’s way different from the movie on my OP which has the protagonist traveling back to when his parents were his age and the 30-years of time travel is important to the plot. :p 

Vice City was a game that’s inspired by a time period and the culture of that period, the year it’s made isn’t relevant.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I actually don’t, because it’s way different from the movie on my OP which has the protagonist traveling back to when his parents were his age and the 30-years of time travel is important to the plot. :p 

Vice City was a game that’s inspired by a time period and the culture of that period, the year it’s made isn’t relevant.

Also, GTA 6 is going to take pace in Vice City (or the whole state in any case) and is being set some time after 2017 (or whenever the rise of social media happened with live streaming and stuff). So it's silly to say anything about Vice City taking place in a different time, it's already happening anyway.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also, GTA 6 is going to take pace in Vice City (or the whole state in any case) and is being set some time after 2017 (or whenever the rise of social media happened with live streaming and stuff). So it's silly to say anything about Vice City taking place in a different time, it's already happening anyway.

Will you hold me in a different time?

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t recall the OG movies touching on racism much if at all… But, if civil rights differences is the bar for a time traveling movie like this and you don’t think there’s a large difference between 1994 and 2024, it’s probably because you’re ignoring the difference in LGBTQ+ rights from then to now.

Novody is saying there isn’t a difference. It’s just that the cultural change in the 50’s and 80’s. Not ignoring queer rights at all, but LGBTQ people weren’t segregated in the 80’s and weren’t banned from voting like black people were in the 50’s. You can’t be as obtuse to think I’m saying the difference isn’t significant. It’s just that the difference between the 50’s and 80’s is arguably one of the greatest ever, and if you didn’t study sociology in college like I did and get all your cultural lessons from movies and memes then maybe you will never get it.

19 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Novody is saying there isn’t a difference. It’s just that the cultural change in the 50’s and 80’s. Not ignoring queer rights at all, but LGBTQ people weren’t segregated in the 80’s and weren’t banned from voting like black people were in the 50’s. You can’t be as obtuse to think I’m saying the difference isn’t significant. It’s just that the difference between the 50’s and 80’s is arguably one of the greatest ever, and if you didn’t study sociology in college like I did and get all your cultural lessons from movies and memes then maybe you will never get it.

Yes, I’m being obtuse and “not getting it” when none of what you’re stating was touched on in the movie and the highschool had a black band playing at the dance.

And if you didn’t study sociology like I did then you wouldn’t know the LGTBQ culture in the 80’s was still more visible than it was in the 50’s. It still had a long way to go, yes, but in the 50’s it was basically non existence.

There were the Stonewall Riots in the 60’s, the creation and growth of the Castro District in the 60’s and 70’s, NYC’s ballroom culture in the 80’s which gave birth to drag culture as we know it today.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, I’m being obtuse and “not getting it” when none of what you’re stating was touched on in the movie and the highschool had a black band playing at the dance.

Yes, a segregated dance where the only black people were the hired performers playing for whitey. Pretty obtuse.

13 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

And if you didn’t study sociology like I did then you wouldn’t know the LGTBQ culture in the 80’s was still more visible than it was in the 50’s. It still had a long way to go, yes, but in the 50’s it was basically non existence.

There were the Stonewall Riots in the 60’s, the creation and growth of the Castro District in the 60’s and 70’s, NYC’s ballroom culture in the 80’s which gave birth to drag culture as we know it today.

I’m well aware of the advancements in LGBTQ+ rights and visibility from 1950-1980 and I never said otherwise lol

12 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Yes, a segregated dance where the only black people were the hired performers playing for whitey. Pretty obtuse.

Where was this shown in the movie? What aspects of racism were delved into within back to the future 1?

You seem to be confusing if someone actually went back in time vs the depiction in the movie. A 16-18 year old sent back to the 90s in a modern remake would likely be roughly as jarring as it was from the 80s to the 50s for a movie. If they were trying to make some realistic depiction of societal differences, sure, the 80s vs 50s may be more jarring than the 2020s vs the 90s, but that’s changing the discussion a lot :p 

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m well aware of the advancements in LGBTQ+ rights and visibility from 1950-1980 and I never said otherwise lol

Where was this shown in the movie? What aspects of racism were delved into within back to the future 1?

You seem to be confusing if someone actually went back in time vs the depiction in the movie. A 16-18 year old sent back to the 90s in a modern remake would likely be roughly as jarring as it was from the 80s to the 50s for a movie. If they were trying to make some realistic depiction of societal differences, sure, the 80s vs 50s may be more jarring than the 2020s vs the 90s, but that’s changing the discussion a lot :p 

You didn’t catch that only white people went to that school, or did that fly over your head?

Not sure it’s changing the subject, you’re the one who brought up the cultural change for LGBTQ people, so clearly you are also accepting this discussion is going beyond just the movie. It’s about the changes in culture between the decades, and you acknowledged it’s about the change in culture by bringing up LGTBQ rights.

Men will never let admit when a woman is right, especially a hot one.

3 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

You didn’t catch that only white people went to that school, or did that fly over your head?

Didn’t need to catch it: how did it affect the story of the movie in a meaningful way that would change a modern remake?

Not sure it’s changing the subject, you’re the one who brought up the cultural change for LGBTQ people, so clearly you are also accepting this discussion is going beyond just the movie. It’s about the changes in culture between the decades, and you acknowledged it’s about the change in culture by bringing up LGTBQ rights.

I brought that up because your assertion and post were pretty weird and gave the impression that there’s been little societal change in the past 30 years vs the 30 years from the original movie.

Men will never let admit when a woman is right, especially a hot one.

This alt account and persona you made is fun.

• Haha 1