Update (09/18): Israel manufactured the exploding pagers used in its anti-Hezbollah operation

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

lots of Hez fighters getting on Delta flights?

WWW.FRANCE24.COM

The arrest in Brazil this week of two people accused of planning "terrorist attacks" has put a spotlight on alleged South American operations by Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, which Israel says orchestrated…

The most obvious answer is they modified a crate of pagers and then used an inside guy to have them mixed in like a normal shipment of new equipment. These guys have probably been walking around with bombs in their pockets for months.

There's no way they figured out how to make unmodified pagers explode with deadly force remotely. The worst they could do is start a battery fire which would not kill anyone and is not really plausible.

7 minutes ago, ort said:

The most obvious answer is they modified a crate of pagers and then used an inside guy to have them mixed in like a normal shipment of new equipment. These guys have probably been walking around with bombs in their pockets for months.

There's no way they figured out how to make unmodified pagers explode with deadly force remotely. The worst they could do is start a battery fire which would not kill anyone and is not really plausible.

I like the theory that Hezbolla modified them and gave to their people as a way to destroy evidence later. Someone just found the kill switch on all of them.

33 minutes ago, ort said:

These are pagers. You can power a pager with a AAA battery for a few days. There's no way the battery could be overloaded while NOT plugged in to the point of killing someone.

25 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I like the theory that Hezbolla modified them and gave to their people as a way to destroy evidence later. Someone just found the kill switch on all of them.

It would be crazy to make the explosive strong enough to kill someone. There are self destructive electronics out there and there's little more than smoke and a spark

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Except for the dead 10 year-old girl.

This attack killed 8 members of a terrorist organization, and reportedly injured 2,750 of them -- 200 critically.

GXtVtlMW0AAxRzj?format=jpg&name=medium

Certainly a much more precise attack than the Hezbollah rocket attack that killed 12 Druze children (and was not fired at a legitimate target) just a few months ago.

• stepee 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This attack killed 8 members of a terrorist organization, and reportedly injured 2,750 of them -- 200 critically.

GXtVtlMW0AAxRzj?format=jpg&name=medium

Certainly a much more precise attack than the Hezbollah rocket attack that killed 12 Druze children (and was not fired at a legitimate target) just a few months ago.

Do you honestly believe that all nearly 3,000 injuries are members of Hezbollah?  

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

From what the media is reporting, these were pagers issues by Hezbollah/Iran to members of their organization.

Do you believe these pagers were issued to people not associated with them?

I believe that individuals were injured who were in proximity to those to whom they were issued. 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I believe that individuals were injured who were in proximity to those to whom they were issued.

We know the daughter of one terrorist was killed.  I haven't seen reports of others.

I have also seen multiple videos of these things exploding, and not harming people standing directly beside them. 

I don't know how many people in proximity to these things have been injured. 

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

We know the daughter of one terrorist was killed.  I haven't seen reports of others.

I have also seen multiple videos of these things exploding, and not harming people standing directly beside them. 

I don't know how many people in proximity to these things have been injured. 

But you do admit that there is at least the possibility that a non-insignificant number of the injuries could be non-legitimate targets?

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

But you do admit that there is at least the possibility that a non-insignificant number of the injuries could be non-legitimate targets?

Not to defend Israel, but can you think of another way to knock out an enemies entire command structure with less risk to civilians? 

50 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Does anyone believe that 3D scanners are in use at the Beirut airport? 

I mean, given the stability of the country and surrounding region, probably?

EDIT:

A quick google brought up this article from 2019:

WWW.AIRPORT-TECHNOLOGY.COM

Beirut Airport in Lebanon is set to start operating a new security system that was funded by the EU.

Sounds like their security systems were upgraded pretty recently, though the article doesn’t specifically mention scanners.

36 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I mean, given the stability of the country and surrounding region, probably?

EDIT:

A quick google brought up this article from 2019:

WWW.AIRPORT-TECHNOLOGY.COM

Beirut Airport in Lebanon is set to start operating a new security system that was funded by the EU.

Sounds like their security systems were upgraded pretty recently, though the article doesn’t specifically mention scanners.

The internet tells me their scanners were donated by Germany.   The internet also tells me that airport is a mess in terms of security.

For whatever it’s worth, Jan Ochoa of giant bomb used to work behind the scenes on Mythbusters.  He said he would consistently get flagged going through airport security for detecting explosives on his clothes or bags, and that was just from being around for the show, not actively handling them directly.  If they’re flagging a guy who was around when other people were dealing with explosives, I’d find it hard to believe they couldn’t find an actual explosive in a device no matter how small.

Different airports and all that noise though.