feeling bummed out

SuperSpreader

I stepped away from a role that was close to where I wanted to be for being in that role with people I had success with and also unknowns. The unknowns wrecked the place, now I'm working a gig with some friends but I never get to actually work with them. I feel like the people above me isolate me to keep me from taking over their roles and it depresses me. I'm just waiting for the right role to come around and it's such a crowded field, I see people with way less capacity in the role and just remember getting there is like 80% luck. Sometimes I wonder if I should just give up and enjoy the money but I wanna do something I care about. So I'm just... sorta feeling like a loser even though lots of people are in worse places.

• stepee 2
  • Hugs 2

5 minutes ago, Best said:

I'm having a difficult time understanding what you're really saying?

Seems like you're in a good spot mentally. 

I make more money than I ever have and logically I have nothing to complain about but I'm not doing what I want to be doing. My peers all believe in me but people above me still see me as a kid even though I have 21yr experience. I dunno. I feel like I'm sort of failing but I know I'm not really. I think I'm bored of this type of work and want to move up.

• Hugs 1

Yeah I don't think I really understood the situation, based on your description, but I do understand being unhappy with where you are; that really sucks, I'm sorry. 

Are you looking more for empathy, or solutions? How can we support you, my dude? :hug: 

13 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I don't think I really understood the situation, based on your description, but I do understand being unhappy with where you are; that really sucks, I'm sorry. 

Are you looking more for empathy, or solutions? How can we support you, my dude? :hug: 

I'm just grumpy rn and feeling pathetic

• Hugs 1

36 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm just grumpy rn and feeling pathetic

You could be me and stuck in a dead end job barely making it. You seem like a very intelligent guy. I’m sure you are very capable of bettering your job position. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I make more money than I ever have and logically I have nothing to complain about but I'm not doing what I want to be doing. My peers all believe in me but people above me still see me as a kid even though I have 21yr experience. I dunno. I feel like I'm sort of failing but I know I'm not really. I think I'm bored of this type of work and want to move up.

Sometimes some things are more valuable than money. 

• Halal 1

This is all part of the cyclical relationship we have with work and the loop always comes around again. I’d say dig in, if you still have the same thoughts in 6 months, spring is always a great time to find a different area or place to work. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

This is all part of the cyclical relationship we have with work and the loop always comes around again. I’d say dig in, if you still have the same thoughts in 6 months, spring is always a great time to find a different area or place to work. 

Yeah. That's sort of my thinking, hang on till next spring and then start the hunt. Meanwhile I'm putting out feelers/getting my stuff prepped. I just don't feel like I can do my best work where I'm at.

11 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I know that feeling, people in my office are still constantly trying to tap me as some sort of resource as to what young people like, and I’m going to be 40 in three months.  My beard is like 50% grey.  I just find it funny as opposed to annoying though.

• Haha 1

So I completely get the mentality.

Last year I had to take a LOA for mental health reasons despite the fact that I make more money and have a lifestyle I never imagined I'd have and the Baltimore nurse in me laughed I was so miserable despite all that. Last year was the least amount I have made since moving to the bay and it was still mid 2s despite three months off and I still nearly walked away from this job. Sometimes money is not enough especially if you're dealing with other things at the same time. I've settled in to being a sell out now, but I still get upset often about it.

I’m in a fun position where people at work love me, love my work, and say I’m capable of doing so much more, but the only positions I could actually get would be a terrible fit for me. I’ve been applying to positions still in the company but outside of my warehouse, and I can’t even get anyone to return an email.

I make just enough money that I don’t stress the day to day stuff (it helps that I have cheap tastes), but I am worried about long term. Work life balance is good, the job itself is pretty stress free, all things considered I’m doing alright. It just sucks that I’m in my mid-30’s and this is probably the point I should’ve been at 10+ years ago. 

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m in a fun position where people at work love me, love my work, and say I’m capable of doing so much more, but the only positions I could actually get would be a terrible fit for me. I’ve been applying to positions still in the company but outside of my warehouse, and I can’t even get anyone to return an email.

I make just enough money that I don’t stress the day to day stuff (it helps that I have cheap tastes), but I am worried about long term. Work life balance is good, the job itself is pretty stress free, all things considered I’m doing alright. It just sucks that I’m in my mid-30’s and this is probably the point I should’ve been at 10+ years ago. 

That explains 90% of humans working. You're doing fine. 

• True 1