Apple AirPods approved as hearing aids by FDA

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Tech giant's latest AirPods will soon function as hearing aids for people with mild to moderate hearing loss.

Fantastic news. This is directly because of the Biden administration helping to break the hearing aid cartel.

The FDA on Thursday authorized a piece of software called Hearing Aid Feature (HAF) that will allow Apple AirPods Pro 2 ear buds and other compatible Apple AirPods Pro devices to function as hearing aids when paired with an iOS 18-compatible iPhone or iPad. It's the first time the FDA has authorized an over-the-counter hearing aid software, the agency said.

Apple AirPods Pro 2 retail for $249, which is far less than the thousands of dollars other models of OTC hearing aids can cost.

• stepee 2

A direct result of one of the few bi-partisan bills passed during the Trump administration allowing over the counter hearing aids.

I'd be curious to know how well they do compared to other OTC aids like these $800 Sonys, but it wouldn't shock me if they're really close.

A very good move from Apple to not add "hearing aid like functionality" and to actually go through the certification process.

This is great.

Joe Biden Debate GIF by CBS News

Man, I’ve never been an Apple “fanboy” but I’ve owned a couple of their products over the years (2012 MacBook Pro, an iPad from around the same time, now an iPhone 13 Mini and AirPod Pro) and they are consistently some of the best products I’ve ever used. Computer wise my 2014 Thinkpad T440s was the only computer that I liked more than the MacBook.