New USPS mail trucks (electric, with air conditioning) debut to rave reviews from mail carriers

APNEWS.COM

The Postal Service’s new delivery vehicles aren’t going to win a beauty contest. They're tall and ungainly, with outsize windshields, thick bumpers and duck-bill hoods.

The Postal Service's new delivery vehicles aren't going to win a beauty contest. They're tall and ungainly. The windshields are vast. Their hoods resemble a duck bill. Their bumpers are enormous.

"You can tell that (the designers) didn't have appearance in mind," postal worker Avis Stonum said.

The new trucks also have a feature that became common in most cars more than six decades ago — air conditioning. And that's key for drivers in the Deep South, the desert Southwest and other areas with scorching summers.

"I promise you, it felt like heaven blowing in my face," Stonum said of her first experience working in an air-conditioned truck.

Richard Burton, another driver, said he appreciates the larger payload area, which can accommodate bigger packages, and the fact that he can stand up and doesn't have to crouch, helping him avoid back pain. The old trucks also had a habit of breaking down in traffic, he added.

• Hype 1

16 minutes ago, Best said:

Awesome. I'm trying to work for USPS in the near future. I worked for them 20 years ago and it's a great place to be employed. 

I worked with a guy who worked at USPS by day and then he was a graveyard shift valet during the night. This guy never got any sleep.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

This comes from the USPS reform law from the Biden/Harris admin, as a reminder!

THEY DID THIS SO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS CAN GET THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS FROM THE HARD WORKING AMERICANS TO GET THEIR TRANSGENDER SURGERIES NEEDED TO PROPERLY ENJOY A MEAL OF CAT & DOG

-Trump, probably

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I worked with a guy who worked at USPS by day and then he was a graveyard shift valet during the night. This guy never got any sleep.

I was a mail sorter and the money was good and the job was really easy. 

Then during the Christmas holiday I'd be an assistant driver and it was so much fun. 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

THEY DID THIS SO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS CAN GET THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS FROM THE HARD WORKING AMERICANS TO GET THEIR TRANSGENDER SURGERIES NEEDED TO PROPERLY ENJOY A MEAL OF CAT & DOG

-Trump, probably

IF YOU DRIVE THE MAIL TRUCK IN THE WATER AND THERE IS A SHARK DO YOU JUMP INTO THE SHARK OR INTO THE ELECTRIC WATER?!

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

IF YOU DRIVE THE MAIL TRUCK IN THE WATER AND THERE IS A SHARK DO YOU JUMP INTO THE SHARK OR INTO THE ELECTRIC WATER?!

AND IF YOU JUMP INTO THE ELECTRIC WATER SHARK DO YOU FIRST COOK YOUR DOG IN THE ELECTRIC WATER SO YOU CAN HAVE A LAST MEAL?

38 minutes ago, Best said:

I was a mail sorter and the money was good and the job was really easy. 

Then during the Christmas holiday I'd be an assistant driver and it was so much fun. 

They're harder to get into now, because they actually pay decently for non-degree jobs. Back when I was job hunting a couple years ago they never had any openings. Depends on where you live though.

Just now, Reputator said:

They're harder to get into now, because they actually pay decently for non-degree jobs. Back when I was job hunting a couple years ago they never had any openings. Depends on where you live though.

Yes I know this but fortunately I live RIGHT NEXT to a USPS manager and he is going to hook me up. I am already through a few hoops only because of him. 

• Halal 2
  • Hype 1

Every time I complain about my job, my sister loves to say that the post office is always hiring (which isn’t strictly true). Drive/walk around all day, have an earbud in, listen to music or podcasts or whatever, don’t really have to talk to people… it is a job that would suit me.

1 hour ago, Best said:

Awesome. I'm trying to work for USPS in the near future. I worked for them 20 years ago and it's a great place to be employed. 

My wife's uncle spent his entire career with USPS. I'm not sure how they do this for people they currently hire, but under his contract he was able to bank vacation and sick days. By the end he had saved up two years worth of sick days and vacation and used them all. Then retired afterwards. So he was "sick" and "on vacation" for two years. Didn't go to work at all. Then retired. I might have a few of those details incorrect but that was the gist. 

ETA: That's not to say he didn't take vacation or sick days when he worked for USPS. Of course he did. But he was still able to save up a lot over the course of 30+ years.

• Hype 1

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

My wife's uncle spent his entire career with USPS. I'm not sure how they do this for people they currently hire, but under his contract he was able to bank vacation and sick days. By the end he had saved up two years worth of sick days and vacation and used them all. Then retired afterwards. So he was "sick" and "on vacation" for two years. Didn't go to work at all. Then retired. I might have a few of those details incorrect but that was the gist. 

ETA: That's not to say he didn't take vacation or sick days when he worked for USPS. Of course he did. But he was still able to save up a lot over the course of 30+ years.

That's fantastic. Thanks for the info. 

20 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Every time I complain about my job, my sister loves to say that the post office is always hiring (which isn’t strictly true). Drive/walk around all day, have an earbud in, listen to music or podcasts or whatever, don’t really have to talk to people… it is a job that would suit me.

And have you seen their calves?!

50 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Fuck. You guys are making me want to look at USPS jobs around here. They're constantly posting about how they're hiring in this area.

I’ve never worked at USPS, but at the height of COVID when I was taking Ativan on a daily basis just to avoid a breakdown at my Walgreens job I looked into it as they kept sending mail about openings.

Pros: steady work, great benefits, decent pay (a carrier can earn $100k with experience and overtime). 

Cons: it’s still a bunch of fucking bureaucracy and can be physically demanding depending on your position. There is a subreddit for USPS workers where you can read up on more of their complaints, of which there are plenty.

All that being said, If pharmacist hadn’t worked out I would have applied. I’m sure like anywhere job satisfaction is almost entirely dependent on the environment at your station.