PS5 Pro officially announced for November 7 release for the price of...you've gotta be kidding me!

Keyser_Soze

Why not even include the stand? It's like 30 bucks on its own, isn't it, so they really couldn't just include that for 700 dollars? 

Mind you I still put my consoles horizontally because I remember reading years ago that it's better that way for airflow, and vertical runs the risk of scratching the disc, but no idea if that's even true still or not. 

13 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

The biggest moron in games

Dude, this is an industry with Randy Pritchard. The guy who secured Activision and BGS for MS doesn’t come close.

I also just don’t buy him being responsible for the Xbox’s lagging sales. He was 100% correct that people decided where they wanted their digital library to exist last generation. 

The only time XBox has really been able to compete in hardware Sony gave them a year head start and priced their console so high nobody wanted it. 

11 hours ago, Brick said:

Why not even include the stand? It's like 30 bucks on its own, isn't it, so that really couldn't just include that for 700 dollars? 

Mind you I still put my consoles horizontally because I remember reading years ago that it's better that way for airflow, and vertical runs the risk of scratching the disc, but no idea of that's even true still or not. 

The airflow thing isn’t true according to YouTube tech guys including LTT. As for the disks, no idea, aside from Nintendo I haven’t bought a physical game since the PS4 released. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude, this is an industry with Randy Pritchard. The guy who secured Activision and BGS for MS doesn’t come close.

I also just don’t buy him being responsible for the Xbox’s lagging sales. He was 100% correct that people decided where they wanted their digital library to exist last generation. 

The only time XBox has really been able to compete in hardware Sony gave them a year head start and priced their console so high nobody wanted it. 

Agreed on Phil not being a moron.  He’s not even the worst exec they’ve had in charge of the division.  But he’s too idealistic and altruistic to truly take his audience’s best interests to heart IMO.  And that’s led to certain repercussions as of late.  I think he was great for salvaging the Xbox One and convincing higher ups of gaming’s importance, but did so in ways that weren’t very future thinking.  I fully expect him to make the next Xbox open-platform without thinking through the business implications.  Just as he was caught with his pants down over Games Pass slowing down, and with the fallout of the Activison deal.

Sony didn’t “give” Microsoft a year head start with the 360 though.  MS abandoned the first Xbox faster than Nintendo replaced the Wii U.  It was all in the name of beating Sony to the punch.

19 minutes ago, Best said:

If that's the case I'm definitely getting a Pro. 

You'd probably have to do the trade in soon and risk not getting a pro at launch. If you do cash instead of store credit it's probably a lot less so you'll also be limited to preordering at GS

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You'd probably have to do the trade in soon and risk not getting a pro at launch. If you do cash instead of store credit it's probably a lot less so you'll also be limited to preordering at GS

Eww. I'm not giving my PS5 away now for a "chance" to get a Pro in November. 

Lol fuck the entire thing! :p

5 minutes ago, Best said:

Eww. I'm not giving my PS5 away now for a "chance" to get a Pro in November. 

Lol fuck the entire thing! :p

You can call your local store to see how long the promo is until. I think you might need a Pro membership which gets you "up to $385" then the current promo is an extra $25, without Pro it's it's up to $325 + the $25.

• Thanks 1

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Needing to buy the disc drive is the thing that makes this still wholly untenable for me, even at trade in values.

If the disc drive was still there at $700 … I’d still probably want to save for Switch 2 instead.

If someone is already PC gamer, I don't understand the motivation to buy into Sony's ecosystem.  Just put the money into your PC instead.

Sony's games are all coming to PC anyways.

So far the only mid-cycle console I've bothered with was the Series X. If I recall it had a killer trade in deal with RDR2, made a pretty big difference in output resolution, and upgraded me to a 4K Blu Ray player. 

Upgrading my PS5 to the Pro would be a far more expensive upgrade, which I'd need to throw an extra $100 at just to retain the stand and disc drive, both of which I use. Unless the results are far more compelling than what I've seen so far or the price changes dramatically, I'll probably skip it. I really only have a PS5 for the exclusives anyways.

I think it'll be interesting to see how this thing ages. In 3 years will the OG PS5 feel like it's getting sub-standard versions of new games, or will it take a Digital Foundry video to figure out the difference.

• True 1

27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If someone is already PC gamer, I don't understand the motivation to buy into Sony's ecosystem.  Just put the money into your PC instead.

People like myself bought PS5’s during the pandemic when PC part prices were out of control due to the microchip shortage.  It made a lot of sense to buy a console then, if you could find one.  And I liked what they were doing with the DualSense and upgrading PS4 titles, some of which will still likely never make it to PC.

Going forward Sony’s doubled down on bringing pretty much everything to PC.  So unless something similar happens again, this will likely be my last PlayStation generation.

52 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The Xbox "strategy" is incomprehensible to those outside of Microsoft.  What does that say about Phil? 

Is it though? Both EA and Ubisoft are doing something similar with a subscription plan with a tier allowing day one access. Sony thinks it is incomprehensible because they believe it better to milk their customers up front. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Looks like Gamestop is now doing up to $410 for a PS5 trade in

what in the hell are they going to be selling those used PS5s for that $410 is worth it to them? 

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

People like myself bought PS5’s during the pandemic when PC part prices were out of control due to the microchip shortage.  It made a lot of sense to buy a console then, if you could find one.  And I liked what they were doing with the DualSense and upgrading PS4 titles, some of which will still likely never make it to PC.

Going forward Sony’s doubled down on bringing pretty much everything to PC.  So unless something similar happens again, this will likely be my last PlayStation generation.

I was trying to reference going forward.  (I owned every Sony console at launch prior to PS4 pro.)

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is it though? Both EA and Ubisoft are doing something similar with a subscription plan with a tier allowing day one access. Sony thinks it is incomprehensible because they believe it better to milk their customers up front. 

EA and Ubisoft aren't managing a console ecosystem.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was trying to reference going forward.  (I owned every Sony console at launch prior to PS4 pro.)

I traded my PS4 Pro in almost a year early for a good trade in value for the PS5.  And the PS4 for a Pro before that.  It was wonderful, but the gravy train is over now, especially if I want to keep a disc drive.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don’t want to wait a year to play my favourite games, and the price of a pro after selling my ps5 (terms are already agreed on)  is definitely worth it to me. 

Rebirth and FFXVI, Astrobot, Sm2 and other games day and date make the purchase worth it. 

And not having to compromise on performance or quality is also worth it to be. 

Consoles are always going to lead the market. Sony’s gaming division’s revenue tripled Valves in 2023. I love PC gaming, recently built a new rig, but I still game twice as much on consoles. PC is very much where I play a certain kind of games. Shooters, RTS, BGS games, FFXIV, Diablo and its clones, Civilization games. I would never play a platformer like Astro on PC. My PC isn’t getting moved to my c9, it is at its desk with my monitor. Same with RPG’s. absolutely no interest in my first experience with FF7 Rebirth being on a monitor.

That is obviously just preference, and many disagree, but also many do agree, which is why current generation consoles (including Switch) are over 230 million. The Switch is AWFUL hardware for its price and people love it.