PS5 Pro officially announced for November 7 release for the price of...you've gotta be kidding me!

Keyser_Soze

Stepping back from the absurd price, this is a squeeze on the hardcore gamers and enthusiasts (and scalpers). The Pro is not a huge step-up from the base model, so they probably don't want to cut the price of those models. The majority of current owners would be content with the base performance and not going to upgrade no matter the price.  $700 is approaching Nvidia levels of halo pricing because for people looking to first-time buy into a PS5 are not going to see the value in the Pro over the base.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I asked my mom to guess the price sight unseen and she guessed it would be $1000.

So in that regard $700 is a bargain! :o

Legit got that exact same numerical answer from a few others who I happened to ask what they thought the price point was, freaking nuts!

• Sicko Sherman 1

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The reaction to this news is very odd to me lol. 

It is a very expensive item for people who want a high end console. It has very little bearing on the console war, whatever that even is anymore, with MS. 

I didn't even know the console war was still a thing. Xbox feels to be all about cloud and game pass and not about hardware these days.

It is a very expensive item for people who want a high end console. It has very little bearing on the console war, whatever that even is anymore, with MS. 

I didn't even know the console war was still a thing. Xbox feels to be all about cloud and game pass and not about hardware these days.

12 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

• Haha 4

Perhaps the biggest talking point from Sony’s PS5 Pro reveal is its price. At $700 and without a disc drive or stand, the PS5 Pro has sparked vociferous debate online about whether Sony is justified in setting such a high price for the mid-gen upgrade. IGN readers have already had their say on the PS5 Pro's $700 cost, but what’s enabled Sony to be so bold with its pricing?

According to one prominent analyst, there are a number of factors that have contributed to Sony going for $700 (and, relatively, even higher in Europe and Japan). Piers Harding-Rolls, games industry analyst at Ampere, said the PS5 Pro pricing reflects Sony’s adjusted strategy to protect its margin (that is, it is unwilling to sell consoles at a loss), supply chain inflation, and, crucially, “a lack of direct competitor to its mid-cycle upgrade compared to last generation (where Microsoft was preparing the Xbox One X).”

“The lack of competition means it is an easier decision for Sony to run with a higher price point to protect its existing margins,” Harding-Rolls added. “For most prospective PS5 consumers, the standard edition will represent the value sweet spot."

• Haha 1

Damn, IGN :lol:

WWW.IGN.COM

Welcome back to Next-Gen Console Watch! This week, Daemon is joined by Max Scoville from IGN's PlayStation podcast, Podcast Beyond, and Ryan McCaffrey from Unlocked, IGN's Xbox podcast. The topic: the newly announced PS5 Pro and whether it justifies its $700 price tag. Did Sony's PS5 Pro Technical Presentation do enough to convince gamers that a mid-gen upgrade is worth the investment? Does this foreshadow the future of console prices?
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Interesting. 

I’ll wait for just the console. Something tells me it won’t be hard to get. 

Maybe day 1, and maybe through Christmas, but probably not after January. I think this getting bought by the people that bought PSVR2 day one. 

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

it’s not Sony’s fault they’re arrogant and taking advantage of their customers to trap and milk them. It’s really Microsofts. Nice IGN. As unbiased as always. … Sony shills. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I got a bunch of notifications and I was like ah shit what did I say this time. 

• Haha 2

The same Ampere analyst quoted in the IGN article predicts that the PS5 Pro will sell approximately 13 million units by 2029 giving it approximately the lifetime unit volume sell-through as the PS4 Pro.

"The price point of the PS5 Pro will inevitably cause a lot of commentary," said Piers Harding-Rolls, research director for games at Ampere Analysis. "The price point differential between the PS5 and PS5 Pro is between 40-50%, which is significantly more than the differential between the PS4 and PS4 Pro at launch.

"In the US, the PS4 Pro launched at $399 and the slim PS4 was $299 at the time, a 33% differential. Additionally, the slim PS4 had a retail price of $299 having dropped from the original PS4 launch price of $399."

Nevertheless, Ampere expects Sony to sell around 1.3 million PS5 Pros during the console's 2024 launch window, compared to 1.7 million PS4 Pros sold at launch in 2016.

"We expect the price point to soften demand with some consumers, but for PlayStation enthusiasts the pricing is less of a consideration," Harding-Rolls suggested.

Lifetime PS4 Pro sales reached 14.5 million units, accounting for around 12% of total PS4 sales, according to Ampere's data. The firm is forecasting a similar dynamic for the PS5 Pro, with sell-through of around 13 million units by 2029.

ps5-pro-sales-forecast.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The same Ampere analyst quoted in the IGN article predicts that the PS5 Pro will sell approximately 13 million units by 2029 giving it approximately the lifetime unit volume sell-through as the PS4 Pro.

Sounds about right at that price when no Series XX will exist.  But who knows for sure, response has been quite a bit more negative.

On 9/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, Brian said:

If I can preorder the Pro, @Phaseknox you want my PS5?  I don’t think you bought one yet. 

That’s very generous of you to offer, but I’m not interested in a new console at this time.

On 9/9/2024 at 12:26 PM, Best said:

Very nice offer but I think he wants the Pro. And he has the money (from us here) to buy it at release. 

I would need twice as much money as I currently have to get a PS5 Pro since I would want the disc drive and stand, but I’m no longer interested in the PS5 Pro.

On 9/9/2024 at 12:53 PM, Biggie said:

Shit I’d take the PS5 and use the money for the Switch 2

On 9/9/2024 at 1:00 PM, Best said:

True. Especially since Phaseknox isn't a graphics whore he really doesn't need a Pro.

On 9/9/2024 at 1:51 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I actually feel kind of bad for bringing it up but didn't he say recently he's having vision problems? Forget being a graphics whore, I hope he can just see in general.

I can see, but not as good as before. Things are blurrier, light is somewhat dim and colors are somewhat dull. I’m going to get new glasses to see clearer, but the other issues will still remain. It’s for this reason that I’m not as interested in gaming now, and don’t plan on getting a new console.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it’s not Sony’s fault they’re arrogant and taking advantage of their customers to trap and milk them. It’s really Microsofts. Nice IGN. As unbiased as always. … Sony shills. 

They’re just quoting analysts from Ampere and gi.biz.  Probably reading into that too far.