PS5 Pro officially announced for November 7 release for the price of...you've gotta be kidding me!

Keyser_Soze

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's also a de-facto admission by Sony that it no longer considers Microsoft to be a viable competitor in this space.

Crazy how hard they fought the Activision-Blizzard acquisition which in the end, may benefit them the most. 

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Sure, third party multi platform games will just get more features that were PC “exclusive”, but I’ll get those games on PC anyway. I was more so talking about first party/exclusives. 

Fair enough.  In that regard, it’s unfortunate MS isn’t doing a pro machine.  I expect them to try and leapfrog into the next gen though.

On 9/10/2024 at 10:08 AM, SoberChef said:

Be really cool if they dedicated time to explain why we are THIS far into the console cycle, yet they are increasing the prices of their base consoles to begin with, WTF!?

Because inflation has been high for years and they can’t eat even more costs while keeping prices level. I get we all hate it, but consoles and games haven’t kept up to inflation. They raised game prices by 10$, and surely that’s mostly been eaten up by increased costs of production of games to prices never imagined, it’s hard for companies to drop prices, and all movement is likely to be upward. It’s not like manufacturing got cheaper in the last four years for Sony.

Im going to get this. It’s obviously not for everyone, but it’s what I want out of the console. A friend wants my ps5, so I’ll offset some costs that way.

40 minutes ago, Bacon said:

All Sony would have to do is make Bloodborne Remake a PS5 pro exclusive and it would sell. Hell, if it came to both but the pro played it at 60fps people would still eat it up.

From what I hear PS4 emulation is targeting Bloodborne right now and it's in a good place so Sony is running out of time very quickly on that front.

• True 2

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I am always hearing that GTA games, like GTA V are CPU bound. So you’ll still get 30fps. You just might actually get 4K. 

If it can't run GTA 6 at 60fps I'm definitely not getting this. 

I  think an interesting fact that came out of the technical presentation was that about 3/4s of players were choosing performance mode over fidelity.

I feel like that's a strong signal that players want 60fps, which is fascinating since my mental model of console gamers is that they'll tell you "I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps" or "I don't care about the difference" but apparently choose differently :p 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

I  think an interesting fact that came out of the technical presentation was that about 3/4s of players were choosing performance mode over fidelity.

I feel like that's a strong signal that players want 60fps, which is fascinating since my mental model of console gamers is that they'll tell you "I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps" or "I don't care about the difference" but apparently choose differently :p 

Or its the default setting! :p

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brick said:

Not improving the CPU seems like a poor decision, even if that would have also increased the price further. 

9 minutes ago, legend said:

I think legend just answered why.

Most games nowadays are including 60fps modes because gamers have come to expect it, even if they're cutting back in places.  So long as those modes exist, there's leverage for the GPU to push them further, even just in resolution.

It won't help poorly optomized CPU games, or those that target 30fps.  But if that's not what console gamers want today, then its an issue for developers to sort out.  Basically, this is @Xbob42's dream scenario becoming a reality.

• Sicko 1

23 minutes ago, legend said:

which is fascinating since my mental model of console gamers is that they'll tell you "I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps" or "I don't care about the difference" but apparently choose differently

You forgot the “it’s more cinematic!” classic 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think legend just answered why.

Most games nowadays are including 60fps modes because gamers have come to expect it, even if they're cutting back in places.  So long as those modes exist, there's leverage for the GPU to push them further, even just in resolution.

yeah I guess if the CPU is good enough to get 60fps if the resolution us dropped to 1440 or even 1080, then if pisser is more capable than FSR it could reach a higher target resolution. Or same target, but just while doing more (particles, ray tracing, volumetrics, etc)  

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Or its the default setting! :p

A fair point! But my anecdotal memory is consistent to @Bacon remark: seems like it's usually the other way with fidelity as the default. If that's true, that would make the 3/4ths number even more significant!

• Halal 2