PS5 Pro officially announced for November 7 release for the price of...you've gotta be kidding me!

Keyser_Soze

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I really don’t see the price to performance value with this like I did with the Pro or, especially, the XboneX. They seemingly had nothing to even show off with this. Like, if it was taking “40fps mode” and making it 120fps… maybe? But 30 to 60fps on games that already have 40fps VRR was… well… trash.

I think we have to see how its used to see if that is the case. I see UE5 games running kinda terrible within 24 months on the base hardware. If they leverage this custom SOC design, they could see some great performance. Then again, maybe this hardware is only ever leverage with a brute force approach because 95% of their customer base is still on the base console in two years (or PS4!). 

As a current PS5 owner, I have zero interest. While I generally am supportive of disc-less, I would lose the ability to play quite a few of the disc based games that I have and that's a no-go for me. They need a path to convert disc based purchases into digital.

Also... $700 is quite expensive for a mid-gen upgrade.

• True 1

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think we have to see how its used to see if that is the case. I see UE5 games running kinda terrible within 24 months on the base hardware. If they leverage this custom SOC design, they could see some great performance. Then again, maybe this hardware is only ever leverage with a brute force approach because 95% of their customer base is still on the base console in two years (or PS4!). 

I don’t see this selling enough to actually get devs to push games much further like we did with the 4 Pro and XboneX.

• True 1

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t see this selling enough to actually get devs to push games much further like we did with the 4 Pro and XboneX.

It’s doubtful the Pro was going to move the needle on any that if it was much better priced.  Devs aren’t building new raytracing modes and such because it exists.  They’re doing it because of where PC is.

28 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

It's better for sure, but 200 bucks more better?  Ehh. . .at that price, I'd better not see any 30FPS games unless they push 8K or something.

so the concern based on the leaked specs was any game that was CPU limited causing 30fps on a PS5 will still be 30fps on the Pro. You’ll only see an uplift for games that were GPU limited. 

I didn’t watch, but was there any indication the CPU is significantly more powerful in the pro? 

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the hook will be devs getting used to working with SSR for the PS6 where it will be improved and standard. So other than SSR I think you’re right that we may not see much else being leveraged in the Pro. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

so the concern based on the leaked specs was any game that was CPU limited causing 30fps on a PS5 will still be 30fps on the Pro. You’ll only see an uplift for games that were GPU limited. 

I didn’t watch, but was there any indication the CPU is significantly more powerful in the pro? 

I think it's the same Zen 2 chip, maybe boosted clocks or something.  It's the GPU that got the big upgrade, so this is sounding like Sony's Xbox One X, a big GPU upgrade with minimal CPU upgrade just like that system.

This system isn't for me but I might get one in the end when PS5 dies and everybody moves on to PS6 if/when the price drops off as my PS5 is the first-gen digital so I can't add the disc drive to it. I haven't used my PS5 in ages and when I did it was simply to play my PS4 digital library.

35 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

As a current PS5 owner, I have zero interest. While I generally am supportive of disc-less, I would lose the ability to play quite a few of the disc based games that I have and that's a no-go for me. They need a path to convert disc based purchases into digital.

Also... $700 is quite expensive for a mid-gen upgrade.

This like the previous ps5 revision can have the disc drive added on as it's now modular.

• stepee 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What I would give to see the actual market research that indicated that this would be an acceptable price point!

Perhaps its the Overton Window ploy to setup support/manage expectations surrounding the PS6's price tag? 

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s doubtful the Pro was going to move the needle on any that if it was much better priced.  Devs aren’t building new raytracing modes and such because it exists.  They’re doing it because of where PC is.

Sure, third party multi platform games will just get more features that were PC “exclusive”, but I’ll get those games on PC anyway. I was more so talking about first party/exclusives. 

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

It feels like the price is an acknowledgment that consoles are no longer considered a growth market.  We have entered the squeeze your existing base to show growth phase. 

Jump Dancing GIF by Sidetalk

It's also a de-facto admission by Sony that it no longer considers Microsoft to be a viable competitor in this space.

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"What if we were the scalpers?"

During the RTX 3000 series pandemic debacle of people paying $1500+ for a $700 3080, a video card company (I forget which, maybe MSI) was caught putting some of their stock on eBay and letting people bid on them. :p