PS5 Pro officially announced for November 7 release for the price of...you've gotta be kidding me!

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I’m not, while it’s not much I’m sure a lot of people went to focus on the 30th anniversary stuff and there isn’t that much demand for the pro that flipping isn’t worth it.

I’m still surprised that a new console isn’t selling out of its original allotment. I just checked and it is still available to add to your cart. I guess $700 with no launch software is enough to stifle demand

18 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’m still surprised that a new console isn’t selling out of its original allotment. I just checked and it is still available to add to your cart. I guess $700 with no launch software is enough to stifle demand

I think a lot of people are extremely turned off by the price and the power boost vs the OG compared to the PS4 and PS4 Pro

• True 1

3 hours ago, Best said:

This explains me. I could have easily bought one this morning but I litteraly don't want it. 

I watched that digital foundry video, and while some of the difference is noticeable, it's stuff that you can easily live without. I'm usually all over the newest consoles and refreshes too. Not this time. I can live with them charging for the stand. But I have a bunch of 4k/Blu rays. Sony adding on another $80 for the drive is just too far. I'll save that $780 (pre tax) and put it toward the future PS6. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Brian said:

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think a lot of people are extremely turned off by the price and the power boost vs the OG compared to the PS4 and PS4 Pro

Where are you seeing this? They're sold out from all sources I can see. 

Edit: Oh I think the tracker site I'm on doesn't track PS Direct. I see them on there as well. 

I do have to wonder if the Pro will start looking better in a few years when more games start taking better advantage of the hardware, sort of similar to how we saw games run with better bells and whistles on the PS4 Pro versus the regular PS4. We still have probably 5 years left of this generation. 

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

I do have to wonder if the Pro will start looking better in a few years when more games start taking better advantage of the hardware, sort of similar to how we saw games run with better bells and whistles on the PS4 Pro versus the regular PS4. We still have probably 5 years left of this generation. 

I think the big difference with the PS4 Pro as well as the XboneX is that it went from 1080p to 4k with HDR and the “upgrades” were very visible from day one. With PS5 Pro we’re getting “if you freeze frame side-by-side and squint with your face pressed against the screen you can kinda tell the difference”, and while 30 vs 60fps for quality mode is nice, many games support quality mode in the VRR 40fps mode where the up to 60fps is much less “wow”ing, other games that have the 40fps mode in “balanced” have all the bells and whistles from quality but at 1440p render with FSR upscale instead of native 4k.

Also, I’m thinking 2.5-3 years before next gen. Last gen was 7 years long, we’re at 4 years already for current gen.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Also, I’m thinking 2.5-3 years before next gen. Last gen was 7 years long, we’re at 4 years already for current gen

I would normally say the same but I remember seeing a leaked internal document, I think from Microsoft so maybe it was actually from their court case with Activision, where they said the next round of consoles would come out in 2029. I would say at least 4 more years, but given how slow this generation was to really get going (we were getting cross gen games way longer than usual) that's why I'm saying 5, and honestly maybe that's for the better. Nothing wrong with a bit longer generations, especially if we get these mid-gen consoles to keep it fresh. The PS4 and Xbone could have had another year or two on them really. If the PS5 Pro is a big success maybe Microsoft will rethink making a Series Z or whatever. Just wish they had done it sooner so Sony would've had more competition, and made the Pro not as expensive. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I would normally say the same but I remember seeing a leaked internal document, I think from Microsoft so maybe it was actually from their court case with Activision, where they said the next round of consoles would come out in 2029. I would say at least 4 more years, but given how slow this generation was to really get going (we were getting cross gen games way longer than usual) that's why I'm saying 5, and honestly maybe that's for the better. Nothing wrong with a bit longer generations, especially if we get these mid-gen consoles to keep it fresh. The PS4 and Xbone could have had another year or two on them really. If the PS5 Pro is a big success maybe Microsoft will rethink making a Series Z or whatever. Just wish they had done it sooner so Sony would've had more competition, and made the Pro not as expensive. 

I don’t know if Microsoft’s schedule is really worth going by at this point in all honesty. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next Xbox is just a streaming box :lol:

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I don’t know how people say this generation took a long time to get going… I’ve had incredible games one after another, non stop, year after year. 2021 was probably the slowest year of this generation, but was still fine, and 2022 to now has been incredible.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Well shit. I still game on a 1080p tv so I’m sure I will fully see the extra power. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Well shit. I still game on a 1080p tv so I’m sure I will fully see the extra power. 

You will. Not as great a difference as if you had a 4K tv with HDR. You’d at least get the better image clarity and texture quality, where it does it, better frame rate, where it does it, and better or actually using ray tracing, where it does it. 

The PS5 Pro is a GPU upgrade for the PS5. Even displayed at 1080p it will look better. 

That being said you’d probably see the biggest jump in visual quality just upgrading the tv to a 4k HDR tv, and not even getting a Pro. 

• True 1

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

How does the add-on disc player work anyway? How does it connect to the base PS5? Through USB or a proprietary connection unique to the player? Is the quality the same as a PS5 with the disc player built in? 

I'm not actually sure. I don't think there's a cable, it connects flush against the machine and just looks like a normal disc PS5 then.