NBC cuts ‘The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon’ to four nights a week

WWW.LATIMES.COM

As streaming pulls viewers away from traditional TV, the once-lucrative late-night genre is under pressure to bring down costs.

Fallon's show aired four nights a week throughout the summer, the same frequency as other late-night shows, including NBC's "Late Night With Seth Meyers," CBS' "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert," ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" and Comedy Central's "The Daily Show."

"The Tonight Show" is the granddaddy of the desk-and-sofa format, debuting in 1954 with Steve Allen as host and reaching its cultural apex with the three-decade run of Johnny Carson. The New York-based show has aired continually on a five-days-a-week basis since, with Fallon taking over the host chair from Jay Leno in 2014.

Late-night talk shows were long a massively lucrative genre for broadcast networks, with hosts seeing salaries that approached $30 million a year. The shows were highly desirable to advertisers because they were effective at reaching younger viewers.

Many young fans of the late-show hosts know them through videos of segments on social media and YouTube.

While NBC is reducing costs, the network has signed new multiyear deals with Fallon and Meyers that keep them in their roles through 2028.

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The Four Nights a Week Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Hide contents

The Fortnite Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I mean it was already The Five Nights a Week Show not The Every Night Show.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s just matching the rest of late night talk shows now. I think Kimmel still does Fridays, but he also takes the entire summer off. I know Colbert will occasionally do a Friday show but it’s rare iirc

I like when Kimmel is off and he has weekly guest hosts. Not that I don't like Jimmy, the variety makes it more fun.

1 hour ago, Best said:

Am I the only who thinks Fallon is a pos?

He strikes me as insincere. His constant laughing and clapping at anything regardless of whether it's funny makes the act feel much more like an act.

• True 1

41 minutes ago, legend said:

He strikes me as insincere. His constant laughing and clapping at anything regardless of whether it's funny makes the act feel much more like an act.

Exactly. Plus he has a drinking issue and can be an utter dick to staff. 

I can't stand him. 

• Hugs 1

I really enjoy Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, The Daily Show (particularly the Jon Stewart ones of course) and Jimmy Kimmel Live (mostly for their opening monologues/A Closer Look/Corrections segments) and obviously the entirety of Last Week Tonight but I never bother with Jimmy Fallon which says something I think.

Outside of this specific cut to four days a week, it is sad to continue to see cuts to these late night shows. It makes sense given the advent of Youtube clips and streaming and podcasts, etc. but seeing Meyers' show lose its band (he doesn't need one but still) and Kimmel talking about how late night shows will end sooner rather than later and he's worried about his career post late night shows kind of sucks. These guys do better political commentary than actual news shows through their jokes and satire. This is after recent years of seeing Samantha Bee's show Full Frontal get cancelled and Trevor Noah to walk away from The Daily Show. I'll miss these shows once they're gone . . . except Fallon's. :p 

VARIETY.COM

Seth Meyers' "Late Night" will lose its 8G Band come the fall due to budget cuts and new scrutiny by networks on the economics of late-night shows

LASTNIGHTON.COM

The comedian admits he's unsure what to do next.