Black Myth: Wukong sells 18 million (!) units in two weks

crispy4000

On 9/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Journey to the West is a hugely influential piece of fiction in China -- and is largely meaningless to those of us in the West.

20 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

DBZ?

Journey to the West is massively influential in terms of character archetypes, stories and tropes. Dragon Ball is a Japanese adaptation of Journey to the West. 

West audiences may find JttW largely meaningless more out of ignorance. 

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It is absolutely not the responsibility of any market to make games for the culture of another market, lol.

I'm saying it's why American games fail in China. They keep approaching games there like it's an American market. And if they want to make money they SHOULD care.

35 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm saying it's why American games fail in China. They keep approaching games there like it's an American market. And if they want to make money they SHOULD care.

I mean, if they try to make their games appeal specifically to China (like Black Myth) then they're going to lose interest in other regions. I think the best bet is to always just make the game you want to make and know you can make well, rather than trying to awkwardly appeal to a market. Trying to appeal to Americans nearly destroyed the Japanese developer scene for an entire generation!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Journey to the West is massively influential in terms of character archetypes, stories and tropes. Dragon Ball is a Japanese adaptation of Journey to the West. 

West audiences may find JttW largely meaningless more out of ignorance. 

That’s the point. We’re mostly ignorant of it / don’t care about it. 
That doesn’t mean westerners can’t enjoy the game. It means the IP has little initial draw for most of us. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, if they try to make their games appeal specifically to China (like Black Myth) then they're going to lose interest in other regions. I think the best bet is to always just make the game you want to make and know you can make well, rather than trying to awkwardly appeal to a market. Trying to appeal to Americans nearly destroyed the Japanese developer scene for an entire generation!

They already make games just for the Chinese market but they're just clones of American games.