The 2024-25 Mock Gambling Thread - WEEK 1 - MGT Year 7 GO!

Slug

WELCOME to the 2024-25 edition of the Mock Gambling Thread!  It's been a busy off-season for the NFL!  Lots of new coaches and a ton of player turnover means there are a lot of questions marks across the League.  Who'll stand out?  Who'll step up?  It's going to be an interesting season.  But more important is that the smell of cut grass, the leaves starting to turn, and annoying ass crickets chirping in my basement means it's time for the return of the MGT!  Will silentbob defend his title?  Will a previous winner come back to reclaim the crown?  Or will someone new add their name to the list of champions?  Year 7 of the MGT is now underway!

##########################

The Mock Gambling Thread ("MGT") is a competition that is a part gambling and part prediction contest. The competition lasts for the entirety of the NFL season and post-season, concluding with the final of the Super Bowl, and is open to all regular board members.  Each player will have some amount of fictional money that can be gambled on each week's Feature Game. There are two ways to increase your cash:

•  Bet on the outcome of the Featured Game each week (with the spread). The featured game will be chosen each week from among the nationally televised games with the line set from when I post the thread.
  • There will be a number of questions that will ask you to make predictions or to forecast certain outcomes across the NFL during the week. Correct answers earn you cash. You do not lose cash for wrong answers. The types of questions will vary each week, as will the amount of cash they can earn you.

The competition continues through NFL season and post-season. At the conclusion of the Super Bowl the user with the most "cash" left will be the winner.

THE RULES
1. You make your bet and answer the questions simply by posting on the thread each week with your pick for the featured game along with your bet, followed by your answers to the prediction questions.  See my example entry at the end of each week's thread if you're confused.

2. Everyone starts with $1,000 to wager. If a user doesn't start until week 3 or later, they still start with $1,000.

3. If you somehow reach $0 you are NOT out of the competition. You can't bet on the feature game during weeks that you are broke, but you can answer the prediction questions and hope to earn cash to gamble the following week.

4. IMPORTANT: I will set a deadline for getting your entries for the week in (usually right before kick-off of that week's first game). It is imperative that you make your post before the deadline. The entry thread will be locked at the deadline so if you don't get your entry in by then you lose out on the chance to make money that week.

5. I work full time AND am 24/7 on-call AND have a near crippling video game addiction AND travel a lot AND enjoy adult beverage from time to time! Responsibilities and personality flaws allowing, I will attempt to post the week's results and the next week's game/questions each Tuesday, as early as possible. Keep in mind though that there may be some wackiness here and there based on my schedule and hangovers. Pay attention.

6. For the official recording of stats/yardage NFL.com will be used. Whatever their site says on Tuesday morning is what counts.  No whining.

7. Accounts created within the current calendar month are not eligible to play and any entries from such accounts will not be considered.

If you have any questions, ASK!

Prize(s): The winner will be declared the Champion of the 7th D1P Edition of the Mock Gambling Thread and also take home a Fanatics.com gift card so you can get some swag from your team!

@silentbob @Keyser_Soze @thewhyteboar @Commissar SFLUFAN @Biggie @AbsolutSurgen @Best @Kal-El814 @Brian 

• Hype 7

WEEK 1 MOCK GAMBLING - SPREAD AND QUESTIONS

DEADLINE FOR WEEK 1 ENTRIES - 9/5/2024 (Thursday) 20:19 EASTERN
THREAD WILL BE LOCKED AT THE DEADLINE SO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!

Week 1 Feature Game
LA Rams (+3.5) @ Detroit Lions
(Remember you are betting against the spread, not just the outright winner)

QUESTIONS
1) What will be the first scoring play of the Feature Game? Rams TD, Rams FG, Rams safety, Lions TD, Lions FG, Lions safety, or other? ($200 for the correct call)

2) How many total passing yards (both teams) will be thrown in the Feature Game? Under 200, 200-300, 301-400, 401-500, 501-600, or 600+.  ($200 for the right answer)

3) Which team will score first in the season opener Thursday night, Baltimore or Kansas City? ($100 for the right answer)

4) Name the quarterback that will have the most rushing yards in Week 1. ($300 for the right player)

5) Call the winners:
Green Bay at Philadelphia
Minnesota at New York Giants
Houston at Indianapolis
($100 for each correctly named winner, $200 bonus if you hit all 3)

Good luck!

### Example Answer Post and MY ENTRY ###
Detroit for $400
1. Detroit TD
2. 401-500
3. Baltimore
4. Jayden Daniels
5. Eagles, Vikings, Colts
#####################

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, Slug said:

Deadline is tonight!  Get your entries in! 

Also @ anyone who might wanna play and who might not have seen this!

Fuck me I will get my entry in very soon!

• Slug locked this topic