Fare thee well, AnandTech

It is with great sadness that I find myself penning the hardest news post I’ve ever needed to write here at AnandTech. After over 27 years of covering the wide – and wild – word of computing hardware, today is AnandTech’s final day of publication.

For better or worse, we’ve reached the end of a long journey – one that started with a review of an AMD processor, and has ended with the review of an AMD processor. It’s fittingly poetic, but it is also a testament to the fact that we’ve spent the last 27 years doing what we love, covering the chips that are the lifeblood of the computing industry.

A lot of things have changed in the last quarter-century – in 1997 NVIDIA had yet to even coin the term “GPU” – and we’ve been fortunate to watch the world of hardware continue to evolve over the time period. We’ve gone from boxy desktop computers and laptops that today we’d charitably classify as portable desktops, to pocket computers where even the cheapest budget device puts the fastest PC of 1997 to shame.

The years have also brought some monumental changes to the world of publishing. AnandTech was hardly the first hardware enthusiast website, nor will we be the last. But we were fortunate to thrive in the past couple of decades, when so many of our peers did not, thanks to a combination of hard work, strategic investments in people and products, even more hard work, and the support of our many friends, colleagues, and readers.

Still, few things last forever, and the market for written tech journalism is not what it once was – nor will it ever be again. So, the time has come for AnandTech to wrap up its work, and let the next generation of tech journalists take their place within the zeitgeist.

It has been my immense privilege to write for AnandTech for the past 19 years – and to manage it as its editor-in-chief for the past decade. And while I carry more than a bit of remorse in being AnandTech’s final boss, I can at least take pride in everything we’ve accomplished over the years, whether it’s lauding some legendary products, writing technology primers that still remain relevant today, or watching new stars rise in expected places. There is still more that I had wanted AnandTech to do, but after 21,500 articles, this was a good start.

And while the AnandTech staff is riding off into the sunset, I am happy to report that the site itself won’t be going anywhere for a while. Our publisher, Future PLC, will be keeping the AnandTech website and its many articles live indefinitely. So that all of the content we’ve created over the years remains accessible and citable. Even without new articles to add to the collection, I expect that many of the things we’ve written over the past couple of decades will remain relevant for years to come – and remain accessible just as long.

The AnandTech Forums will also continue to be operated by Future’s community team and our dedicated troop of moderators. With forum threads going back to 1999 (and some active members just as long), the forums have a history almost as long and as storied as AnandTech itself (wounded monitor children, anyone?). So even when AnandTech is no longer publishing articles, we’ll still have a place for everyone to talk about the latest in technology – and have those discussions last longer than 48 hours.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

One of the few tech sites that I always considered authoritative, at least when they still had all their best folk. Given their slowed output the last couple years, this isn't a surprise, but it's still a shame.

I'd love to hear if anyone has suggestions for sites that have a similar technical expertise. I used to frequent Toms Hardware and [H]ardOCP, but Tom's isn't great and Hard is dead. It really seems like all the effort went to YouTube, but I hate videos that should be articles, and when it comes to chipset reviews or something, I really prefer articles.

Even though I rarely visited the site (I know, part of the problem), it's still very sad to see such a staple of the industry go under. :/ I've been reading the occasional article on their site for years.  

It's sad but they were steeply declining for a long time. Their coverage was my go-to for CPU and graphics card reviews, and I spent many an hour pouring over their technical deep dives into GPU architectures. At one point their thorough articles inspired me to become a graphics programmer. It didn't happen, but they inspired me!

I was just a teenager when I started reading their site. A lot of fond memories.

At least they're keeping the site up and not just deep sixing everything without warning, and even keeping the forums open.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Facebook should never be forgiven for tipping the scale and lying about this.

Shoot Up Shots Fired GIF by BrownSugarApp

• True 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:43 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I realized there might not be a future for many of these sites when my beloved [H]ardOCP went down. 

The move to video has been rough. Impressed that they made it this long. 

It was my understanding that Toms got bought out and it has a different feel now, maybe that's keeping them alive, but I will miss Anandtech and [H]ardOCP. The idea of curating the Internet experience through whatever social media platform is en vogue at the time bothers me, especially when I saw the Internet at its best when the original content creators were actually people who had do it all from scratch.

On 8/30/2024 at 3:43 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I realized there might not be a future for many of these sites when my beloved [H]ardOCP went down. 

The move to video has been rough. Impressed that they made it this long. 

At least the forums for both still live on, albeit in a decreased capacity.  HOCP was my go-to forum 20 years ago, along with overclockers.

• 2 weeks later...