DoJ IG report: FBI failing to report all suspected child sexual abuse cases to appropriate law enforcement authorities

APNEWS.COM

A Justice Department report finds that the FBI has failed to report all suspected child sexual abuse cases to appropriate law enforcement agencies despite changes prompted by its handling of the case against former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar.

The FBI has failed to report all suspected child sexual abuse cases to appropriate law enforcement agencies despite changes prompted by its handling of the case against former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar, according to a Justice Department watchdog report released Thursday.

In a review of more than 300 cases in 2021 and 2023, the inspector general found no evidence that the FBI complied with mandatory reporting requirements to local law enforcement about 50 percent of the time. When the FBI did make a report, it did so within the 24-hour period, as is required by Justice Department policy, in only 43 percent of the cases.

In one case, the FBI did not take appropriate investigative action for more than a year after it received an allegation of abuse by a registered sex offender, according to the report. The person was accused of abusing at least one other person over 15 months while the FBI failed to appropriately act, the review found.

The inquiry was brought about by the FBI’s failures to promptly investigate Larry Nassar. It found numerous problems with the agency’s handling of allegations of sex crimes against children, and the inspector general flagged 42 cases to the FBI in which it found concerns, included ones where there was no evidence of that the FBI had taken any recent investigative steps.

Please feel free to resign Merrick Garland and Christopher Wray.

• Guillotine 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DoJ IG report: FBI failing to report all suspected child sexual abuse cases to appropriate law enforcement authorities
1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When are they going to get around to talking about how many Cops are involved with crimes against children? Law Professor friend of mine did some research on this a couple oif years ago... spoiler alert: It's a LOT.

About two and a half months ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2024/police-officers-child-sexual-abuse-in-america/

• Thanks 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I missed this. Gonna send it to my friend to see if he knows about it. He probably does... he did some work for the D.A.'s office for a major city investigating Police misconduct and discovered an alarming number of these instances in that city alone. It then took him down a very dark rabbit hole. In law school his area of expertise was juvenile justice so it was right up his alley. He's told me some horror stories.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When are they going to get around to talking about how many Cops are involved with crimes against children? Law Professor friend of mine did some research on this a couple oif years ago... spoiler alert: It's a LOT.

Churches too

• True 1

Just now, Uaarkson said:

I’m usually not one for extremes but child rapists should be killed and child molesters should be jailed and castrated

Yes but apparently we have to worry about the monsters doing these crimes or something 

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think folks are pretty aware of predators in churches. Law enforcement, far less so.

I mean if we really want to step back any hierarchical system creates imbalances which can lead to gross violations of trust and power like sexual assault and other forms of abuse. But there’s still a lot of people in denial about this issue especially in white evangelical spaces! They’ll go on about the abuse we all know of in the Catholic Church, while ignoring the abuses in their faith tradition. 

Literally every job where people come into contact with minors has sexual predators.  Churches, police, corrections, sports...  Oddly I feel like schools have the least incidences of this, but they're probably the only ones scrutinized for it.

On 8/29/2024 at 11:46 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Speaking of...

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Matthew Farwell is charged in the Feb. 1, 2021, death in Massachusetts of Sandra Birchmore, who weeks earlier had told him she was pregnant with...

These sorts of stories are far too common and now we know the FBI ignores half of them.

• Sad 1