Happy 10th Anniversary to all those who celebrate

5 minutes ago, Best said:

I don't understand why there was controversy with him wearing a tan suit?

The real controversy was he was a black man in the White House as president. Everything else was just manufactured outrage by the right wing media

• True 6
  • Halal 2

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The real controversy was he was a black man in the White House as president. Everything else was just manufactured outrage by the right wing media

19 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I wish I could wear a tan suit without looking like a sad sack of beige

Well that was the undertone of the whole thing, right?

It was a bank shot over his race because, aesthetically speaking, a black guy can pull off a tan suit a lot easier than a white guy....so by definition a tan suit must be "unpresidential".

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Well that was the undertone of the whole thing, right?

100%, because just like 99% of his "controversies", he was FAR from the first president to do it. Tan suits in the White House go back to at least FDR. If not further. Including both Bushes. 

And let's not forget we had four years (and hopefully only four years) of a president actually committing first ever controversies on a damn near daily basis (except on weekends during vacation) and it was constantly covered as "it's a presidential thing to do because he's president and therefore anything he does is presidential".A stark contrast to the daily "He's using Dijon! That's so unpresidential!" 

48 minutes ago, ort said:

He just wore tan to hide all the dijon mustard stains.

I could never be a politician, let alone the president.  I don't like raw onions or mustard, so if I showed my face at Ben's Chili Bowl in DC and ordered a hot dog without those, my critics would have a field day.

5 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I could never be a politician, let alone the president.  I don't like raw onions or mustard, so if I showed my face at Ben's Chili Bowl in DC and ordered a hot dog without those, my critics would have a field day.

I'd just go from town to town eating cold Nathan's hot dogs from a pack I keep in my pocket.

Obama is THE bar to clear for being an orator as a head of state. That man is compelling AF when he speaks. I miss that feeling of being a part of something, believing you could bring about real change by actively voting for him, having that charge in an election! Both 2008 & 2012 (albeit ever so slightly diminished), I'd say are my two favorite Presidential elections I have ever played a small part of. Been real fucking dire since that's for goddamn sure.

• True 1

13 hours ago, Best said:

I don't understand why there was controversy with him wearing a tan suit?

I know others already said it, but, basically, a black man being elected president broke Republican brains so badly that they started wearing tea bags on their heads at rallies (no…. really… literally).

• stepee 1
  • True 1

4 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Obama is THE bar to clear for being an orator as a head of state. That man is compelling AF when he speaks. I miss that feeling of being a part of something, believing you could bring about real change by actively voting for him, having that charge in an election! Both 2008 & 2012 (albeit ever so slightly diminished), I'd say are my two favorite Presidential elections I have ever played a small part of. Been real fucking dire since that's for goddamn sure.

It’s why his presidency was such a let down in hindsight to me; we could’ve had real transformational change but instead we got a handout to insurance companies and an expansion in drone strikes plus a surge.

• Halal 2

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I know others already said it, but, basically, a black man being elected president broke Republican brains so badly that they started wearing tea bags on their heads at rallies (no…. really… literally).

I didn't pay any attention to politics that era nor did I vote. I always had a positive opinion of Obama. 

6 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

It’s why his presidency was such a let down in hindsight to me; we could’ve had real transformational change but instead we got a handout to insurance companies and an expansion in drone strikes plus a surge.

This. His presidency was an incredible let down. I thought he'd be a trailblazing president that did Bernie-type/level changes once in office (and he had a super majority at once point!) yet he was basically a Democratic centrist technocrat. Joe Biden did more in 4 years than Obama did in 8 years it feels like yet Obama is more well remembered because of his likeability and oratory when what matters is what did you actually fucking pass and sign into law/policy? Incredible disappointment. I like Obama a lot still, but his presidency could have been so much more. Not saying he didn't do anything, our social values moved forward considerably as a culture under his stewardship and there's always the ACA and he maintained great relationships abroad and got the world to like us again after 8 years of Bush and we did get through the 2008 recession under him but yeah - ultimately was lame.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

and he had a super majority at once point!

That supermajority was full of Joe manchin clones from places that are now R+30 and the reps were actually minorly better than republicans in only few regards, people really keep forgetting this

• True 2
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That supermajority was full of Joe manchin clones from places that are now R+30 and the reps were actually minorly better than republicans in only few regards, people really keep forgetting this

I do remember it to a degree (I don't remember just how many of those there were though) but the the more important point is that Obama wasn't a firebrand like I expected. He didn't push his advantage as hard as I thought he was going to. I know he reportedly said a lot behind closed doors to allies about his frustrations but at the same time he didn't hold to the image he used when campaigning. Now, that's always the case with politicians given the slow ass mechanics and obstacles of government, but Obama's felt outsized, the disparity between his messaging and what he actually did being too wide. Again, Biden seems to have done more with less.