Update (08/29): French site posts drawing of "final" design of PS5 Pro

WCCFTECH.COM

Wccftech can confirm that PS5 Pro was an open secret at Gamescom 2024, having also heard that PS5 Pro specs have been shared with developers.

The existence of the PS5 Pro was long discussed throughout 2024 thanks to various leaks and rumors, but the latest State of Play that aired in late May didn't feature any announcement for the new hardware. With Summer drawing to a close soon, some fans wondered whether the more powerful PlayStation 5 iteration had been delayed. However, at the Gamescom 2024 that's being held this week in Cologne, developers started talking.

Without even being prodded by me at all, a developer that I won't name openly said they had received the specs of the PS5 Pro and were confident that Unreal Engine 5 would run much better on the new hardware compared to the regular PlayStation 5. Considering the circumstances revealed by Multiplayer, I'm positive this is not the same developer they talked to. Moreover, the studio I heard it from is not at all a big one, which makes it clear the hardware's specifications and details are already in the hands of a large number of game makers.

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Giant Bomb's Jeff Grubb has claimed that a PlayStation State of Play will likely be released by the end of September.

Giant Bomb’s Jeff Grubb has claimed that a PlayStation State of Play will likely be released by the end of September.

The rumor came during today’s Game Mess Mornings, when after speaking on the PlayStation 5 Pro, Grubb said, “There is probably going to be a PlayStation State of Play by the end of September.” Unfortunately, Grubb didn’t dive into what could be announced during the event. Still, both he and his co-host guest theorized that it could be something akin to a PS5 Pro announcement followed by a miniature games showcase on the new console.

The PlayStation 5 Pro was reportedly heavily talked about at Gamescom this year, with wccftech and the Italian website Multiplayer both hearing from developers that the console is on its way.

Just now, Best said:

I'm probably going to bite basically because how UE5 will be the future. 

Now, will it allow these UE5 games at 60fps? That's my biggest question. 

Without even being prodded by me at all, a developer that I won't name openly said they had received the specs of the PS5 Pro and were confident that Unreal Engine 5 would run much better on the new hardware compared to the regular PlayStation 5. 

Just now, Best said:

Oh I read everything but that doesn't guarantee it running at 60fps. 

Whether or not it runs a particular UE5 game at 60FPS is very much a developer decision.

You can stuff a UE5 game with as many high-end graphical bells and whistles as you possibly can to the point where it will never run at 60fps or you can pare them back to hit that target.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You trade off IQ, resolution and frame rate.  You/developer pick 2, and the third is a result of those choices.

Ok. Well it's a game by game basis then. I'll really have to research the pro to see if it's worth the $500 or more price tag. 

Grubb said, “There is probably going to be a PlayStation State of Play by the end of September.”

Probably be a president elected this year too

Still, both he and his co-host guest theorized that it could be something akin to a PS5 Pro announcement followed by a miniature games showcase on the new console.

A console announced with games? No way. I’m shocked.

I theorize he is an ass and deserves to be bant. He is the most wishy washy insider I have ever seen. 

On 5/30/2024 at 12:45 AM, stepee said:

I still say we invite him here then ban him

Let’s make it happen  #BanGrubb

WWW.DEALABS.COM

Découvrez en exclusivité le design et plein d'informations inédites sur la nouvelle console à venir de Sony.

Official name: No surprises here, as we now know for certain that the console will indeed be called "PS5 Pro".

PS5 Pro design: We were able to obtain a visual of the front of the new console's final packaging. This gave us an idea of the PS5 Pro's final design, which has never been leaked before. For copyright reasons, we won't be able to share this visual. However, you can see below a sketch we drew illustrating the design of the PS5 Pro.

The design is very similar to that of the PS5 Slim. The console's exterior is the same white color. 2 USB-C ports and the power button will also be present on the console's front panel. The first difference to be noticed from our sketch is the presence of three black stripes in the middle of the PS5 Pro's exterior. However, the type of front panel remains similar to that of the PS5 Slim. And we imagine that it will be possible to re-use the replacement front panels designed for the PS5 Slim.

No disc drive?
Unfortunately, we're not quite sure about this yet. After all, the visual we have is of a PS5 Pro without a disc drive. However, and even if we don't think this will be the case, we're not aware of the existence of an edition with a disc drive. Although it will undoubtedly be possible to affix a disc drive (as with the PS5 Slim), we think this is more a commercial choice on Sony's part, in order to launch this console onto the market at a competitive price by reducing the cost of the (optional for some) presence of a disc drive.

Announcement date: Although Sony's plans can change at any time, the PS5 Pro will be announced very soon. We expect the announcement to be made in the first half of September 2024.

PS5-Pro-croquis.jpg

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (08/29): French site posts drawing of "final" design of PS5 Pro
11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think I’m probably good.  It’s time for a new PC.  I think I’d only consider a Sony console again to avoid stutter in some games.  But those I might be willing to play on base PS5 anyways.

I'm really conflicted in buying one because 30fps doesn't bother me at all. I have to really see what the Pro offers before paying $600. 

2 hours ago, Best said:

I'm really conflicted in buying one because 30fps doesn't bother me at all. I have to really see what the Pro offers before paying $600. 

The image and motion quality issues in a lot of UE5 (and other) games lately has been rough, and will likely only get worse once a PS5 Pro is out.  We’re at the point where even 30fps quality modes can be questionable, because devs keep making the wrong compromises or letting things like poor frame pacing slide.  And we’re only just now past cross-gen with most major releases.

It both isn’t needed and sorely needed IMO.

4 minutes ago, jaethos said:

I'm considering getting one, I'd be cool trading in my PS5 towards it. I plan on upgrading my PC later this year/beginning of next year though, so I'll have to see how things go.

For some inexplicable reason I didn't think about trading my current PS5 in for a Pro. 

I might go that route.